Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Outside HVAC fan

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes

    Confused Outside HVAC fan

    I live in a first floor studio in an apartment complex. There are 4 big HVAC units and 2 smaller ones right outside my bedroom window. They recently replaced one of the smaller units with a brand new unit, the one that sits closest to my window. Before this, my studio was pretty quiet, all things considering, as it’s in the back, but Now, that new fan is the loudest, and it runs constantly, sometimes for up to 30 minutes non-stop. Maintenance says it is because of how someone who lives in the 3rd floor uses their A/C, and that they cannot tell someone how to use their A/C. My thing is that it is this fan which is constantly going all day and night, when others are not. There’s gotta be something else going on, right? Any thoughts from all you HVAC-savvy folks will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    1,861
    Post Likes
    Which is it constantly or non stop? 30 min doesn’t sound unreasonable. Is it the fan that is loud or the compressor?
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

    I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Which is it constantly or non stop? 30 min doesn’t sound unreasonable. Is it the fan that is loud or the compressor?
    Hi, first of all, thank you so much for the very quick reply.

    Let me clarify, when I say constantly running, I mean it is turning on frequently, mad when I say frequently, I mean like every 5-10 minutes, during the day and night, and on some of those occasions, it stays on for about 30 minutes, just this morning for almost 45 minutes non-stop.

    I am not too HVAC savvy, so I don’t know where the noise is coming from exactly, I just know this unit is a lot noisier than the bigger units.

    My thing is why is this unit more active and louder than the other 4 bigger ones and the other smaller one. The other ones are quieter and stay off for longer periods of times. This one just keeps going every 5-10 minutes, noisy as all heck, and then on some occasions, it’s a brutal 30-45 minutes non-stop.

    Hope this provides more clarification.

    Thanks for all your help.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    kansas
    Posts
    1,861
    Post Likes
    Might ask maintenance to install isolation pads or a sound blanket to see if that quiets down is about All I got
    Honeywell you can buy better but you cant pay more

    I told my wife when i die to sell my fishing stuff for what its worth not what i told her i paid for it

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    9,841
    Post Likes
    It used to be the cheaper, the louder. Today equipment seems a lot quieter.
    I guess the maintenance guy sees nothing wrong with the unit. The DB rating is published but probably not for mass consumption.
    Like CC says, isolation pads or a sound blanket. Maybe a buddy could move it on some Sunday
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

    You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

    If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

    USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

  6. Likes crazzycajun liked this post.
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    10,613
    Post Likes
    Move
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

  8. Likes BBeerme, crazzycajun liked this post.
  9. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by crazzycajun View Post
    Might ask maintenance to install isolation pads or a sound blanket to see if that quiets down is about All I got
    Maintenance is gonna swap that other apartment’s thermostat, to see if that helps.

    Thanks for your time and suggestions, though. Appreciate it.

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Thank you for your answer....

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Move
    I’d rather not move.
    I’ve been here a while. I like it. Very affordable, great location and great management . This is the first time I’ve had any real issues and they’re working hard to fix it for me.

    Thanks for the reply, though.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    It used to be the cheaper, the louder. Today equipment seems a lot quieter.
    I guess the maintenance guy sees nothing wrong with the unit. The DB rating is published but probably not for mass consumption.
    Like CC says, isolation pads or a sound blanket. Maybe a buddy could move it on some Sunday
    Thanks for your input...appreciate it.

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    591
    Post Likes
    Newer units should be quieter than old ones so maybe something is vibrating or there is hopefully some issue that is easily correctable. Maybe have the maintenance people call an HVAC company if they are not sure what to do. Unfortunately I cannot see how you can control how people use their ac - one of the downsides if living in an apartment.

    I recently changed out a heat pump for an apartment customer. He did not want to spend money on a super quiet condenser so we got a basic one stage unit which is ok but I did make him think about the impact of a noisy condenser on his neighbors.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Posts
    7
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by szw21 View Post
    Newer units should be quieter than old ones so maybe something is vibrating or there is hopefully some issue that is easily correctable. Maybe have the maintenance people call an HVAC company if they are not sure what to do. Unfortunately I cannot see how you can control how people use their ac - one of the downsides if living in an apartment.

    I recently changed out a heat pump for an apartment customer. He did not want to spend money on a super quiet condenser so we got a basic one stage unit which is ok but I did make him think about the impact of a noisy condenser on his neighbors.
    Thank you very much for your input. Much appreciated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •