Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Question about filter direction for clean air

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes

    Question about filter direction for clean air

    Hello,

    I have a large filter in the hallway and above that filter is a smaller filter (10 x 20 x 1). This smaller filter is located by sliding a piece of metal out and installing it. This filter is to bring outside air inside the home. It is my understanding that a fan will click on every 20 minutes to bring air from the outside of the home. There is a fan on on side of the filter and a medium sized hole on the other side of the filter.

    I'm not sure if I installed it correctly. I placed the mesh side with the wires/fabric against the fan itself a few minutes ago. However, later on I was thinking that the fan actually sucks in the outside air and I would need to change it so the wire/mesh side would press up against the medium sized hole since it is sucking air through there.

    Which way do you think is correct?

    The filter sits vertically above my regular filter.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    4,293
    Post Likes
    The mesh goes on the downstream side of the filter so that it holds the filter cloth against the airflow so that it doesn't balloon out.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    So does it look like I have it on correctly?

    The filter itself is fine, I'm just verifying the direction because this is different from most air filters.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    4,293
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime7 View Post
    So does it look like I have it on correctly?

    The filter itself is fine, I'm just verifying the direction because this is different from most air filters.
    If the air is hitting the mesh side first it is wrong. I was having a hard time following the description.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    9
    Post Likes
    Thread Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    If the air is hitting the mesh side first it is wrong. I was having a hard time following the description.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

    So there is a fan on the left that pulls air through the filter. On the other side of the filter is a medium sized hole that leads up to a pipe in the roof that brings in fresh air.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Oklahoma home its in the name
    Posts
    4,293
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime7 View Post
    So there is a fan on the left that pulls air through the filter. On the other side of the filter is a medium sized hole that leads up to a pipe in the roof that brings in fresh air.
    If I understand correctly you need to put the mesh towards the fan.

    Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •