Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One pet peeve I have with you Resi guys ....

Post Likes

One pet peeve I have with you Resi guys ....

ya'll get lazy when it comes to running a little piece of liquid tight "Separate" for the Low Voltage wire on Out Door Unit

Why isnt it a thing ?

You know a weed trimmers gonna damage it one day , or a Dog , and the Sun makes it crack all to hell after a while

Post Likes
    I see it all too common on RTUs as well. The sun gets it every time. It’s SO easy to do at the time of install!!!
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    ya'll get lazy when it comes to running a little piece of liquid tight "Separate" for the Low Voltage wire on Out Door Unit

Why isnt it a thing ?

You know a weed trimmers gonna damage it one day , or a Dog , and the Sun makes it crack all to hell after a while
    I do that any chance I get. Also if i repair a thermostat wire I solder and heat shrink it and run conduit to make my repair permanent.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

4. Likes dieseldude liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    if i repair a thermostat wire I solder and heat shrink it and run conduit to make my repair permanent.
    wow thats a great idea

I assume you carry one of little butane torches

Post Likes
    wow thats a great idea

I assume you carry one of little butane torches
    No i have a cheap digital pen soldering iron and an extension cord and of course good old lead solder.

https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Adj...ed+sol&sr=8-12

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I see it all too common on RTUs as well. The sun gets it every time. It’s SO easy to do at the time of install!!!
    I think some companies view it as future service calls

I see it as not doing the job correctly

We make plenty of money , so why not do a nice job for the people

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Can also use super tube aka condensate tube which either one will pass inspection. Its required in N.c to sleeve the t stat wire.

Post Likes
    hmmm , yea that clear tube is pretty tough

I wonder how its holds up the the sun rays

Post Likes
    hmmm , yea that clear tube is pretty tough

I wonder how its holds up the the sun rays
    It may be tough but it doesn't have fittings for connecting to the condenser.

Post Likes
    It is certainly code to be separate and in conduit

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    There is no place to connect the conduit on a Trane Resi condenser. I didn't think control wiring had to be in conduit of any kind, unless it changed. At a code class I asked the instructor basically concerning load controllers as some were running like an 18-5 stranded wire, 2 were tied to 240, 2 were tied to control and 1 was ground. Not only was the 240 not in conduit but the control wire and 240 wires were in the same bundle. He said as long as the wire was rated for 600V it was up to code. I pushed him on the conduit and power/control same bundle thing and he stood his ground. He stance was that even though it was 240V it was carrying a signal to the controller, not amperage. As such as long as the insulation was high enough it was still classed as control and didn't need conduit.

Post Likes
    It doesn't go straight into the control compartment but I have connected conduit to a train for the thermostat wire. Then I run the thermostat wire looped back through into the control compartment because I don't like doing the wire connections where they can get wet when cleaning the unit like most people seem to.
    I don't remember having any problem connecting it but it has been a while. If all else fails I have a step drill.

Post Likes
    I think the key is properly dressing the line set. Most of the time the lines, conduit and control wire are all bundled together and I try to tuck the control wire in the crevice where the conduit and suction line meet. It looks neater and leaves nothing out where it is solely exposed to damage. Have you ever seen where the sealtite was left draped across the gap between the disconnect and unit and some ass jockey somehow breaks the concentric rings out of the disconnect leaving the conduit hanging by the live 240 wires? They have a much harder time doing that with a bundle.

17. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    We put the low voltage wire in condensate pump tubing... and push the tubing into the condenser and wall of the building... and as noted above... tape it in a bundle with the lineset.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    I think that in a new install, new construction, the residential is so cut throat, you would lose jobs. That may be the mentality that contractors have towards your question. Run it in sch 80 PVC, underground would be best.
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

20. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artietech View Post
    Run it in sch 80 PVC, underground would be best.
    that might slow the weed whacker guys down , but I dunno , they are pretty brutal with those things

22. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    that might slow the weed whacker guys down , but I dunno , they are pretty brutal with those things
    They have steel blades for that.

Post Likes
    Something I try to do most times is slide it in with the line voltage wires so it's protected in the same liquid tight as the 240v wires. If that's not an option for whatever reason I will make sure to bundle it in tight so it's not easily exposed to weed whackers. Under no circumstances do I leave it hanging loosely in the open.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by YOUNG FROSTY View Post
    Something I try to do most times is slide it in with the line voltage wires so it's protected in the same liquid tight as the 240v wires. If that's not an option for whatever reason I will make sure to bundle it in tight so it's not easily exposed to weed whackers. Under no circumstances do I leave it hanging loosely in the open.
    You are not supposed to run control and power in the same conduit, and that goes double if it is communicating.

26. Likes R600a, BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by YOUNG FROSTY View Post
    Is that even legal? And if it is is it smart.
    I would much rather repair damaged stat wire than chase my tail over induced voltage faults or replace low voltage components that get cooked by 240v.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast