+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to change jobs or my perspective?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Man View Post
    I’ll often have a new guy with me for pms on more complicated equipment just so they can learn.
    X2. It is a good way for techs who are unfamiliar with a piece of equipment to get some hands on learning.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    That all sounds really good to me. I think I would enjoy working with another person and learning some stuff from them!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Many companies use their employees in the best possible way for them which may not be the best for you. As an example in your case - you are making them good money doing PMs and are good at it but you are bored and want to progress to something that is more interesting or challenging.

Have you thought about approaching your bosses and explaining the situation. Maybe they can mix your PM work with other stuff that is new to you or can provide a means to advance your career? If not then a move to something else would be in order. I would have thought if you are doing good work for them they would be keen to retain you and find a way to keep you happy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by szw21 View Post
    Many companies use their employees in the best possible way for them which may not be the best for you. As an example in your case - you are making them good money doing PMs and are good at it but you are bored and want to progress to something that is more interesting or challenging.

Have you thought about approaching your bosses and explaining the situation. Maybe they can mix your PM work with other stuff that is new to you or can provide a means to advance your career? If not then a move to something else would be in order. I would have thought if you are doing good work for them they would be keen to retain you and find a way to keep you happy.
    Yes my manager has made it very clear on multiple occasions that he would really really hate to lose me and I love my manager he's awesome.

I think he would really try and work with me and I may see how that goes, but part of me thinks that I would be asking for something that he can't really give me. The company is VERY PM driven. We do close to 10,000 PMs a year (that's not an exaggeration that's a legit estimate).

So I can only get away from it so much. Also I'm starting to become bored with resi troubleshooting as well. I still have a lot to learn and resi still kicks my ass at times, but I think commercial would kick my ass a lot more and I need that. I just don't do well when I start to get mentally bored.

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Yes my manager has made it very clear on multiple occasions that he would really really hate to lose me and I love my manager he's awesome.

I think he would really try and work with me and I may see how that goes, but part of me thinks that I would be asking for something that he can't really give me. The company is VERY PM driven. We do close to 10,000 PMs a year (that's not an exaggeration that's a legit estimate).

So I can only get away from it so much. Also I'm starting to become bored with resi troubleshooting as well. I still have a lot to learn and resi still kicks my ass at times, but I think commercial would kick my ass a lot more and I need that. I just don't do well when I start to get mentally bored.

I respect your integrity and loyalty but with that said............too your employer your just an Accounts Payable! Just like the Fuel, supply house, and everything else we are an expense. The days of going to work for Ma Bell and putting your 30 Years in are long gone! There is a Donivan song "Gold watch Blues"

He took me outside to where the gravestones stand in line
    This is where we bury them, in quickstone and in lime
    And if you're going to work for us, this you must agree
    That if you're going to die, please do it during tea..................................... break

6. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    It's fairly normal to out grow a company and move on.
    PM's are on average more profitable so that might be the motivator for your company. As equipment has become much more reliable it's a question on how your company is selling so many parts. When I'd bid a PM the equipment's age was a factor. Real old it was parts but newer not so much. Are you saying not necessary parts are being sold?
    Interesting though is a correctly priced full service contract (parts and labor) will be the most profitable.

Having 2 people is a better way if the other guy is an apprentice or at least paid less. That's a composite crew and their pay can be averaged making the PM less costly. Plus there is the training advantage.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    I always had an odd satisfaction going out on a maintenance visit and restoring order to a piece of equipment.

My biggest gripe was always in finding out that I was doing maintenance all day and then going out on a bunch of demand-service calls because nobody wanted to bump the maintenances. That and shitty equipment access/serviceability.

Commercial maintenance and service was always very much more appealing than residential, though.

If your soul is being crushed by the work you do, then you should really try something new.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

9. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes

Do I need to change jobs or my perspective?

Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    How are PMs normally done in commercial? Is it ever a 2 man crew or are you always by yourself? I'm not against doing PMs but my company is obsessed with them.

