Thread: Maytag IQ Drive throwing errors

Post Likes

Maytag IQ Drive throwing errors

I have a Maytag branded Nordyne IQ Drive that is displaying intermittent errors. One day the A/C ran continuously at the lowest speed, and would not increase even though the room temperature was not going down. After a few hours the thermostat displayed a "low pressure switch" warning. Turning the air handler off and then on didn't correct it. Hours after that the thermostat screen turned bright red with the same error and said the sensor failed and service was required. The light made it difficult to sleep so I chose the reset option on the thermostat and went to bed, planning on making making an appointment in the morning.
    In the morning the A/C was running fine, and has been running fine since except for displaying a "coil temp sensor" warning once, which has not appeared again.

Should I schedule a service call now or wait until it really dies? I don't mind the system being down for a few days while I wait for an opening. What could be going wrong and why would it come back to life? If the coil is freezing somehow that might explain the two alerts (in my unqualified opinion) but the air handler is in the attic and it gets damn hot up there. Does it seem like something simple, or should I brace myself for a very expensive repair (system is 12 years old).

Post Likes
    Definitely schedule a service call. When equipment starts acting up the last thing you want to do is ignore it. Not to mention the fact that if the system is not running right you are going to start paying for it in electric bills.

As far as what to exspect, ideally we like to see a system go past 12 yrs. But at 12 yrs old it's not unusual to encounter a costly repair. I would go ahead and prepare for that, and maybe with some luck it will actually not be that bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

3. Likes bobboan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Does your system use the old refrigerant R22 or does it use the newer R410a? On the side of the outdoor condenser will be a data plate that will tell you which refrigerant and how much of it the outdoor unit holds. It could just be a sensor or could be more expensive, only a tech onsite could tell you

Post Likes
    Get it serviced now. This problem will only get worst.
    And we are almost in the shoulder season, so the better time to repair it!
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Makeitcold View Post
    Does your system use the old refrigerant R22 or does it use the newer R410a? On the side of the outdoor condenser will be a data plate that will tell you which refrigerant and how much of it the outdoor unit holds. It could just be a sensor or could be more expensive, only a tech onsite could tell you
    It's the new stuff because they had to replace all the lines; I was told the refrigerants were incompatible.

Post Likes
    The compressor was at 50 psi, they added 4 pounds of refrigerant. Now I have to monitor the system, it obviously has a leak but I don't know how bad. Four pounds lost over twelve years, or four pounds recently.
    The worst part was making the appointment. When I stated that "the thermostat is displaying errors 'low pressure switch' and 'coil temp sensor'" the front office kept trying to walk me through replacing the batteries, turning the thermostat on and off, etc. I could not get them to understand the thermostat was only reporting system errors. Obviously the tech, once he arrived, understood and quickly checked the pressure.

8. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If that unit is an Inverter Driven compressor your can't not "Just Add" refrigerant. the entire charge must be pulled and weighed to know exactly how much is in there. Any # of things can cause your trouble code.

Sounds like this contractor is guessing!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    If that unit is an Inverter Driven compressor your can't not "Just Add" refrigerant. the entire charge must be pulled and weighed to know exactly how much is in there. Any # of things can cause your trouble code.

Sounds like this contractor is guessing!
    It's an IQ-Drive so it's an inverter. It's quite hot today, and I set the thermostat to as low as it would go so I assume it was running all out. Would he have just charged until the pressure was correct?
    Should I call them and ask to speak to someone with knowledge of inverter systems?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rick66 View Post
    It's an IQ-Drive so it's an inverter. It's quite hot today, and I set the thermostat to as low as it would go so I assume it was running all out. Would he have just charged until the pressure was correct?
    Should I call them and ask to speak to someone with knowledge of inverter systems?
    Not sure of the Nordine but and Mini I've dealt with wants the charged weighed. When in Doubt Weigh it out!

