Thread: Distilled Vinegar to clean Condensate pump?

Post Likes

Distilled Vinegar to clean Condensate pump?

Hello guys,

I have a 1/2 gal capacity condensate pump and was wondering about how often and how much, of anything, to pour into the pipe in order to clean it/maintain it?

This was installed at the beginning of the summer and I just now learn that I might have to do this.

Anything I should do since I have not done it at all and going forward next summer, is it every month or once in a while?

Thanks

Post Likes
    White vinegar is good probably 2-3 times a year. I feel bleach is too corrosive for that since it leaves behind sodium ions. The best solution may be condensate drain tablets. I'm sure they're easy to buy off Amazon and they are like little pills that dissolve in condensate and keep sludge down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

3. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Depending on how and where it is installed I prefer to pull it out and wash the tank with a garden hose at least once a year preferably twice. Also there are condensate pan tablets for condensate pumps that can be added to help prevent sludge build up. I don't know about vinegar. I really think vinegar is best kept in pickles and salad. It's food not a cleaner although it does work alright for removing calcium.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

5. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The pump is in the crawlspace where the air handler is. It is supposed to catch the water that comes from the condenser and pump it out of the foundation. So I have a pipe going into the foundation and into the pump for cleaning and one out from the pump through the foundation for removing condensation.

I guess, tablets would still work? Vinegar is what I was told for the pump basically.

Post Likes
    If you use vinegar judiciously, it is a great cleaner and disinfectant. If you use it like some of the testing labs , it can destroy many things.
    It appears they use straight white vinegar in their tests, whereas, if recommended dilutions are followed, it performs well.
    I'd say use it carefully. Most of my customers who ask, I tell them about 4 to 1 mix for minisplits. Seems to work well. Probably work well on condensate pumps.
    But pulling the pump and flushing it as r600 said is always good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icy78 View Post
    If you use vinegar judiciously, it is a great cleaner and disinfectant. If you use it like some of the testing labs , it can destroy many things.
    It appears they use straight white vinegar in their tests, whereas, if recommended dilutions are followed, it performs well.
    I'd say use it carefully. Most of my customers who ask, I tell them about 4 to 1 mix for minisplits. Seems to work well. Probably work well on condensate pumps.
    But pulling the pump and flushing it as r600 said is always good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Thank you for your reply.

Will do the 4 to 1 mix (assuming it is 5 cups or 40 oz and the capacity of the pump is 64 oz capacity (0.5gal) but would like to know in average how many times a year I should do this cleaning with this mix and if it is only maybe during the summer when there is condensation there?

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatPumpTN View Post
    Thank you for your reply.

Will do the 4 to 1 mix (assuming it is 5 cups or 40 oz and the capacity of the pump is 64 oz capacity (0.5gal) but would like to know in average how many times a year I should do this cleaning with this mix and if it is only maybe during the summer when there is condensation there?

Thanks
    Times a year varies by location. Florida as much as possible . Colorado once a year.

You'll get to know your system as you practice keeping an eye on it!

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

10. Likes R600a, icy78 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    Times a year varies by location. Florida as much as possible . Colorado once a year.

You'll get to know your system as you practice keeping an eye on it!

I am in TN, so I get humid summers, and then all seasons are dry. I would guess that it would be once a month during the AC summer times or something like that and then, there should be no condensation on the air handler during non AC seasons, is this accurate.

Thanks all

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatPumpTN View Post
    I am in TN, so I get humid summers, and then all seasons are dry. I would guess that it would be once a month during the AC summer times or something like that and then, there should be no condensation on the air handler during non AC seasons, is this accurate.

Thanks all
    Yeah don't worry about it too much. Just look in the pump and see if it's growing sludge or not. I'm in climate like TN and keep in mind that 99. 9% of our customers never do anything to their pump and they seem to last about 10 years. There's no magic formula to it, just keep an eye on it. You're already ahead of the game. I don't foresee you having any problems whatsoever.