+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using an ECM motor out of a furnace

Post Likes

Using an ECM motor out of a furnace

Has anyone came upon a way to "convert" an ECM motor to make it just have a speed or two or three? I have a furnace blower with an ECM that I want to use as the old style to convert into a shop fan like the old ones used to be able to do with different speed taps. I'd even be happy if I could find a way to make it just turn on to full speed without being in a furnace and lining up with the heating sequence.

Post Likes
    Google search ways to test speeds on your ecm type, then make it permanent.
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

3. Likes jaddenney liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Does this ECM require "back EMF" in order to work properly? The back emf works w/ the duct work restriction?

Post Likes
    Do you mean an ECM, or a VS ECM.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Do you mean an ECM, or a VS ECM.
    Honestly, not 100% sure. A friend is giving it to me as they are replacing their furnace with an upgraded one and he told me "it's one of those funky ones with a lot of wires going to it", so I'm assuming its a VS ECM, but can't confirm till I get it later in the week. Just getting ahead of the ball to have ideas for when I get my hands on it.
    Thanks

Post Likes
    There is probably a way to run it in full speed. There was a thread on this a while back where I posted a picture of the test tool that powers ecms at full speed... Tecmate pro

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    I believe the test mode does a part speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes

Using an ECM motor out of a furnace

Quote Originally Posted by jaddenney View Post
    Has anyone came upon a way to "convert" an ECM motor to make it just have a speed or two or three? I have a furnace blower with an ECM that I want to use as the old style to convert into a shop fan like the old ones used to be able to do with different speed taps. I'd even be happy if I could find a way to make it just turn on to full speed without being in a furnace and lining up with the heating sequence.
    It depends on the type of ECM.

If its a constant torque type, then you can just trigger which speed you want.

If true VS - probably not worth the trouble. Ive tinkered with a 2.0 maybe 3.0 I forget which- to very limited success. Essentially not worth it.

If it has a 16 pin connector, then you can via the low voltage terminals run fixed speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I snagged an ECM out of a salvaged air handler and put it in my own. Make sure it’s out of a comparable unit to the one you’re installing it in so the blower performance chart can match up close. With a furnace, you might need a relay or two to kick the blower on with heat, but it’s definitely doable.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in