Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on This HVAC Package Pricing and Equipment? Fairfield County, CT

Post Likes

Thoughts on This HVAC Package Pricing and Equipment? Fairfield County, CT

Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum here. We have a small 900 square foot home in Fairfield County, Connecticut. It currently has an oversized 125,000 BTU forced air gas furnace from 1988 which is generally in good condition, but who knows how long it has left at 32 years old. GE gas water heater is from 2003, way beyond it's 12 year expectancy. AC unit works well and is a Payne unit from 2004. We are looking at quotes to do all 3 together as a package for best savings.

Contractor one has provided the following estimate:

Bryant Legacy 915SB Furnace 60,000 BTU
    Bryant Legacy 116B AC 2.5 Ton
    2.5 Ton Evaporator N Coil Cased Vertical Upflow / Downflow Painted 17" Width (Aluminum)

The next item is a Navien NPE 240A tankless hot water heater which looks like a pretty good unit

What do you guys think? I have another contractor coming next week for a second quote. Family/friends are urging me to get 3. Thanks!

PRICING REMOVED BY ADMIN
    Last edited by Dad; 10-01-2020 at 12:12 PM.

Post Likes

Post Likes
    The Legacy is the low end line of Bryant if that's what you are looking for.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The Legacy is the low end line of Bryant if that's what you are looking for.
    Thanks. I was primarily looking forward to the pricing discussion, but that was removed by the moderator.

Is a different model line other than Legacy recommended instead? General thoughts on Bryant here on the forum? This is what this first contractor uses.

Post Likes
    Brand means very little.
    Focus on finding a great installer. And install whatever brand they carry.
    Many new units are installed wrong.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics" - Homer Simpson

Local 486 Instructor & Service Technician

6. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Not a real Bryant fan though they are made here still. But if done right, it would be fine. The Preferred line is a nicer built, quieter A/C with pressure protection. The Preferred 90+ furnace has 2 stage heat.

Pricing isn't talked about as it varies greatly geographically and between dealers. We've sold our 2 brands for 30 years give or take. We pay our bills on time, We take training. We get prices that would shock a small dealer. On the other hand, our overhead is greater than a 2-3 man shop.

So compare prices on your quotes being sure you are getting quoted COMPARABLE equipment and comparable work. We can help, you just can't post prices.

8. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by greenenergyguy View Post
    Is a different model line other than Legacy recommended instead? General thoughts on Bryant here on the forum? This is what this first contractor uses.
    I know some of us Pro's say focus on the installer, and I do agree that's important, but this person is just trying to make a decision on Bryant, based on this is what his contractor sells. By the way, I don't personally think all brands are created equal, some may disagree, but that's just my opinion. I just wished some of us Pro's would take some time to think for ourselves, and offer an opinion based on our personal experiences, and not just always jump on the bandwagon. The Homeowners come here to ask us questions, because some are clueless, and about to spend a lot of their hard earned dollars, and personally I feel they deserve more than, it's the install that counts, or get a heat load first, why can't they just get a simple opinion of a product/products we all are familiar with because we're in the business? If I were about to spend thousands on a product, I surely would want to know a little more about it that the basic answers, I would like to know a little bit of detail based on experiences of folks that have actually used or installed this product. Ok, yaw can bash me now for not jumping on the bandwagon, trust me I have a very thick skin....
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble"

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

10. Likes JohnFF, Mimbler liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. You're right, this is a huge purchase for most homeowners, as much as a good used car. I have done as much research on the subject as I can on the internet, though the variables remain such as which contractor to trust and being limited to what brand equipment that contractor chooses to work with.

Here are some questions:

1. Are there two other brands that the pros would recommend over Bryant?
    2. If going with Bryant, is the low-end Legacy equipment best avoided - worth extra for a mid-tier setup?
    3. Navien NPE 240A a good setup for a two bathroom small house?
    4. Is there a more preferred brand of tankless over Navien?
    5. Is paying 50% up front acceptable practice? I am a professional, and I do not get paid 50% up front. Net 60 for corporate clients to pay.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    I know some of us Pro's say focus on the installer, and I do agree that's important, but this person is just trying to make a decision on Bryant, based on this is what his contractor sells. By the way, I don't personally think all brands are created equal, some may disagree, but that's just my opinion. I just wished some of us Pro's would take some time to think for ourselves, and offer an opinion based on our personal experiences, and not just always jump on the bandwagon. The Homeowners come here to ask us questions, because some are clueless, and about to spend a lot of their hard earned dollars, and personally I feel they deserve more than, it's the install that counts, or get a heat load first, why can't they just get a simple opinion of a product/products we all are familiar with because we're in the business? If I were about to spend thousands on a product, I surely would want to know a little more about it that the basic answers, I would like to know a little bit of detail based on experiences of folks that have actually used or installed this product. Ok, yaw can bash me now for not jumping on the bandwagon, trust me I have a very thick skin....
    i agree mr bill, sometimes i wonder how some of these "pros" make a living. to each his own.

