Thread: The miracle of closed cell foam

Post Likes

The miracle of closed cell foam

3400 sq ft house, 4 inch foam walls, 2 inch foam ceiling with r60 cellulose on top of that.
    3 ton payne builders model heat pump with matching air handler. (Heat strips aren't installed yet)
    14 degrees here last night and this unit kept the place at 71.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    You don't squat with your spurs on.
    And you NEVER put the torches away before pressure testing.

Post Likes
    Please tell me your not running that during construction!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Please tell me your not running that during construction!
    Oh it's running while the interior is being finished.
    However my policy is I don't install a unit unless it also gets a 4 inch pleated filter.
    So no worries about taping dust getting in there.

Post Likes
    Wow that really is incredible! What kills me though on some of these setups is that they are so tight they need fresh air intake and then it's like dang, I got all this insulation but now I gotta let air leak in anyway lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

5. Likes Zamoramax, ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Wow that really is incredible! What kills me though on some of these setups is that they are so tight they need fresh air intake and then it's like dang, I got all this insulation but now I gotta let air leak in anyway lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    What kills me is this is my best friend's house. Other than his wife choosing the payne over a york based on looks I got to install as I please.( of course they let me add whatever I wanted. They only pay cost on unit and supplies)
    The part that really burns me is he is adamant that he'll never have an hrv in the place.
    Apparently he's got friends that have had problems with them.
    And he's already got an old fashioned fresh air intake as the original part of the house has only had wood heat until now.
    But seriously it wasn't the cost on the hrv. He just said he didn't want more problems.....

Post Likes
    Not sure the location but 3 ton may still be to big. Would be in my area. I知 running 3 tons for 3200 on my 1964 build. Heat is 80k though so I知 assuming a hp since you said 14* and unit maintain 70.

As for fresh air on tight homes, ERV. Expensive yes but beats dumping raw unconditioned air into the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    Not sure the location but 3 ton may still be to big. Would be in my area. I知 running 3 tons for 3200 on my 1964 build. Heat is 80k though so I知 assuming a hp since you said 14* and unit maintain 70.

As for fresh air on tight homes, ERV. Expensive yes but beats dumping raw unconditioned air into the place.

Being in manitoba Canada I know 3 tons is a little much for cooling this place.
    However in order to get a matched package as he needs around 20kw of electric heat we had to go with a 3 ton heat pump.
    And since he's much more concerned with heat than cooling it'll be fine.
    He's totally prepared to run his 5kbtu window shaker instead of central air for cooling.
    It was amazing how well that little window shaker I gave him did all summer.
    We installed it upstairs and the place never rose above 77 even on the hottest days

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    Being in manitoba Canada I know 3 tons is a little much for cooling this place.
    However in order to get a matched package as he needs around 20kw of electric heat we had to go with a 3 ton heat pump.
    And since he's much more concerned with heat than cooling it'll be fine.
    He's totally prepared to run his 5kbtu window shaker instead of central air for cooling.
    It was amazing how well that little window shaker I gave him did all summer.
    We installed it upstairs and the place never rose above 77 even on the hottest days

Yeah I知 sure that far north cooling is just an afterthought compared to heating.

At that point HRV would be good option for fresh air requirements.

Post Likes
    Yeah I知 sure that far north cooling is just an afterthought compared to heating.

At that point HRV would be good option for fresh air requirements.

Well.... we do get 105 degree days. So for a few weeks a year the cooling is honestly needed. Especially with the long sunlight days there isn't any relief at night.
    But yeah I tried really hard to get him to install an hrv....

Post Likes
    I hope that is not the dryer vent on the lower left......

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant mech View Post
    Well.... we do get 105 degree days. So for a few weeks a year the cooling is honestly needed. Especially with the long sunlight days there isn't any relief at night.
    But yeah I tried really hard to get him to install an hrv....

105 in Canada? Really?
    Never would imagine that. Wow.

Post Likes
    105 in Canada? Really?
    Never would imagine that. Wow.

Yeah it's crazy. Especially if you use the celcius scale. Our winter low is -42 celcius. And our summer high is +42 celcius.

14. Likes icy78 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    I hope that is not the dryer vent on the lower left......
    I'm sure they will plan on only using one at a time, besides it helps hp operation in the winter. Is that approved flashing at the foundation? All the insulation and a builder's grade unit sounds like no cost benefit /payback evaluation.
    Hope he has good electric rates w/20kw

Most states here are now requiring fresh air heat exchangers. -42* is reason I'm staying south of the Mason-Dixon.

Post Likes
    People do not realize Living in a Spray Foamed house is like living inside of a Plastic Bag. Outside Air is a MUST!

17. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Super tight homes with a clothes drier, kitchen hood, and a couple of bath fans need +150 cfm of make-up air to function. Start with 150 cfm air for the exhaust devices. The cost to heat 150 cfm is from 0^F to 70^F is ?? btus per hour, peanuts. Consider the health effect of not purging the indoor pollutants and replace oxygen for the occupants. The same applies to the summer. For the year, adding 150 cfm of outside air to the naturally low air change will be <$200 a year. Also consider that on windy cold day, the natural ventilation from the wind and stack effect may be a enough for air quality. Yet the exhaust device need enough to avoid causing a negative in the home. Are there any open combustion device than can be backed drafted? During calm winds and not stack, these air tight homes may only get an air change in 24 hours. This is not healthy.
    For my family and myself, I take the filtered fresh air.

Keep us posted.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

19. Likes Galt liked this post.