Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice on heaters

Post Likes
    is anyone here familiar with an architecture in Europe referred to as Passvhaus where the primary Heating source is referred to as the construction material , then geothermal heatpump and usually combined with solar, Very well insualted home and some incite to components as well to retain heat. I have one place with it a house where the geothermal feeds underfloor manifolds for each zone , I have been there when down in the 40sf outside and people inside none the wiser heat is made in cylinder but not even being used yet, which is almost unheard of in normal house construction. obviously high first cost investment, but rapid payback in energy savings , this system also makes the DHW.
    Keep it simple to keep it cool!

Post Likes

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stanbyyourword View Post
    is anyone here familiar with an architecture in Europe referred to as Passvhaus where the primary Heating source is referred to as the construction material , then geothermal heatpump and usually combined with solar, Very well insualted home and some incite to components as well to retain heat. I have one place with it a house where the geothermal feeds underfloor manifolds for each zone , I have been there when down in the 40sf outside and people inside none the wiser heat is made in cylinder but not even being used yet, which is almost unheard of in normal house construction. obviously high first cost investment, but rapid payback in energy savings , this system also makes the DHW.

Nothing new, and basically another name, with a couple more whistles, placed on an old concept that's been around for literally decades. They might use solar orientation, radiant mass heat storage, passive ventilation, or a hundred other similar concepts too numerous to list here.

Check out the underground, and berm home craze from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. Granted, there are some pro's, but there are some very serious con's to consider, before anyone would want to jump on this wagon.

Post Likes
    From what I understand the components down to the tiles are selected specially to retain heat

Post Likes
    This book was written many years ago by a fellow that was building one in Missoula MT and needed no aux heat or cooling. Some of the ventilation ideas were quite genius. Would have liked to build on myself! Just never had the opportunity or the spare cash to do so....

https://www.amazon.com/Passive-annua...s%2C232&sr=8-3
    A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot.
    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12