Thread: Differential PID loop with Yaskawa

Post Likes

Differential PID loop with Yaskawa

I need a differential PID loop to wire to a Yaskawa V1000 using 4-20mA signal.
    I would like to use source mode on the drive to power the pressure transducers using something like the VERIS PX3ULX05.

There would be two transducers one at each end of space and one set for example at .25"wc and the other at .40"wc with differential PID loop where the drive takes the differential PID feedback (feedback 1 minus feedback 2) to use with a PID setpoint.
    If the drive can not provide source for the transducer then a separate power supply can be used.

Yaskawa has a page that explains it but I am not still understanding the actual wiring and landing points to the drive.
    Link to Yaskawa setup:
    https://solutioncenter.yaskawa.com/s...chResults=true

Post Likes
    A quick look at the install doc for that drive and I'm not sure you can do it with 4-20mA sensors as it shows only Analog in 2 is capable of 4-20mA operation. The application note says the sensors must be of the same type and span in order for it to work, which would lead me to believe you would need 2 0-10V sensors that are exactly the same (i.e. both 0.40"wc at 10V).

It appears that the DC outputs on the drive for sensors are rated pretty low as well, only 20mA for the analog input and 8mA for the sourcing power supply.

Are you stuck with the yaskawa? I currently installing a couple of ABB ACH550 drives and they will be driving a pump with a differential pressure sensor. The +24V supply on those can source 250mA, I believe the Trane (Danfoss) drives are similar, and at least in the case of the ACH drives they can be setup with both analog inputs as 4-20mA, and then there is a software setup where you can tell the drive to operate the PID loop off the difference of the two analog inputs. I would be surprised if the Danfoss drives can't do the same (and the Danfoss drives have a very nice VFD setup program that can make life much easier!).

Post Likes
    The Engineer spec'd 4-20mA only, however choicer of the Yaskawa or can use the ACH550 as well.

Post Likes
    In that case you have 2 options, stay with the yaskawa and change the sensors. SETRA makes a unit that has 4-20mA pressure transducers, and it in turn outputs a single 4-20mA output which you would then feed into the Analog Input 2 of the Yaskawa drive, or get two identical 4-20mA pressure sensors and wire them into the two analog inputs of an ACH550. Programming and wiring with the first choice would be a little easier, although you would still probably need an external supply for the SETRA DP sensor. Here is what I am using, it is for CHilled water, but I am sure they make them for air. https://www.galco.com/buy/Setra/231G...hoCA-EQAvD_BwE

Post Likes
    4-20ma can be easily converted to 2 to 10VDC with a 500 ohm resistor. The hard part will be a regulated power supply to power the sensor. You will need the minimum voltage the sensor runs on plus 10VDC. Higher is fine as long as the maximum voltage of the sensor isn't exceeded.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by steve3871m View Post
    The Engineer spec'd 4-20mA only, however choicer of the Yaskawa or can use the ACH550 as well.
    +1 on switching to ABB. Dealt with ACH-580 for the first time months ago and these things are a dream to work with, the new first start menu had me floored. Yasuckawa was the low cost option for a reason. They do apparently have a dongle and a computer program to make them easier to work with, never used it though.