+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need a really dumb, basic dual fuel setup

Post Likes

Need a really dumb, basic dual fuel setup

I need the dumbest simplest thermostat for my father in law who has a dual fuel system. Ever since I replaced his heat pump a few years ago and put in a 3-wire Aprilaire (only 5-wires to thermostat), this man aggravates me to no end. Every season it’s a 15 minute teeth-pulling phone call trying to get this old man to switch it over from heat to cool or vice versa. I’ve even set it on auto and yet somehow he manages to get it back into single-mode and acts like he doesn’t know how to use it. I do not want to resort to running a new wire if all possible.

I was thinking of just getting a 1H/1C mechanical thermostat, but I don’t know what dual fuel kit will read the OAT and automatically switch between heat pump and oil. All the ones I’ve seen operate with a heat pump thermostat, but without a common, I don’t even want this man to worry about batteries. Are there any mechanical heat pump thermostats out there? What’s the simplest, cheapest way I can set this up?

Post Likes
    Th5320U 1001. Its not mechanical. But it is push button. Has a larger screen than the older 5220s did.

Post Likes
    You might as well keep talking him through it every season

Otherwise you might be replacing the T stat to a simpler one , plus adding Relays ran by a Mechanical T-stat .... to swap over to back up heat

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Th5320U 1001. Its not mechanical. But it is push button. Has a larger screen than the older 5220s did.
    Yeah I was thinking of that because I do have a salvaged one on the truck, then I figure I would just order a Goodman electronic dual fuel kit.

Post Likes
    I had an 85 year old man with a heat pump.
    He would end up with the fan "on" and then stuck on emg heat.

His was a mechanical with levers on the top.
    I drove nails into the paneling so the fan switch had to stay on auto and another to keep him from going all the way over to emg heat.
    The little nails out of wire staples work good.

But don't know about dual fuel control application.
    There was a simple board that went on the furnace for switch over to dual fuel.
    Worked for awhile...was cheap...was not very reliable. It was named after the inventor IIRC.

Post Likes
    Set it and lockbox it.

Post Likes
    Or better yet, get him a WIFI thermostat and lock the screen. Control it from your phone.

8. Likes DOGBOY liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Bill Porter DF kits

https://www.ecmdi.com/dual-fuel-control-30343

Get the board AND the outdoor temp sensor...
    Then use a standard HP t-stat... so you can switch to E heat (furnace) if you want to...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

10. Likes captube liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Why not just use an a19 mechanical stat with the bulb outside?
    Figure out where you want the heat pump cut out set at.
    Run the heat pump off normally closed terminal. And furnace off the normally open terminal.
    Probably the simplest and most reliable analog way to do the switchover.
    I do this on heat pumps for customers that I fear may not understand digital multi stage thermostats.

Post Likes
    Just use a relay that's literally the easiest and cheapest thing you can do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    We have started using the ecobee thermostats and they come with a wire saver module. Seem to be working nicely.

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes
    I would have to sketch it out to be sure - but can't you wire W to power the fuel-unit directly - although through a N/C contact?

But power the relay coil through a remote-bulb stat so that when the outdoor ambient temperature is above the change-over point - W powers Y and O and G via N/O contacts?

Use a snap-action H/C wall stat. <g>

-----------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by CircusEnvy View Post
    I need the dumbest simplest thermostat for my father in law who has a dual fuel system. Ever since I replaced his heat pump a few years ago and put in a 3-wire Aprilaire (only 5-wires to thermostat), this man aggravates me to no end. Every season it’s a 15 minute teeth-pulling phone call trying to get this old man to switch it over from heat to cool or vice versa. I’ve even set it on auto and yet somehow he manages to get it back into single-mode and acts like he doesn’t know how to use it. I do not want to resort to running a new wire if all possible.

I was thinking of just getting a 1H/1C mechanical thermostat, but I don’t know what dual fuel kit will read the OAT and automatically switch between heat pump and oil. All the ones I’ve seen operate with a heat pump thermostat, but without a common, I don’t even want this man to worry about batteries. Are there any mechanical heat pump thermostats out there? What’s the simplest, cheapest way I can set this up?
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    After lot's of thought and research on which dual fuel stat to set up for less tech savvy customers I've decided on and been installing the t6 pro 6320u with the outdoor sensor.
    Completely automatic for the customer, only really mode and fan buttons, they work really well on auto.
    Nice staging with the electric backup when they want more heat quickly.
    Drawback is that to set it up properly you are basically pulling a 10 strand stat wire.
    But the positive is that once properly set up the customer doesn't have to do anything but adjust set point.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    Why not just use an a19 mechanical stat with the bulb outside?
    Figure out where you want the heat pump cut out set at.
    Run the heat pump off normally closed terminal. And furnace off the normally open terminal.
    Probably the simplest and most reliable analog way to do the switchover.
    I do this on heat pumps for customers that I fear may not understand digital multi stage thermostats.
    Exactly how we used to do it, and Goodman even had a kit for it, before all the fancy stuff.
    Tell it that it's gas.
    Y brings on o and y outside.
    W goes through bulb, above temp hits contactor, opens a relay for O.

Below temp goes back to furnace.

Post Likes
    Yes on the Goodman outdoor thermostat. We are a Trane dealer but use those. Cheap easy reliable Kinda like me.

Post Likes
    Honeywell 8000 and od sensor is all automatic

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in