Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ruptured Filter Driers

Post Likes
    About the only way I think a FD could separate is hydrostatically. Trapped somehow. I've seen this event once on a very large built up heat pump. A couple hundred tons. Refrigerant was trapped between a valve and receiver. Liquids just don't compress. At least in our hvac world.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

2. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    The only time I've dealt with components exploding was a Mitsubishi multi city. One of the check valves exploded. They said it was due to internal wear from low load operation.
    +1 Chops. Was also given same response from Mitsu. When ya see stuff like that, really drives home the importance of wearing safety glasses all the time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    About the only way I think a FD could separate is hydrostatically. Trapped somehow. I've seen this event once on a very large built up heat pump. A couple hundred tons. Refrigerant was trapped between a valve and receiver. Liquids just don't compress. At least in our hvac world.
    Yeah, I'm on this boat too.

The weird part is 2 separate units having same fault within a month.

OP, does the site have a BMS system? Maybe there are trend logs to see what units were doing at time of failure.

Since customer is probably a little nervous at this point about equipment, maybe pressure relief valves piped next to the LLFDs would be a cost effective safety?

5. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Yes there is a JCi Metasys on-site . I'll need to see how much they will allow me ; seem to be very protective of thier controls system . That alone has me a little suspicious . I can navigate the JCI Metasys , they just are very reluctant to allow me to see much of the settings. I explain " I'm here to help" . I like the idea of adding pressure relief valves and pipping them to vent outside of unit.

7. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    When there's a possibility of hydrostatic failure of liquid line piping or component, it's common to install a differential pressure type relief valve. If there's a solenoid valve downstream of a check valve for example, the relief valve might be piped around the solenoid valve to relive excessive pressure. In this way, no failure occurs and the refrigerant isn't lost to atmosphere. I saw this done once on a large remote air-cooled chiller

9. Likes dieseldude, Lahrs, CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    When there's a possibility of hydrostatic failure of liquid line piping or component, it's common to install a differential pressure type relief valve. If there's a solenoid valve downstream of a check valve for example, the relief valve might be piped around the solenoid valve to relive excessive pressure. In this way, no failure occurs and the refrigerant isn't lost to atmosphere. I saw this done once on a large remote air-cooled chiller
    Trane used to do this in their large packaged condenser units. There was a section of piping with a check valve and solenoid, which isolated that section. All those units had a relief valve piped around the hydro-locked section of piping.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CHILLERSVCMAN View Post
    Has anyone else seen liquid line driers explode ?
    NO, not that I've ever seen / heard of or read on this site or anywhere else.
    How about a follow up of your diagnosis ?

Post Likes
    Vendor literature is showing a check valve in the reheat coil discharge line, but the filter drier locations is not shown.
    Potential issue if filter drier is between reheat coil and check valve.

13. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 71CHOPS View Post
    Trane used to do this in their large packaged condenser units. There was a section of piping with a check valve and solenoid, which isolated that section. All those units had a relief valve piped around the hydro-locked section of piping.
    This was an option on some of the C02 refrigeration racks as well....

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ehsx View Post
    Vendor literature is showing a check valve in the reheat coil discharge line, but the filter drier locations is not shown.
    Potential issue if filter drier is between reheat coil and check valve.
    https://www.aaon.com/Documents/Techn...ion_170921.pdf

Note 2 check valves in 2nd drawing. If EXV or non-bleed port TXV you could have hydrostatic pressures.

16. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    This was an option on some of the C02 refrigeration racks as well....

The standard option is just to crap your pants upon the pressure relief activating?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

18. Likes crazzycajun, misterfix liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    The standard option is just to crap your pants upon the pressure relief activating?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Pretty much if you don't like the noise of the high side pressure reliefs going off outside at more than 2100 psig

The option was called Anti-relief by LMP. It was supposed to relieve back into the suction through a stepper valve before the high side reliefs blow to prevent loosing gas.

20. Likes Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Waiting for approval to proceed . I should get go ahead later this week .

22. Likes VTP99, Lahrs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    We include pressure reliefs back into the system on any section that may get liquid liquid locked on ammonia systems that we design.

24. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    We had one. It was a replacement and it one end came off. It dumped the circuits refrigerant into the air stream, set the fire alarm off and before the fire dampers shut allowed enough refrigerant in to look like smoke. The fireman were ready to axe the ceiling when I found the blown dryer. I saw all the rock in the floor of the unit and then I looked up and saw all the bent copper.

26. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I am still awaiting the go ahead for further work at this facility . That unit repairs got pushed back due to a major BAS system loss of communications to ALL systems ; HVAC , lighting , dock door receptacles ( dock lights and dock door fans ) . This particular unit is one that is listed " NON- CRITACAL "

Post Likes
    I’m willing to bet the HPS was bypassed and the compressor did not high amp at the time..it’s not hard to cover a mistake like that...the AAONs I work on have the single trip and rated at 650psi CO With 410a

29. Likes CHILLERSVCMAN liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Dear Mr. Sporlan/Emerson,Tech Support? I have a neat little problem,what do you think?

Post Likes
    Response was thier devices are tested and rated to labeled pressures . They have no control of installation practices or techniques .

Post Likes
    High Pressure Switch was not by-passed upon my arrival - can not say the status prior to my arrival . It was the second thing I investigated that night . Still waiting approval to return . I feel they are trying to find some one at fault to recover lost funds due to down time . I'm not the contractor on record for these units . I was the person most near the facility they had on " speed dial " The contractor is part of a NATIONAL ACCOUNT agreement based out of NEW HAMPSHIRE " This gets better by the minute

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast