Thread: Payne furnace shutting off after 3 minutes

Post Likes

Payne furnace shutting off after 3 minutes

My Payne gas furnace is old (don't know age, and model), but still working fine. A couple of days ago, the thermostat was telling me it needed a new battery. I removed it and installed a new battery. The heat stopped working. It says heat on, but nothing is happening. I assumed thermostat broke, so I ordered a new one. The new one is a "smart" unit, but it requires a C wire and I only have an R and W wires going to the thermostat location (only two wires), so I ordered a Common Maker Fast-Stat.

In the meanwhile, as I wait for the parts to arrive, I wanted to test and see if the furnace is working.

I shut power to the furnace (and thermostat) and removed the thermostat base, exposing the R and W wires (only two wires go to the thermostat). I verified that there was no power to the thermostat via a voltmeter.

I switched power back on, and connected my voltmeter to the R and W wires at the thermostat. It registered about 24 volts. I switched the power off, and twisted the R and W wires together at the thermostat location, and then switched the power back on. The Payne Furnace sprung to life, the pilot lights came on, and 40 seconds later, it lit up, fan started, etc. and then 2 minutes and 20 seconds later (for a total of 3 minutes) everything stopped. Fans, furnace, etc.

I trued switching power on and off, nothing. I waited about an hour, and then restarted the power with the R and W wires twisted at the thermostat, and this time the furnace started, same thing: stopped 3 minutes into it.

I am wondering if the furnace behavior is right (stopping after 3 minutes if there is no thermostat and the R and W wires are directly connected at the thermostat), or is there something wrong with my furnace?
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Post Likes
    Your unit is NOT working properly. Get a service tech out there.

Post Likes
    Something is wrong with the furnace, and could have been the cause of the thermostat issue.
    Hopefully you didn’t order a Nest.
    If it’s a old pilot operated furnace, hopefully your getting it serviced annually to check for safe operation.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

4. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Per site rules no DIY allowed.
    As mentioned you should have it professionally checked for performance and safety.
    Thread closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Dislikes VTP99 disliked this post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in