+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about filter direction for clean air

Post Likes

Question about filter direction for clean air

Hello,

I have a large filter in the hallway and above that filter is a smaller filter (10 x 20 x 1). This smaller filter is located by sliding a piece of metal out and installing it. This filter is to bring outside air inside the home. It is my understanding that a fan will click on every 20 minutes to bring air from the outside of the home. There is a fan on on side of the filter and a medium sized hole on the other side of the filter.

I'm not sure if I installed it correctly. I placed the mesh side with the wires/fabric against the fan itself a few minutes ago. However, later on I was thinking that the fan actually sucks in the outside air and I would need to change it so the wire/mesh side would press up against the medium sized hole since it is sucking air through there.

Which way do you think is correct?

The filter sits vertically above my regular filter.

Any help would be appreciated.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    The mesh goes on the downstream side of the filter so that it holds the filter cloth against the airflow so that it doesn't balloon out.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    So does it look like I have it on correctly?

The filter itself is fine, I'm just verifying the direction because this is different from most air filters.

Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Primetime7 View Post
    So does it look like I have it on correctly?

The filter itself is fine, I'm just verifying the direction because this is different from most air filters.
    If the air is hitting the mesh side first it is wrong. I was having a hard time following the description.

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    If the air is hitting the mesh side first it is wrong. I was having a hard time following the description.

So there is a fan on the left that pulls air through the filter. On the other side of the filter is a medium sized hole that leads up to a pipe in the roof that brings in fresh air.

Post Likes
    So there is a fan on the left that pulls air through the filter. On the other side of the filter is a medium sized hole that leads up to a pipe in the roof that brings in fresh air.
    If I understand correctly you need to put the mesh towards the fan.

Post Likes
    If I understand correctly you need to put the mesh towards the fan.

I looked with a flashlight and saw two medium sized holes and no fan. I was told that it pulls in outside air with a fan every 20 minutes. It is 15' in the ceiling and I can't just put my hand up there to feel the air. I think that I will need to pull it after a week to see which side the dust is hitting. If it is hitting the mesh side then I'm good. If the other side then I need to flip it.

8. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I looked with a flashlight and saw two medium sized holes and no fan. I was told that it pulls in outside air with a fan every 20 minutes. It is 15' in the ceiling and I can't just put my hand up there to feel the air. I think that I will need to pull it after a week to see which side the dust is hitting. If it is hitting the mesh side then I'm good. If the other side then I need to flip it.
    If the side with the metal mesh is dirty then you have it in backwards. The fan is probably the furnace or a handler blower.

Post Likes
    If the side with the metal mesh is dirty then you have it in backwards. The fan is probably the furnace or a handler blower.

Sorry - I meant the front side. I called it mesh, but I was wrong. If the dust hits the front of the filter then I'm good correct?

11. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'm going to share a photo of what I have.

Post Likes
    I need 1 more post though.

Post Likes
    I thought that I had enough.

Post Likes
    Ok here is the photo:

https://i.postimg.cc/76GX9Z8x/pic.jpg

The metal part slides out and then the filter goes up vertically. At the top of the filter, there are two holes. Not sure which way the air direction goes though.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in