Thread: New Carrier furnace Inducer motor Hum wakes us up at night

Post Likes

New Carrier furnace Inducer motor Hum wakes us up at night

Hello,

I have recently had a new Carrier furnace installed by an authorized HVAC technician. As it has gotten colder in the Midwest we are starting to use our furnace a lot more. We noticed that there is a humming noise that can be heard reverberating in our house especially our bedrooms upstairs. The noise is waking us up at night. I spoke with our technician and he came out immediately and replaced the inducer motor which seems to be the cause of the noise. He mentioned our previous furnace did not have an inducer motor. The replacement has not fixed the problem. I noticed that if i put pressure on the shroud of the motor, the humming noise is drastically reduced. My technician has stated that the noise is a normal part of the new furnace and we would need to get used to the noise. Every time the furnace turns on in the middle of the night, I am woken up. I'm not sure I will be able to sleep with it running more often as temperatures get colder? Please Help!?!

Thanks,

Daniel Kemling

EMAIL REMOVED BY ADMIN

Post Likes
    Yeah, it is tough to get used to the noises some of the new furnaces make. Some worse than others. Inshot burners in an open nacelle are another complaint I got when they first came on the market in the 90's.

You probably have a lovely hard piped gas line and a crisp metal duct as well that do a bang up job of transmitting the noise. There are a few things that can be don if it is too annoying to get used to, but they can run into some bucks, especially if the furnace is in a closet on the main floor...

Noise factor (as well as comfort) is one of the reasons I always push modulating input gas furnaces with VS blowers. They are quiet...
    “A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Post Likes
    What's this pressure you put on the shroud mean exactly ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    What's this pressure you put on the shroud mean exactly ?
    Probably pushed on it with his hand.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    What is the model number of the furnace?

Did they change the venting?
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in