+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What tools?

Post Likes

What tools?

Hi, im going to be going to college next year in an HRAC program. I know a gyst of what tools ill need, but not which exactly.

For a clamp meter i wanna get a fluke 902 fc

For manifold gauges, im kinda lost here. What do you guys think of the Navac gauges. what else do u guys reccomend.

Any other specific reccomendations when it comes to specialty tools.

Thanks folks

Post Likes
    Fluke 902 is great! I use it daily. There's a reason fluke has the reputation they do. I own at least 5 flukes and I wouldn't use anything else (fyi that comment will provoke debate I'm sure lol).

Guages I really like fp 380v and 480v (I use the 480 since I find 4 ports helpful for doing various things). Having an analog set isn't a bad idea but if you're a young person the chance of you staying analog is practically 0. You need to know how to calculate sc and sh but digital is the way to go.

Just always always buy quality! You will find there's a million different opinions on tools. Buy quality and try and handle them in person before purchase if possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Navac makes a set of 4 port digital gauges. Have you heard anything about them? Cnc out of a block of aluminum and 1/4 turn dials. Pretty affordable too

Part number is: NRM2D0101

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Fluke 902 is great! I use it daily. There's a reason fluke has the reputation they do. I own at least 5 flukes and I wouldn't use anything else (fyi that comment will provoke debate I'm sure lol).

Guages I really like fp 380v and 480v (I use the 480 since I find 4 ports helpful for doing various things). Having an analog set isn't a bad idea but if you're a young person the chance of you staying analog is practically 0. You need to know how to calculate sc and sh but digital is the way to go.

Just always always buy quality! You will find there's a million different opinions on tools. Buy quality and try and handle them in person before purchase if possible.

Good post. Fluke makes amazing meters although I still don't like the company.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

6. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes

Would you recommend a 3 or 4 port set for my first

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by khaiskebo View Post
    Navac makes a set of 4 port digital gauges. Have you heard anything about them? Cnc out of a block of aluminum and 1/4 turn dials. Pretty affordable too

I think navac is making a name for themselves but they are still relatively new to the game. If I was you I would stick with field piece. 1/4 turn sounds like a good selling point but you rarely need to open valves all the way (only when doing vacuum if you choose to pull through your gauges). Plus the range of the newer fp gauges is freaking amazing. I can put a probe inside on the 3rd level and read my tsh right on my guage.

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

9. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Would you recommend a 3 or 4 port set for my first
    I think the argument for having a stand alone micron guage is a good one. Probably 3 would be good for you. If you want to pull vac through your gauges then 4 is better. I have done a few mods to my gauges that make me like the 4 better, but starting with the 3 is good.

11. Likes kdean1, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes

Only nine refrigerants
    Two 9 volt batteries
    and zero temperature clamps.
    1990's are calling for their digital gauges back

13. Likes R600a, heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Only nine refrigerants
    Two 9 volt batteries
    and zero temperature clamps.
    1990's are calling for their digital gauges back
    You forgot to mention your paper clip MacGyver

Post Likes
    You forgot to mention your paper clip MacGyver

Ok
    The hanging hook looks like one coated paper clip attached to the back of the plastic case!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Ok
    The hanging hook looks like one coated paper clip attached to the back of the plastic case!
    Dang it you're just too good

Hurst11 is offline Professional Member/Membership Committee
    Post Likes
    The 902fc will do all you need it to do for quite sometime. Get a good set of compound gauges and use em for a year to learn then go digital and keep the others for backup. 12v impact, you pick your poison on brand,they are strong enough for 99% of what we do and are small and light enough to fit in most tool bags. I’ve always liked Klein for needle nose and dikes but in the last year I’ve picked up some doyle for harbor freight and so far have greatly exceeded my expectations and I will continue to use them. Looking at them side by size to my Klein’s they sure look good. Vacuum gauge buy once cry once. Snips,either Midwest or malco. Find a screwdriver you like,I prefer a 6 in 1 over a 9 in 1 cuz I always lose parts of the 9. For a flashlight get one from the brand you pick the impact from so that’ll you’ll always have batteries and only need one charger. You’ll learn over time what you need to spend more money on and what you can skimp on and before ya know. Good luck and welcome to the trade.

Post Likes
    I like the idea of using analog gauges first and then when you feel ready go digital. The money won't be wasted, as the analogs are good as a backup to your digitals later. I also agree on using a 3 port manifold instead of 4. You probably don't understand the reason just yet, but down the road you'll more than likely realize that pulling a vacuum thru a manifold is not the ideal setup. There are differing opinions on this, but I think majority of techs don't like to do it unless it's a necessity. So, a Bluvac vacuum gauge is a good first purchase, you'll never outgrow it. I don't use the vacuum gauges that are integrated into the inside of the manifold, as FP does. Even though I love the new FP 380 manifold. Now if the vacuum sensor is seperate, as on the YJ P51, or the Testos, then they're useful.
    One good place to start is at your school, with the instructor. A good instructor will guide you in these decisions. Just keep in mind that you need to listen first, and then use the knowledge you gain to make your own decisions. Everyone has their own preferences, and you'll develop yours too, so be open minded. Good luck!

19. Likes R600a, Krazee liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurst11 View Post
    The 902fc will do all you need it to do for quite sometime. Get a good set of compound gauges and use em for a year to learn then go digital and keep the others for backup. 12v impact, you pick your poison on brand,they are strong enough for 99% of what we do and are small and light enough to fit in most tool bags. I’ve always liked Klein for needle nose and dikes but in the last year I’ve picked up some doyle for harbor freight and so far have greatly exceeded my expectations and I will continue to use them. Looking at them side by size to my Klein’s they sure look good. Vacuum gauge buy once cry once. Snips,either Midwest or malco. Find a screwdriver you like,I prefer a 6 in 1 over a 9 in 1 cuz I always lose parts of the 9. For a flashlight get one from the brand you pick the impact from so that’ll you’ll always have batteries and only need one charger. You’ll learn over time what you need to spend more money on and what you can skimp on and before ya know. Good luck and welcome to the trade.
    902 vs 375/376 ??

Post Likes
    The 902 does not do millivolt dc so you will not be able to check thermopiles if you are working on something like gas logs.

I use the 902 for almost everything hvac. Then I have a 117 which has lowz, auto voltage, millivolts etc. The 117 is a really good dmm and the lowz mode is very helpful.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in