Thread: leak detector question

Post Likes

leak detector question

i have a r22 system and it is not cooling anymore i tested the low and high side and it is low on r22 so i tried bubbles and can't see any leaks. i know it i leaking somewhere. so what do you thinks of the snap on TIF 5500 Pump Style Automatic Halogen Leak Detector to try an find this leak. i did a bunch of research on most you see on amazon and they have poor reviews. but i can't find anything on this one yet. so maybe some folks on this site have or are still using this one and can shed some light on how it works for finding the leaks.

thanks

Post Likes
    Why are you trying to DIY. This is not a site for that. Small leaks are usually in the evaporator coil and caused by formicary corrosion. Being R22, probably time to consider a new system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corvairbob View Post
    i have a r22 system and it is not cooling anymore i tested the low and high side and it is low on r22 so i tried bubbles and can't see any leaks. i know it i leaking somewhere. so what do you thinks of the snap on TIF 5500 Pump Style Automatic Halogen Leak Detector to try an find this leak. i did a bunch of research on most you see on amazon and they have poor reviews. but i can't find anything on this one yet. so maybe some folks on this site have or are still using this one and can shed some light on how it works for finding the leaks.

thanks
    Experience and practice find leaks. I have a buddy who has a very good leak detector and he said if it was a drug dog it would walk right by a semi truck load of meth. Point being he can't find a leak and he blames it on the detector. You need a good experienced tech to find a leak. I would be the first to admit that I after 4 years of trying I am still not very good at it.
    If you want a leak found your going to need to pay someone.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    If you find the leak are you going to remove the remaining refrigerant and repair it? Are you going to order a new coil and install it? Do you have the tools, training, and epa certification required?

5. Likes YOUNG FROSTY liked this post.
    Dislikes YOUNG FROSTY disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ksefan View Post
    If you find the leak are you going to remove the remaining refrigerant and repair it? Are you going to order a new coil and install it? Do you have the tools, training, and epa certification required?
    Not only that but is he correct it is low on refrigerant. Did he measure superheat and subcooling.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes

leak detector question

The guys have given you excellent advice. Finding a leak is half art and half science , if it’s even a leak you have. You are much better off spending your money on finding out the true condition of your unit via a pro. Per site rules against DIY; thread closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by newoldtech; 09-16-2020 at 04:58 PM.

8. Likes ksefan liked this post.