Thread: New homeowner worried

Post Likes

New homeowner worried

I just bought a house and the HVAC system in the attic is brand new. Not sure brand we been here not even a week.

I was in my attic and moved a piece of big plywood on the floor and it hit the PVC drain pipe where it attaches to the drain pan worried I may have broken or cracked something. I was just sliding it and the far end kind of smacked it the sound startled me. I went over and looked around a moved the pipe it seemed to still be snug attached to the pan. Anything specific I should look for? Cracks in pvc? Broken pan?

Post Likes
    Call the installing contractor and have it looked at.

Post Likes
    I reached out to the contractor who did the house, he said it should be fine and to run the AC for a few hours and check for any leaks. I will do that tonight.

Post Likes
    Is this a new house you bought and your the original owner? as you mention you bought a house. Either way take the serial number of each piece of equipment and go to the manufacturer web-site and check to see if it was registered to you. If system is not registered, then register it as manufacturers warranty decreases.

California or Quebec system need not be registered to receive maximum manufacturers warranty.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by GManHvac View Post
    I reached out to the contractor who did the house, he said it should be fine and to run the AC for a few hours and check for any leaks. I will do that tonight.
    Document this conversation now. If you have a leak it will be on him for not coming out to check it. You have a new house and a water leak in the attic can destroy your beautiful new ceiling.

Post Likes
    I'm curious to understand why a professional would place blame on another when the homeowner admittedly struck the line. It's not a contractors responsibility to repair damaged cause by abuse or neglect.

If it were a leak due to poor workmanship, then I would agree, but I think you're taking the blame game to the extreme.

To the homeowner, I would strongly suggest checking it out. If you heard a crack, then there's most likely a crack. If you're original installer can't or won't come out, then find another.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

7. Likes beshvac liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    Document this conversation now. If you have a leak it will be on him for not coming out to check it. You have a new house and a water leak in the attic can destroy your beautiful new ceiling.
    The customer hitting the drain line with a piece of wood, is NOT a warranty item. So maybe the contractor is saving the customer from paying for a service call.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    You're kidding, right?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk