+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Whips Do you Like?

Post Likes
    Someone also said to use romex wire through the whip.

This would be against code in my area.

Wire in the whip has to be stranded wire and not solid wire.

Also if your using Romex u have a white wire that is line voltage and that needs to then be colored black

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    You could even use regular 10-2 with ground romex to make it even faster. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    we have to have stranded wire from the disconnect to the unit.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by DOGBOY View Post
    we have to have stranded wire from the disconnect to the unit.
    Yeah I wasn't aware of that code. We always use premade whips so it's not an issue. But there are a lot in my area that are done with solid wire so I never really thought about it being against code... But I'm glad I got corrected on that in case I ever need to make a whip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    seen commercial and residential in which a piece of romex is used inside the seal tight. Inspectors are so lazy in my area they dont even look at anything.

they bring the gas sniffer in and pass it over the gas line a few times. look at the outdoor unit, so long as it dont look like crap they dont even take the cover off.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoramax View Post
    I'm not into whips. Pain isn't my thing... lol. I have only seen the cheap stuff diversatech puts out. I prefer to use MLTC on high voltage. Its not always the case but its what I prefer. I would still make my own. The time difference is negligible. I could probably do both in near the same time frame.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I prefer leather over plastic.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

6. Likes Zamoramax, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mgenius33 View Post
    Not THHN (unless it’s dual rated THHN/THWN, nor Romex NM-B. neither are rated for wet locations. While it is acceptable to use Romex UF in flexible conduit for short distances, it’s better to use THWN.
    I was told by a union electrician that the new THHN meets the THWN standard for wet locations. Sort of like all new circuit breakers are HVAC rated to handle the inrush current.
    Can someone please explain to me -
    Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but plenty of time to do it twice?

Please view site rules: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1241

Apply for Pro Membership: http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116113

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    I prefer leather over plastic.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in