Thread: Fresh air ventilation turned off... should I be concerned?

Post Likes

Fresh air ventilation turned off... should I be concerned?

Hi all, I'm a homeowner and new to the forum. i'm coming to you from smoky Oregon. Within my home, I have a Honeywell fresh air ventilation system. This is normally turned on to pull in fresh air throughout the day. With the smoky conditions we're currently experiencing, I've been informed this should be turned to OFF to prevent pulling in smoke particles, and once the air quality improves, return it back to the ON position.

The question I have is, if by having this fresh air intake disabled, and just relying on my central air to pull recirculate the air in the home, is there any reason for me to be concerned about oxygen levels dropping, or carbon dioxide levels rising? If so, should we enable the fresh air intake for a short time each day, despite the smoke, to bring oxygen into the home?

Post Likes
    You have two or three sources of fresh air. Natural infiltration of outside fresh occurs when the wind blows or house air is warmer or colder than outside air. Also when exhaust equipment operates, air blown out of your home by a fan. This would be clothes drier, kitchen hood, or bath fans. All of these sources suck in fresh air radomly through the imperfections of the home unfiltered.
    Most mechanical fresh air systems have an air filters that remove objectionable materials, even smoke with the right filters.
    The important point here is inside is always outside air plus what we add or remove from air once in our home. Most important you are not adding oxygen and must have enough air change keep you alive.
    If you added a charcoal filter, you could remove the gases in the air, a Heppa filter would remove the small particles of smoke.
    In most cases you are better of ventilating than not even without the special filters for the new oxygen and the purging of indoor pollutants that you add in your home.
    Check out Grainger for special filters for long term problems.

Keep us posted on what you do and how it works out.

Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"