+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conversion

Post Likes
    Horrible idea...

Post Likes
    Ya I understand, kids don’t do this at home statement. FYI the customer bailed. I guess he scraped the unit. Maybe cost was an issue,

Post Likes
    I really wanted to get my hands on this unit, just for an autopsy if nothing else. I never seen one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rickl View Post
    I really wanted to get my hands on this unit, just for an autopsy if nothing else. I never seen one.

I haven’t either. Would have been a good one to go through.

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

Post Likes
    What would this even be teaching?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinnipiac View Post
    Everything from A to Z about basic refrigeration , pt charts, conversions, etc.
    These new trainees are still in refrigeration kindergarten

Post Likes
    Any time you can tear into something, something can be taught. “This is what happens when” I live tearing into compressors and such. Have a couple K body Copeland’s I want to see if I can get parts and rebuild. Just because.

I have had scroll compressors I have torn apart just to get pictures to show the customer “this is what happens with no oil return, let’s fix the problem”.

Autopsies tell ya why something dies, and can lead to discoveries on how to prevent it.

Post Likes
    Sure that's all fine and well. I just wonder if your kindergarteners will walk away thinking it's a good idea to put an explosive refrigerant inside something that wasn't designed to contain it. Is that part of the lesson? I remember being mislead early in my training when someone told me I could top up an r-22 unit with r-422d without reclaiming and replacing the full charge. Remember that you are starting from a point of experience and know a lot more (although I think that's questionable given your ideas on conversion) and your students are starting from zero. They don't yet know what they don't yet know.

Post Likes
    Sure that's all fine and well. I just wonder if your kindergarteners will walk away thinking it's a good idea to put an explosive refrigerant inside something that wasn't designed to contain it. Is that part of the lesson? I remember being mislead early in my training when someone told me I could top up an r-22 unit with r-422d without reclaiming and replacing the full charge. Remember that you are starting from a point of experience and know a lot more (although I think that's questionable given your ideas on conversion) and your students are starting from zero. They don't yet know what they don't yet know.
    Yep r290 protocol would be in the syllabus. You know the real danger of r290 is not that it is flammable, it's a technician that is not trained and replaces a component that is not rated/approved for that refrigerant.

Sent from my SM-T387AA using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    but isn't that exactly why it's dangerous...? Because replacing a component on a 290 system that isn't rated for it could lead to an explosion. Just like the photos shown above?

Post Likes
    but isn't that exactly why it's dangerous...? Because replacing a component on a 290 system that isn't rated for it could lead to an explosion. Just like the photos shown above?
    You are correct. That why I planned to covert to propane so the guys would learn pressures and stuff then dump it and use 134a. Plus I wanted to see how co2 units are designed.

Do you know, other than the obvious, the details about what happen from that photo?
    Was there a lawsuit?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rickl View Post

Was there a lawsuit?

Why is this even a question on here?

But no, I don’t know anything specific other than it was r290.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BadDaddy420 View Post
    Why is this even a question on here?

But no, I don’t know anything specific other than it was r290.

Just thought it would be interesting subject to discuss with the techs. An online search reveals a few accidents with r290.
    Anytime something like this happens, always ends in the court room. Somebody is going to pay damages. Just wondering if a service company or manufacturer did.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in