Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with HVAC readings, probable compressor problem??

Post Likes

Help with HVAC readings, probable compressor problem??

Dear AOP's,

I need help with reading these numbers and troubleshoot my HVAC if possible. My A/C is blowing cold air but is taking way longer than usual to cool the indoors. So my realtor friend came in and ran some quick tests and said the compressor is probably going bad and in need of a new compressor. I have a trane XB 13 4.0 ton unit which is 13 years old.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Regards,

Max
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Likes
    Is that the realtors manifold ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    Is that the realtors manifold ?
    No idea, didn't ask. Was it a wrong instrument to use?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by maxmayo123 View Post
    No idea, didn't ask. Was it a wrong instrument to use?
    Not at all, I was just surprised a realtor would have one.

Post Likes
    Certainly doesn’t look good.

6. Likes maxmayo123 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    Certainly doesn’t look good.
    So what would it likely be? Compressor, condenser, freon, coils??? I have a home warranty coverage and need to know something about my hvac status before I make a service call.

If only I know what those numbers mean.

Max.

Post Likes
    The left side is to high and the right side is to low.

9. Likes maxmayo123 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Looks like it wasn't running while the gauges were connected.

Post Likes
    So what would it likely be? Compressor, condenser, freon, coils??? I have a home warranty coverage and need to know something about my hvac status before I make a service call.

If only I know what those numbers mean.

Max.
    Home Warranty Coverage

12. Likes maxmayo123 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Home Warranty Coverage
    lol!!

Thanks!

Max.

Post Likes
    Home warranty sucks. They pay so little that most contractors refuse to work for them, me included. You're fooling yourself if you think that HW is a good deal.
    Google "home warranty complaints" to see how lousy their service really is.

BTW, this is not a DIY site and the questions you asked about what those numbers mean falls into the DIY category.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    I'm still scratching my head on a realtor with a digital manifold.🤔

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Home warranty sucks. They pay so little that most contractors refuse to work for them, me included. You're fooling yourself if you think that HW is a good deal.
    Google "home warranty complaints" to see how lousy their service really is.
    I only had a limited experience with them, got my garage fixed when the circuit board got fried. Will see where it takes me regarding my AC.

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    BTW, this is not a DIY site and the questions you asked about what those numbers mean falls into the DIY category.
    It kinda made sense when I'm getting indirect responses. But I've learned way lot more in the past 12 hours than since those readings. Thanks y'all!!!

Max.

Post Likes
    I'm still scratching my head on a realtor with a digital manifold.��
    I only had very good experiences with my realtor. Before I first bought this house, he sent in an intern to do a free structural inspection and measurements on it and interpreted the results to me. Sent in handy man for simple jobs (like a breaker fuse replacement for which an electrician wanted $120, and I know no sht about anything at that time). He is just a wonderful person to have around, always helpful. Maybe he uses the manifold as a side job, but he responded when I needed some troubleshooting. That's good enough for me.

Post Likes
    I only had very good experiences with my realtor. Before I first bought this house, he sent in an intern to do a free structural inspection and measurements on it and interpreted the results to me. Sent in handy man for simple jobs (like a breaker fuse replacement for which an electrician wanted $120, and I know no sht about anything at that time). He is just a wonderful person to have around, always helpful. Maybe he uses the manifold as a side job, but he responded when I needed some troubleshooting. That's good enough for me.
    So you have a handyman replace a breaker? That’s dangerous. Licensed/ insured? Doubtful. Qualifications ZERO!

Post Likes
    I'm still scratching my head on a realtor with a digital manifold.🤔
    And a very expensive set!

Post Likes
    And a very expensive set!
    But no low loss fittings on the hoses. Pipe sensor not put on the liquid line so he's just looking at pressures and suction temperature. Less knowledge than a one month apprentice.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    So you have a handyman replace a breaker? That’s dangerous. Licensed/ insured? Doubtful. Qualifications ZERO!
    Later, I did realize that it was dangerous even though the handyman was licensed. So, the next time it happened, I did it myself.

I also did my valve cover gasket, coil packs and fuel injectors on my beemer last spring. Licensed/insured? NO; Dangerous? Probably; Qualifications ZERO! DIY satisfaction PRICELESS!!!

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  2.06 MB

Post Likes
    Your realtor friend should actually start the unit to figure out what’s wrong with it, rather then giving you an inaccurate diagnosis and guesses
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    Your realtor friend should actually start the unit to figure out what’s wrong with it, rather then giving you an inaccurate diagnosis and guesses
    Oh yeah... Just like trying to drive a car without starting its engine. Got it. Will let him know that you mentioned so. Thanks for all your help and that wonderful tip. Cheers!!!

Max.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in