13. Likes Mr Bill liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Ask for AHRI matched equipment if your interested in the rebates CT. Is offering. A/C needs to meet 16 SEER and 12.5 EER. The furnace at 95% should apply also. There is the federal tax credit also, which if sticking to the 16 SEER threshold and 95% or higher should apply also.

Depends on what your looking for ( in a brand ) if your planning on staying in your residence a long time, Amana has lifetime whole unit outdoor unit replacement if the compressor ever fails to original registered owner. Same for some of their furnaces. Most if not all companies give either anew HX or compressor.

If your worried about repair labor cost ( parts still under manufacturers warranty, maybe consider a extended labor warranty, those are backed by the manufacturers and are either 5 or 10 years.

https://www.energystar.gov/about/fed...ty_tax_credits

Ct. rebates https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...y1xKgw3jJHh0Q-

Make sure to register your system of choice as manufacturers warranty decreases significantly if never registered.

Post Likes
    I think 2.5 tons of cooling for a 900 sq ft home in Connecticut is between .75 and 1 ton over sized.

2.5 tons = 360 sq ft per ton.
    2 tons = 450 sq ft per ton.
    1 ton = 600 sq ft per ton.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

16. Likes BaldLoonie liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. You're right, this is a huge purchase for most homeowners, as much as a good used car. I have done as much research on the subject as I can on the internet, though the variables remain such as which contractor to trust and being limited to what brand equipment that contractor chooses to work with.

Here are some questions:

1. Are there two other brands that the pros would recommend over Bryant?
    2. If going with Bryant, is the low-end Legacy equipment best avoided - worth extra for a mid-tier setup?
    3. Navien NPE 240A a good setup for a two bathroom small house?
    4. Is there a more preferred brand of tankless over Navien?
    5. Is paying 50% up front acceptable practice? I am a professional, and I do not get paid 50% up front. Net 60 for corporate clients to pay.
    dont know about the water heater but bryant equipment isnt bad. buy the 15-16 seer system

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I think 2.5 tons of cooling for a 900 sq ft home in Connecticut is between .75 and 1 ton over sized.

2.5 tons = 360 sq ft per ton.
    2 tons = 450 sq ft per ton.
    1 ton = 600 sq ft per ton.
    Hmm interesting. We also have about 500 square feet partially finished in the basement, with a single vent split off (previous owner set this up). Would be much better if the finished basement was a separate zone.

Post Likes
    Hmm interesting. We also have about 500 square feet partially finished in the basement, with a single vent split off (previous owner set this up). Would be much better if the finished basement was a separate zone.
    Better off just putting a portable dehumidifier in it for the summer. Below grade basements have very little need for cooling.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    To clarify yes this is SEER 16 and 95% furnace so it meets the energy rebates.

Post Likes
    Better off just putting a portable dehumidifier in it for the summer. Below grade basements have very little need for cooling.
    Agreed. The current system has a duct the previous owner tapped into with a vent so it vents AC into the basement. It is freezing in the summer!

The separate zone would be good for heat though; it could use better heating in the winter as I do use it as an office with computer.

Post Likes
    Agreed. The current system has a duct the previous owner tapped into with a vent so it vents AC into the basement. It is freezing in the summer!

The separate zone would be good for heat though; it could use better heating in the winter as I do use it as an office with computer.

Post Likes
    In the mild times of spring and fall. The first floor will gain a lot of solar heat, and not bring on the heat, so the basement will still be cold.

While a bit expensive, a mini split heat pump would work better for the basement for heat.
    Contractor locator map

Post Likes
    To clarify yes this is SEER 16 and 95% furnace so it meets the energy rebates.
    Needs to meet the minimum EER of 12.5 also not just the 16 SEER minimum threshold if you want rebates, needs to have a AHRI number that states its a matched system and meets those numbers. Here’s the form that you or the Contractor submits along with other documents. Shows needing the AHRI number.

AHRI1 Rated Central Air Conditioning Split System 16 SEER2 / 12.5 EER3.

The form given below shows 13 EER while the other one send you says 12.5. Should get clarification.

Not talking tons of money for the A/C side but the furnace rebates looks like it’s pretty generous.

https://www.energizect.com/sites/def...EB%20(002).pdf

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...znxCFNAi8fJHHj

Post Likes
    The contractor is applying the energize CT rebates instantly:

$650 CT energize rebate off furnace
    $300 CT energize rebate off tankless

You all would be able to see that had the moderator not deleted it. In this case, it's a state tax/rebate discussion, not price discussion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast