Thread: Mom Needs Help With Old Heat Pump

Post Likes

Mom Needs Help With Old Heat Pump

Hi all. I have a major problem and need some help. My 97 year old mom has had a maintenance service plan with Sears for 30 years and she is getting jacked around by the “new” Sears on the replacement of her heat pump. It’s an old model, probably 1981 and the compressor failed. Sears says it’s a Carrier but I believe it’s a GE. The information is as follows:

Model Number BWC036B100C1
    Serial Number 320477T17
    Roof unit

They say the compressor is no longer available and will probably offer her the value of a comparable replacement unit.

The problem is the unit is so old I can’t find the specs or anything on the unit. So I don’t have a clue as to a reasonable offer on a replacement.

The home is 1500 square feet and there is a single heat pump. Any help or advice figuring out a reasonable settlement with Sears would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Post Likes
    Maybe 10 years ago I replaced the compressor in a 1980 carrier heat pump. If the original compressor is not made, I am sure they make a replacement one. It probably needs some re-piping, but can be done. Call around and find a different company that will use a replacement refrigerant like R-407c. Most of those old units coils will never leak.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ksefan View Post
    Maybe 10 years ago I replaced the compressor in a 1980 carrier heat pump. If the original compressor is not made, I am sure they make a replacement one. It probably needs some re-piping, but can be done. Call around and find a different company that will use a replacement refrigerant like R-407c. Most of those old units coils will never leak.
    Thanks for the information. I have a meeting with Sears on Friday to see what they are offering.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    Are you an accountant? Or do you live in Chester Pennsylvania ?

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by mlshermancpa View Post
    Hi all. I have a major problem and need some help. My 97 year old mom has had a maintenance service plan with Sears for 30 years and she is getting jacked around by the “new” Sears on the replacement of her heat pump. It’s an old model, probably 1981 and the compressor failed. Sears says it’s a Carrier but I believe it’s a GE. The information is as follows:

Serial Number 320477T17
    Roof unit

They say the compressor is no longer available and will probably offer her the value of a comparable replacement unit.

The problem is the unit is so old I can’t find the specs or anything on the unit. So I don’t have a clue as to a reasonable offer on a replacement.

The home is 1500 square feet and there is a single heat pump. Any help or advice figuring out a reasonable settlement with Sears would be greatly appreciated.

Mike
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Arizona accountant.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the information.
    I have a meeting with Sears on Friday to see what they are offering.
    SEARS owes NOTHING .!

_____ AIN'T NO GUARANTEE included with a Service Plan
    _______ except IT WORKED WHEN I WAS THERE.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Sears says it’s a Carrier but I believe it’s a GE. The information is as follows:

Serial Number 320477T17
    Roof unit
    You are correct. It is an old GE unit, not Carrier.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    That's the indoor unit, need the model # of the heat pump to determine if matching. I would not put a new outdoor unit of any flavor or refrigerant on that unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    That's the indoor unit, need the model # of the heat pump to determine if matching. I would not put a new outdoor unit of any flavor or refrigerant on that unit.
    Its a package unit. Check your inbox.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Yes he did stat that in his first post.
    I wonder why a Copeland CR36 compressor won't work ?
    Scroll ZR as well.

Post Likes
    I looked up the relic on Webcats parts program. Didn't find a C1 but used C0. It gave a bunch of part #s. Compressor, 2 caps and a mounting kit. Our AS distributor has the part in stock so my guess is that's an Alliance scroll with caps for it and a mounting kit to replace the recip. We were told the monster recip was no longer made and they would offer these kits to use a scroll.

So to the OP, ask your dealer to find out about doing it this way. Won't be cheap.

12. Likes VTP99 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    and WHY are we entertaining the idea of changing a compressor in an almost 40 year old Heart Pump?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    and WHY are we entertaining the idea of changing a compressor in an almost 40 year old Heart Pump?
    People LOVE Chaos IMO
    or

BECAUSE 2020
    IS NEARLY 100% IRRATIONAL.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

15. Likes pecmsg liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    People LOVE Chaos IMO
    or

BECAUSE 2020
    IS NEARLY 100% IRRATIONAL.
    Good point on 2020!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    For entertainment purposes 😃

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in