Thread: Clean screen ?

Post Likes

Clean screen ?

Its been awhile but I saw a service bulletin saying before replacing a txv to clean the screen first. How does this come out ? The picture showed the brass ended barrel screen but never stated how to get it out. Gotta love non nitrogen brazers. I dont think it does. But Id like to be wrong.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    It should slide straight out towards you. They are usually a tight fit so expect to have to work it out a bit.

The mesh is a sock with a brass lip around the one side. If you look at the picture closely you can actually see the lip sitting on the edge of the brass fitting. You could probably use a blade to get under that lip and gently work at it until you can get a safer tool under it to finish pulling it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    zoom in, the top arrow is the lip of the strainer, the bottom line W/ arrow is the seam you could probably get a blade under.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quickly, I must hurry, for there go my people and I am their leader!

Post Likes
    if you cant get it clean , or scratch the mating surface , you can buy a new screen

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    if you cant get it clean , or scratch the mating surface , you can buy a new screen
    Or to hell w/ that little screen and put a LLFD in at the AHU.

6. Likes thatguy, CircusEnvy liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Or leave it out and install a filter drier

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    Or to hell w/ that little screen and put a LLFD in at the AHU.
    right on

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    Or leave it out and install a filter drier
    First I got to get it out. Then see if it will still seal without it or it’s pointless. Thought about just driving a pocket screwdriver thru it and do the drier but anything on the screen or broken wires from screen will still get to txv

Post Likes
    Pull it out, remove the screen and reinstall if necessary.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by actech2 View Post
    First I got to get it out. Then see if it will still seal without it or it’s pointless. Thought about just driving a pocket screwdriver thru it and do the drier but anything on the screen or broken wires from screen will still get to txv
    I’ve done it in a pinch. Just one of those jobs you get buried in, ended up with the same symptoms of a restricted TXV after replacing it. Punched a hole in the strainer, it worked for me.
    Everything Im going to say today are my conclusions and my opinions, my opinions are based on my education, my training, my experience. Different people have different experiences, so they have different opinions and I make no claim that my opinion has its origin in the mind greatness. - Paul Harrell

Post Likes
    They must have globbed it up with solder then. It should fall right out.

Post Likes
    I hate those screens. I have also punched then out with a screwdriver. I would rather have sediment pass through the txv and end up in the compressor sump than gum up in a screen. I think the screen would be helpful in keeping a solder BB or something from plugging the txv but most of the grim in those screens just looks like it would go straight through the txv no problem.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."