Thread: Change programmable thermostat to non-programmable ?

Post Likes

Change programmable thermostat to non-programmable ?

Hello New member here Located in central Virginia, New first time owner/user of a heat pump. Replaced a 25 year old Trane xe1000 2 ton a/c with a Trane 2 ton heat pump.
    Installed as a dual fuel unit. I kept my Thermo-Pride oil furnace as heating unit.
    Thermostat is a Honeywell Vision PRO TH 8000, my first programmable thermostat.
    Smooth efficient installation. By a local professional company. Have been using for about a week.
    Everything works as it should.
    I now find that the Honeywell stat is ok for me to use, but my better half would rather have manual control that she can use. We like our temperature kept at the same level
    Day and night, winter and summer.

My question is: can this thermostat (Honeywell Pro TH 8000) be changed to be a non programmable unit?

All I want is Heat Cool, and Off.
    Thanks.

Post Likes
    So you want the auto mode removed?

Yes that mode can be removed but you can also just chose heat or cool and avoid setting it in auto.

As far as temp and schedule goes, if you do not want a schedule then select permanent hold.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

3. Likes stumpdigger, vineyard liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks JayMan7 - I can certainly do that, but , My Wife can't ! I might leave this earth at any time and I am trying to get her comfortable using things here at home in my absence. Thanks for taking time to answer. vineyard

Post Likes
    Actually I should add this...

I think I recently installed an 8000 or something similar and realized that if I set it up for program then there actually was no permanent hold option. I couldn't believe how stupid that was and I had to remove the program option. So if that's the case with your thermostat the installer may come back out and reprogram it for you or they may be able to walk you through it over the phone.

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

6. Likes vineyard liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vineyard View Post
    Thanks JayMan7 - I can certainly do that, but , My Wife can't ! I might leave this earth at any time and I am trying to get her comfortable using things here at home in my absence. Thanks for taking time to answer. vineyard
    So for clarification are you trying to remove the "auto" feature so that the menu only provides the options "off" "cool" "heat"?

Or are you just trying to make it non programmable. Auto and program are two different features.

8. Likes vineyard liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I want to remove all schedules, I know how to change and put on temp or permanent hold, but I want to make it so my wife only has to choose between as few options as possible... So, yes Want to make it Non-programmable ... Thanks for the reply.

Post Likes
    An internet search will tell you how to do this.

Another option is to cancel each possible period, I think you can cancel all but one, and then just set the temp there. It would be almost like what you want to accomplish if you can't find the info on the internet or have the installing company come back out and do it.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

11. Likes vineyard liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Just use H O L D !

13. Likes vineyard liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by vineyard View Post
    I want to remove all schedules, I know how to change and put on temp or permanent hold, but I want to make it so my wife only has to choose between as few options as possible... So, yes Want to make it Non-programmable ... Thanks for the reply.
    Ok the thermostat can be set up to be non-programmed. Because it's a new install try calling the company that installed it. We get several of these calls a year on new installs and we always just go over and take care of it for free. I think the last one I personally did I just helped the guy reprogram it over the phone, but that was a 5000, an 8000 is a a little more complicated to re program so try calling the installers and just let us know if it doesn't work out for you.

15. Likes vineyard liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks JayMan7 - I have an e-mail composed to send to the Installer, explaining what I want to accomplish, and asking them to call me at their convenience. I appreciate all the response from the members here !
    Thanks, Vineyard