+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dehumidifying basement

Post Likes

Dehumidifying basement

Hello,
    I have a 1910 home with four rooms in the basement area. Those rooms are made with limestone walls and a brick-stone floors. So far they have been used to store some stuff only and my kids run around from time to time. I would like to dehumidify the basement but I wonder about disposing the water. Hoses running outside are an option but what about winter when the freezing temperatures come? There is no extra drain and I don't know how to use existing water drain (I do have HVAC around e.g. washing machine drain). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Likes
    Either elevate the dehumidifier or drain it into a condensate pump.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Dehumidification is not needed during outside freezing because of low outdoor dew points and increased movement of dry outside air through the home. Pull the plug on the dehu Nov. The idea of elevating the dehu enough to use a washer or a.c drain is excellent.

Consider an efficient dehu like the Santa Fe Compact. More compact and made to hang from joist and a merv 13 air filter.
    Santa Fe.com
    This will help the entire home in the 3 damp season in WI or any green grass climate. This unit could also have a small supply duct system to distribute the dry air throughout the basement space.

Keep us posted on how everything works out.
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

4. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I would only add that some dehumidifiers come with a built-in condensate pump so you can keep it on the floor and pump it up to a drain. In my home, I have a Santa Fe dehumidifier in the sealed crawlspace that has a built in pump. It pumps it up to the floor drain in my 1st floor mechanical room.
    Ian Cull, PE, CIH
    Indoor Science
    Chicago, IL

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in