Thread: Trying to find a quality resource for interpreting combustion analysis

Post Likes

Trying to find a quality resource for interpreting combustion analysis

I work residential. This is my first heating season. I know the basics of combustion analysis and i know what general ranges the numbers should be in. Aside from that, i dont know much. I want to be able to identify problems (and fix them!) on residential gas/propane furnaces with my combustion analyzer. Does anyone have a good resource for soaking up this knowledge? Tomorrow i am gonna ask the boss if she can try to find a training seminar to sign us all up for in that regard, but i want to do my own research as well. Knowledge is power.

2. Likes STEVEusaPA liked this post.
    Post Likes

4. Likes mhoush liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Like beenthere said - checkout NCI

Post Likes
    NCI is great, but no classes available right now...
    Do they publish a textbook?
    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things in him that strengthen me.
    Apostle Paul inspired by GOD.

Post Likes
    The textbook is part of the class. I had to wait about a year to take my class, first no classes close to Alabama, then I ran out of money but finally got to take the class in person. Now they use a virtual classroom so at least you won't have to pay travel/hotel. It is worth the wait. I will venture to say that the NCI material is one and only in the world. It is based on decades of measuring, tuning, inspecting and tens of thousands of different tests.

I like Jim the instructors story (Captain CO here on hvactalk) about some phd graduate in combustion told Jim "no that's not how it works". Jim said "did you measure that or read it in a book" "It came from a text book. Jim said "well my data came from tens of thousands of measurements on an equal number of burners, over 4 decades, not from a textbook" or something like that. haha

Post Likes
    NCI is working on holding online classes. Currently there are recertification classes scheduled.

The Combustion Analysis & CO class is perhaps the most informative class I’ve attended in 35 years in the trade. Residential System Analysis class and Duct Renovation classes are right up there too.
    AOP Rules: Rules For Equipment Owners.

Free online load calculator: http://www.loadcalc.net/

There = not here. Their = possessive pronoun. They're = they are
    It's = contraction of it is. Its = the possessive form of it
    Too = also. To = expressing motion. Two = 2
    Then = after that, next. Than = indicates a comparison.
    Questions should end with a question mark "?" Statements end with a period "."

Post Likes
    Is it just the recertification that is virtual? I have been wanting to go to the 3 day class (waiting to hear back from NCI), they say 2 days instructional and the 3rd day is testing. Is this how most of you took the class?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Thermo View Post
    The textbook is part of the class. I had to wait about a year to take my class, first no classes close to Alabama, then I ran out of money but finally got to take the class in person. Now they use a virtual classroom so at least you won't have to pay travel/hotel. It is worth the wait. I will venture to say that the NCI material is one and only in the world. It is based on decades of measuring, tuning, inspecting and tens of thousands of different tests.

I like Jim the instructors story (Captain CO here on hvactalk) about some phd graduate in combustion told Jim "no that's not how it works". Jim said "did you measure that or read it in a book" "It came from a text book. Jim said "well my data came from tens of thousands of measurements on an equal number of burners, over 4 decades, not from a textbook" or something like that. haha

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artietech View Post
    Is it just the recertification that is virtual? I have been wanting to go to the 3 day class (waiting to hear back from NCI), they say 2 days instructional and the 3rd day is testing. Is this how most of you took the class?
    The full class is 3 days of instruction with a test at the end of the third day.
    During the NCI summit conference last week, they announced that they are making arrangements for virtual Full training classes. Currently almost everything is online recertification.

Post Likes
    I have been wanting to go to the 3 day class (waiting to hear back from NCI), they say 2 days instructional and the 3rd day is testing. Is this how most of you took the class?
    Yes, but If the distributor who is sponsoring the course has a class room set up with a furnace, part of day 3 is hands on testing using a combustion analyzer, and seeing how changes in gas pressure effect CO, O2 and flue temp readings.
    Instead of learning the tricks of the trade, learn the trade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    Yes, but If the distributor who is sponsoring the course has a class room set up with a furnace, part of day 3 is hands on testing using a combustion analyzer, and seeing how changes in gas pressure effect CO, O2 and flue temp readings.
    That wont be a problem for us! We have multiple gas furnaces in our classroom.

Post Likes
    That wont be a problem for us! We have multiple gas furnaces in our classroom.
    AFAIK, you can still schedule an onsite training. NCI can send an instructor. Contact them about fees and health protection.

I wish we were big enough to do so. We have to be content with sending a couple of our guys to the training.