+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flue Too Small for Liner?

Post Likes

Flue Too Small for Liner?

I have a wood burning fireplace that I would like to install a wood-burning insert in. The flue is currently an 8"x8" terracotta liner with a short, gradual (looks to be less than 45 degrees) bend in it. The insert that I picked out calls for a 6" flue liner (Vogelzang Plate Steel Wood Burning Insert Model #VG1820E). The contractors that have given me quotes have either told me it can't be done or that they will need to break out the existing liner to install a stainless steel liner. I have attached the pages from the level II inspection report we got last year. Is it possible to get an insert to work here? Or am I really stuck with just the fireplace?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    You would need to remove the flue tiles to make room for a liner with the requisite insulation to meet the listing for a zero clearance to combustibles. Any competent chimney contractor should be able to break out the old flue tile.

Post Likes
    wont you think that its better if you ask a pro. to help you.

Post Likes
    Well the "pro" I ended up paying to do this just shoved a single wall liner into the existing flue didn't even clean it out first. Fingers crossed the 20 year old creosote sitting in there doesn't ignite. If you want something done right I guess you need to do it yourself.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in