Thread: Building Pressure Relief Duct Sizing

Post Likes

Building Pressure Relief Duct Sizing

Fellow Field Engineers ,

I hope it's ok to ask this question here , I figured a TAB technician would have the most experience with this.

I am being asked to size a barometric relief opening for a building with a very large AHU ( indoor pool facility ). I am guessing that I will use ...

- maximum building static ( vs outdoor )
    - maximum cfm of the supply fan
    - a ? velocity

What would be the maximum velocity I could safely get by with ? I'm just rolling the dice and going with 1000 fpm but I really have no idea. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Post Likes
    My 1st question is WHY a Pressure relief?

that room should have a significant outside air system with an exhaust to match.

Post Likes
    There have been 2 events that involved an exhaust fan failure. An electronic interlock will also be installed but they are also asking for the mechanical relief.

Post Likes
    They need powered exhaust especially if they have adjoining areas where high humidity can cause problems. They should be using an air handler designed for conditioning swimming pool enclosures.
    Not trying to avoid your question but if it doesn't work and probably won't they will blame you and if they have water damage they will probably want you to pay to fix it.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    What make and model of equipment is in this Pool Room?

Post Likes
    Is the pool equipment 100% outside air type or a water re-cycle heat pump system?
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by tech45 View Post
    There have been 2 events that involved an exhaust fan failure. An electronic interlock will also be installed but they are also asking for the mechanical relief.
    Maybe you could talk them into a back-up exhaust fan. I would think sizing for 1000 fpm would be okay. You would want to look at how much pressure loss the hood or louver would have at your total flow. That would pretty much be what the building pressure would be with no other influences. No insect screen...

Post Likes
    100 percent OA.

Innovent , 20 plus hp motors. I don't have a specific model number at this moment. And I'm not clear on why the exhaust fan failure did not stop the unit , I have not dug into this job yet. Innovent has good documentation and support from my experience so I'm just not real concerned about the machine at this point in time.

But I can tell you that I will be sizing a mechanical relief duct / damper per the direction of the building owner ( regardless of anything else that is discovered ). Apparently the over - pressure issues caused damage to some roofing or something .

Post Likes
    Add this to the mix, the room air temp is supposed to be 2*F warmer than the water temp. So air exchange is critical.