Thread: How to become a High Pressure Tender NYC?

Post Likes

How to become a High Pressure Tender NYC?

First I would like to apologies if this post is inappropriate. I am new to the site and mean no disrespect.

I would like to change careers and get into the High Pressure Tender/ Oiler/ Fireman/ Stationary Engineering trade. I'm currently in NY, so I tried applying to my local Stationary union but didnt make it past the entry exam. I've been trying to find ways to get my foot in the door but information is hard to come back. So if anyone would be so kind and possible inform me on any school's or certificate, or any piece of information that might help me find my way into the trade, or a trade similar I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and I would like to apologies again if this is an inappropriate post.

Post Likes
    What career are you currently in?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JayMan7 View Post
    What career are you currently in?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I've been unemployed for sometime now, but I've been doing building maintenance, porter work in buildings. I got my Fire life and safety director C OF F, but I'm looking for anything els that would help me get in.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Stud93 View Post
    I've been unemployed for sometime now, but I've been doing building maintenance, porter work in buildings. I got my Fire life and safety director C OF F, but I'm looking for anything els that would help me get in.
    Find a Local 30 or 94 building and get a job there. Once hired you can join the union.

Post Likes
    I've heard that's a way to get in, I've been looking but it's been a difficult to find one building. Thank you very much for your reply.

Post Likes
    The problem is you have no experience working with high pressure steam and boilers. Having a High Pressure Boiler Engineer license would help but with your background they wont even give you the exam.
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

Post Likes
    I know! I dont meet any of the requirements for the High Pressure Boiler License in NYC. I was wondering if there's any classes I can take to help me get my foot in the door. Or if there's any certificate I can get?

I've been looking at taking classes at New York City College Of Technology, they have several course on Oil Gun type burners and Boilers to see if that would help me. I also been thinking of taking a course at Laguardia Community College where they prepare you to take the P-99 Refrigerator Machine Operator Exam, and also prepare you for to take the Universal Technician exam from the EPA.

Thank you so much for your time and comment with my post, I really appreciate it!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    The problem is you have no experience working with high pressure steam and boilers. Having a High Pressure Boiler Engineer license would help but with your background they wont even give you the exam.
    I know! I dont meet any of the requirements for the High Pressure Boiler License in NYC. I was wondering if there's any classes I can take to help me get my foot in the door. Or if there's any certificate I can get?

I've been looking at taking classes at New York City College Of Technology, they have several course on Oil Gun type burners and Boilers to see if that would help me. I also been thinking of taking a course at Laguardia Community College where they prepare you to take the P-99 Refrigerator Machine Operator Exam, and also prepare you for to take the Universal Technician exam from the EPA.

Thank you so much for your time and comment with my post, I really appreciate it!

Post Likes
    What is it Startit City?
    Get a minimum wage position
    Put your 3-5 years in (whatever’s Required today)
    Get your certificate
    Like everyone else

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    What is it Startit City?
    Get a minimum wage position
    Put your 3-5 years in (whatever’s Required today)
    Get your certificate
    Like everyone else
    I would take it if I could find it. Thank you for your comment and for reading my post.

What did you mean by Startit City?

Post Likes
    In the Bronx
    Last high pressure building to get your Steam time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    In the Bronx
    Last high pressure building to get your Steam time.
    Ok ill look in to them, Thank you very much for your time and help.

Post Likes
    No experience and you wanna play with HP steam instantly? You want to get in the Union with no experience? There’s a reason there are so many levels of boiler operators licenses, you are dealing with equipment that will turn into a bomb if you close the wrong valve at the wrong time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    No experience and you wanna play with HP steam instantly? You want to get in the Union with no experience? There’s a reason there are so many levels of boiler operators licenses, you are dealing with equipment that will turn into a bomb if you close the wrong valve at the wrong time.
    I understand your point completely, I did not mean any disrespect when I asked my question, I understand theres a great deal of knowledge that goes into the operations and maintenance of boilers systems. You cant just grab someone off the street and leave them in charge of a system like that, I understand.

Maybe I didn't express myself correctly and I apologies if I didn't. Everyone started from somewhere and I want to know where can I get my start in this trade. Whether its going to a school and takes courses where I can learn the basics and start out that way (if you know of any please let me know!), or is it possible to start out as a helper(if you know anywhere thats hiring I would appreciate that as well)?

Thank you for reading and responding to my post, your comment is appreciated!