Thread: Lifting parts to the roof

Post Likes

Lifting parts to the roof

Young millennial jokes or not, lifting 70#+ compressors to the roof with a rope is old. Where I used to work we had a small ladder crane, basically a winch and cable. What does everyone else like to do? It’s only going to take 1 time to be permanently hurt or be worn out by the time retirement comes around. Thoughts?
    “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Post Likes
    They're expensive, but we use a Bocker Toplift for our solar installations.

I'm too new to post links so you'll have to google it. It's a German company and I believe we ordered our unit from NABocker, which is a North American distributor out of NC.

Post Likes
    I have the ladder hoist/crane, it works well. I have also rented a hand crank high lift all aluminum, put a pallet on it and load your compressor, torches and vacuum pump, saved a lot of up and down.....and saved the back.
    "He who knows the least, knows it the loudest"
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

Post Likes
    If it is too heavy I call a crane to lift it on and the old one down. If the roof is not too high and the compressor is small all you need is a truck with a small HIAB crane mounted on it. You won't get much sympathy from a customer or employer if you hurt yourself and destroy your means of making a living.

5. Likes BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Where I am now there were no guidelines for the techs on weight limits. At my last job, yes, the ladder crane was a very useful tool that I bought for myself, to save my back. But the vast majority of stuff was smaller refrigeration in one story buildings, or accessible by elevators or ramps. So, I had to come up with some guidelines. Here they are:

Up to 75 pounds, one man. From there up to 125 pounds, two men. Over that, get a crane.

When roping a compressor up to the roof that is getting up near the 75 pound range, I request a second man, even if it's not 75 pounds. The idea goes like this:

"I'm the senior tech, you want me to get hurt? I'm gettin' to be an ol' man now. Do you really want to pay top dollar to clean out my truck just to pick up a compressor, then return it, when you will be money ahead if you have a low level tech spend that time and do that leg work? Besides, that low level tech can braze the stubs in the old compressor, getting valuable experience for the future."

Haven't had an argument from the owners or dispatcher yet. They see the wisdom in my ways.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    The small CompLift. Its great for roof hatches and stuff. At up to 600lbs, its good for the 10-20 horse blower motors that just have to make it up one switchback to get out on the roof. I have a couple of 1/4 ton chain falls just for it, including one with a ridiculously long chain for roof hatches.

Anything bigger we got all kinds of heavy duty shit at the office. I'll have the parts runner bring that stuff in the flat bed, just loading a Wallace gantry takes half the morning, and won't fit in a van.

8. Likes BBeerme liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Great ideas! Thanks! Can you post the ladder crane/hoist name? I can’t seem to find one on the old search engine and really want to send it to my safety manager
    “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”

Post Likes
    The one I bought is the LEGRANDE ENTERPRISES LADDER CRANE. Laddercrane.com has a nice 110v one.
    "He who knows the least, knows it the loudest"
    I'm not young enough, to know everything...

Post Likes
    When I was doing apartment buildings this spring I would load as much as I could into a bookbag and carry it on my back. Tools, supplies, whatever. I'm scared of heights and I was new to the line of work so to me, climbing 2.5 stories up an extension ladder lugging a vacuum pump in one hand was just simply not an option for me, I had to find another way. Eventually I was able to overcome my nervousness but I was still extremely cautious moving unbalanced, heavy weights up and down that ladder. I took my sweet ass time. Now I have an actual tool bag so all my tools are on my back in a bag designed for that weight. I don't climb on roofs much anymore.

Post Likes
    I don't carry (much of) anything up ladders anymore. I have three ropes. One trip up the ladder gets four loads on the roof; one rope is long enough to tie something on each end, and carry the middle to the top.

Quote Originally Posted by YOUNG FROSTY View Post
    When I was doing apartment buildings this spring I would load as much as I could into a bookbag and carry it on my back. Tools, supplies, whatever. I'm scared of heights and I was new to the line of work so to me, climbing 2.5 stories up an extension ladder lugging a vacuum pump in one hand was just simply not an option for me, I had to find another way. Eventually I was able to overcome my nervousness but I was still extremely cautious moving unbalanced, heavy weights up and down that ladder. I took my sweet ass time. Now I have an actual tool bag so all my tools are on my back in a bag designed for that weight. I don't climb on roofs much anymore.

Post Likes
    BBBeerme - do you haul up the goods hand over hand?

Post Likes
    I use ropes. So all hands are on the rungs of the ladder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Thermo View Post
    BBBeerme - do you haul up the goods hand over hand?