Post Likes
    they NEED to check for leaks and find them. This will kill that system.
    Also are you sure it is exactly 12 years old. that system may have a 12 year warranty. If so get it repaired fast!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    they NEED to check for leaks and find them. This will kill that system.
    Also are you sure it is exactly 12 years old. that system may have a 12 year warranty. If so get it repaired fast!
    I checked the paperwork, it's a ten year warranty. Installed on August 26, 2010. D'oh!
    At least I got a new control board before the warranty expired, thanks to a lizard curling up between two contacts.
    Paychecks are few and far between right now, once they're regular again I'll get it leak tested. I'd also like to wait until winter so the tech doesn't swelter in an unconditioned attic, I'm not cruel.

Any rule-of-thumb for repair vs replacement in case it needs a new coil? I don't know failure rates & cost over time. A new unit shouldn't be any more efficient because Nordyne already claims 24 SEER.

Post Likes
    I checked the paperwork, it's a ten year warranty. Installed on August 26, 2010. D'oh!
    At least I got a new control board before the warranty expired, thanks to a lizard curling up between two contacts.
    Paychecks are few and far between right now, once they're regular again I'll get it leak tested. I'd also like to wait until winter so the tech doesn't swelter in an unconditioned attic, I'm not cruel.

Any rule-of-thumb for repair vs replacement in case it needs a new coil? I don't know failure rates & cost over time. A new unit shouldn't be any more efficient because Nordyne already claims 24 SEER.
    For as long as we have been installing that brand/unit it has been a 12 year warranty. It may be a local thing, I don't know.
    If you are within 12 years of the installation date, I would call the manufacturer directly with the Model/Serial number of the unit.

https://www.maytaghvac.com/warranty/
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Since the Nordyne could be using a completely different parts list by now, I would want to know if they will support this unit going forward as i dont think the aftermarket is going to produce parts for a high end system (read expensive parts) that was a low volume model.

Post Likes
    Since the Nordyne could be using a completely different parts list by now, I would want to know if they will support this unit going forward as i dont think the aftermarket is going to produce parts for a high end system (read expensive parts) that was a low volume model.
    On the one's we installed....
    The warranty always said they would replace the OUTSIDE UNIT for a bad compressor.
    BUT, the homeowner was responsible for upgrades to make it work.
    I have replaced a couple of 16/17 SEER 2 speeds, but never had a problem after jumping through the verification hoops.
    They still make the Variable speed units (and they are becoming more popular) so parts are so far not a problem...
    Maybe somewhat expensive sometimes...

We had to give up Maytag because of distributor musical chairs....
    TFMM

Post Likes
    I've always been curious though with the variable capacity A/C's how much the warranty is worth if everything inside is proprietary knowledge. Say tomorrow they use a whole different compressor/inverter setup and dont plan on supporting the old system, I suppose they could give you a new condenser but if it isnt compatible with the old a/h or furnace then your buying a whole new system either way at 12 years. They arent making R22 equipment anymore so where does that leave the OP if the compressor fails?

Post Likes
    I've always been curious though with the variable capacity A/C's how much the warranty is worth if everything inside is proprietary knowledge. Say tomorrow they use a whole different compressor/inverter setup and dont plan on supporting the old system, I suppose they could give you a new condenser but if it isnt compatible with the old a/h or furnace then your buying a whole new system either way at 12 years. They arent making R22 equipment anymore so where does that leave the OP if the compressor fails?
    All inverters that I know of are 410a (newer equipment).
    As far as I know there are about 3 inverter compressor manufacturers.
    They all provide the boards as kits. If Mr. Trane or Carrier tells you different..
    Of course I may be wrong...
    TFMM

Post Likes
    All Maytags carry a 12 year warranty since that's Nordyne's premium brand. It's 10 years on the other brands.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    For as long as we have been installing that brand/unit it has been a 12 year warranty. https://www.maytaghvac.com/warranty/
    I have not idea why I wrote Maytag, except for a serious senior moment. The unit is branded by Nutone. Apologies for the confusion.