I'm thinking I need to put myself in a position to move further in my career, be mentally challenged, and experience more than I ever could in residential.

Just in my everyday schedule (obviously being on call is 100% service calls) I bet 95% of my schedule is PMs. I enjoy troubleshooting and being mentally challenged and PMs are the opposite of that.

Now one other problem is I'm starting to be bored by even the troubleshooting in residential. I'm not saying I know it all because I don't, and I get my ass kicked sometimes. But I recently read a post by @heatingman where he was describing something he did on a commercial system and it blew my freaking mind. I'd love to get into that kinda stuff.

Its not all roses and sunshine, and I did not get to this point overnight. But Ive been exactly where you are.

A good segway to commercial would be a shop that does both commercial and residential, and you may find thats all you really need. Is variety. I really liked working at small shops like that where you did both service and install work. Most bigger companies are not that way. One or the other.

There are not many residential guys that know what a Oscilloscope is let alone how to use one, or have the curiosity to figure it out.

From what Ive read of your posts, I believe you would excel in commercial work if you want to go that route.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Its not all roses and sunshine, and I did not get to this point overnight. But Ive been exactly where you are.

A good segway to commercial would be a shop that does both commercial and residential, and you may find thats all you really need. Is variety. I really liked working at small shops like that where you did both service and install work. Most bigger companies are not that way. One or the other.

There are not many residential guys that know what a Oscilloscope is let alone how to use one, or have the curiosity to figure it out.

From what Ive read of your posts, I believe you would excel in commercial work if you want to go that route.
    Thanks man I appreciate that encouragement. Honestly, job hunting is kinda intimidating. Realistically, I don't think I'm expecting to find a super great job right away. But I'm thinking that if I can make it through the commercial "door" I'll find that there's a lot of opportunities. I think I need something challenging that's going to force me to develop new knowledge and skills. If I don't have that challenge I really don't think I'll reach my full potential as a technician.

Post Likes

13. Likes jbhenergy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    There is a commercial/industrial shop in town (biggest and best) that their whole business model is based on doing pm so much they don’t have breakdowns. They sell 100% coverage contracts that they charge an annual expense and cover anything and everything that happens, including refrigerant.

They also have another tier of pm but it is not all inclusive just covers clean and check.

That said you might pm a process chiller in the morning and a boiler in the afternoon.

I have several friend that work there, they all left the resi field to go there. They all took pay cuts up front but have all since made it back. Each on of them tells me they really like it there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Well, I just wanted to give a quick update. I'll be starting at a very large commercial/industrial company pretty soon. The interview went really well and they made me a really good offer. Thanks to everyone for the comments, and I'm looking forward to the change. It'll be just like any other job. It'll have ups and downs, but I'm glad I decided to give it a try. I would have regretted going my whole life without doing so.

@pecmsg thanks for the very straightforward "push" in the right direction. I really needed that! It kinda helped me start moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Never worry about "Moving On" Do Not burn a bridge. Just explain your burned out and feel restricted in the current situation. Give your 2 weeks and move on!

16. Likes 2sac, Red Man, GoCougs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Good luck buddy! The stuff that you learned in the last job will help. Just keep it rolling.

18. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You’ll do fine.
    I never regretted moving on. The education was worth it.

Congrats and good luck.

20. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks!

Post Likes
    Congrats on the new role. Hope you find the new work interesting.

Post Likes
    Master commercial then make the move to refrigeration.
    The challenges in refrigeration are endless. Of course I'm biased
    but I do both and still find the latter most rewarding.
    I started in the electric sign industry and like you got bored. Ironically when I made my move many of those customers had HVAC systems so I already had my foot in the door.
    Never stop learning because knowledge is power !

Post Likes
    Work for yourself. Fukk those azzholes that have held you back.

My 2 cents.

25. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I say large hvac is equally challenging to large refrigeration. I like both but I think hvac has a slight edge because the working environment tends to be better.

Post Likes
    Curious, why do you think the working environment is better ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in