Thread: Combustion analysis

Post Likes

Combustion analysis

Is it possible to use a combustion analyzer on a gas package unit? If so, where would you position the probe? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    In the exhaust port/ports.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mazak View Post
    Is it possible to use a combustion analyzer on a gas package unit? If so, where would you position the probe? Thanks
    Place it as far in the exhaust as you can without hitting the inducer fan.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rundawg View Post
    Place it as far in the exhaust as you can without hitting the inducer fan.
    And without melting any plastic on your probe handle.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    On anything smaller than a power burner , I just adjust the burner air plates wide open. Most of these inshot burners there is nothing to adjust except for gas pressure. My goal is to make them burn clean, I could care less about saving pennies on gas. Personally I don't like walking onto a "firemans" special. That's when you find all the power and gas disconnected, then start it to get a huge rollout. After that you have to remove the jacket to get to the heat exchanger which is plugged solid with hard soot. Next pull the burner set and figure out some way to drill through the flu passes and scrape out the flu pipe. Hours later when you come out of equipment room completely black to get the heat restored (along with a big bill) the customer is mad as hell because the equipment room is also covered in black soot that a vacuum cleaner won't clean up. Sorry guys but I don't like looking down a Morrison tube to find that it's sooted up.
    " The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mazak View Post

Good that you're doing that.
    Last week, out of 10 package units I found 5 burning OK. The others needed lo-nox inserts removing , or were over fired, or 1 was way underfired.

Interesting that 2 out of 3, 25 ton voyagers (power burners) were stable at -0.11" GP only. Not lower, not higher. Variance of 0.03 max.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Should always use an analyzer when possible. Old timer I worked with would tell you to throw away any bellows or bourdon gauges used for checking low pressure gas, used only u-tube manometers.
    Draft gauges are also under utilized tools.

Post Likes
    NOX rods or screens should be removed 100% of the time. They are useless and cause equipment to malfunction. Air shutters on atmospheric burners are wide open on natural gas but need some adjustment on LP. Regardless, unless a combustion analyzer is used, no adjustment is guaranteed safe!
    captain CO

10. Likes R600a, ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the input!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpdigger View Post
    On anything smaller than a power burner , I just adjust the burner air plates wide open. Most of these inshot burners there is nothing to adjust except for gas pressure. My goal is to make them burn clean, I could care less about saving pennies on gas. Personally I don't like walking onto a "firemans" special. That's when you find all the power and gas disconnected, then start it to get a huge rollout. After that you have to remove the jacket to get to the heat exchanger which is plugged solid with hard soot. Next pull the burner set and figure out some way to drill through the flu passes and scrape out the flu pipe. Hours later when you come out of equipment room completely black to get the heat restored (along with a big bill) the customer is mad as hell because the equipment room is also covered in black soot that a vacuum cleaner won't clean up. Sorry guys but I don't like looking down a Morrison tube to find that it's sooted up.
    That escalated quickly lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurst11 View Post
    That escalated quickly lol
    I'll give you some escalation! The bean counters won't get the boilers cleaned at the end of heating season, they want to earn $20 interest on that wasted money. Then they wait until it's under 40*F to light the boilers. Then the boilers start leaking like a sieve because of all the carbon soot left in the fire tubes rotted thru the steel. Next comes the Chinese Fire Drill to re-tube all of the boilers. JThen they ***** at me why all the boilers are shot and I can't say a thing because the "combustion analyzer team" adjusted the power burners.
    SET THE gd THINGS TO BURN ALL OF THE FUEL, NOT RUN FUEL RICH, IT'S A BOILER NOT A MUSCLE CAR aaaaaaaaaaaarg.
    BLUE FLAME, NOT YELLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by stumpdigger; 10-03-2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: additional thougt
    " The more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpdigger View Post
    I'll give you some escalation! The bean counters won't get the boilers cleaned at the end of heating season, they want to earn $20 interest on that wasted money. Then they wait until it's under 40*F to light the boilers. Then the boilers start leaking like a sieve because of all the carbon soot left in the fire tubes rotted thru the steel. Next comes the Chinese Fire Drill to re-tube all of the boilers. JThen they ***** at me why all the boilers are shot and I can't say a thing because the "combustion analyzer team" adjusted the power burners.
    SET THE gd THINGS TO BURN ALL OF THE FUEL, NOT RUN FUEL RICH, IT'S A BOILER NOT A MUSCLE CAR aaaaaaaaaaaarg.
    BLUE FLAME, NOT YELLOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Color of flame doesnt tell you how its burning.
    And, wielding of an analyzer, doesn't mean the appliance gets set up correctly., if the "wielder" can't correctly interpret the readings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

15. Likes ksefan liked this post.