Thread: Mini Split Condensation issue

Post Likes

Mini Split Condensation issue

Was called to service a couple of mini splits on a golf course, but one of the units has been leaking water for weeks which has caused a lot of water damage. I unclogged the drain line and confirmed a steady flow of water coming out from drain pipe. They have called back once again for the same issue on the same unit, condensation problems from the unit and now water is even coming from under the wall. Most of the water leaks from behind the unit inside the wall, but still can’t pin point the problem, I would appreciate the help.
    It is an older mitsubishi Mr.Slim.

2. Likes ChuckDe liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ByanGomez View Post
    condensation problems from the unit and now water is even coming from under the wall.
    Under the wall is hard to imagine, or you meant behind the interior wall?
    Most of the water leaks from behind the unit inside the wall,
    Inside between the two walls? or behind the interior wall?

1) The unit has a 14" long drain tube; is it long enough to protrude out the exterior wall, or it was spliced with a long hose within the walls?
    2) How low is the exterior wall hole compared to the interior wall hole? any trap within the drain hose running from the unit to outside wall?
    3) The rain hose is on the right side of the unit viewed from front as shipped from new, or it was switched to the left? IF was switched to the left then maybe it was not connected properly, or the drain plug was not fully in on the right side after the switch, causing the leak.
    4) what is the distance from the wall center 3" hole to the metal mounting plate reference mark? and what is the installation spec for this distance?

Post Likes
    Flexible drain tube may have cracked behind the wall. Sounds like you likely need to pull the head off the wall to troubleshoot.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    Flexible drain tube may have cracked behind the wall. Sounds like you likely need to pull the head off the wall to troubleshoot.
    The factory 14" long drain tube has a thick continuous insulator, and so I think it's unlikely has a leak within. More likely at its connection at both ends.
    It also could be the line set insulator was ripped off within the wall during pulling, allowing condensation and water leaking.

Post Likes
    It is an older mitsubishi Mr.Slim.
    For those looking at installation issues.

Post Likes
    the "regular" drain pipes (frequently included in the "installation kit") are of bad quality. I mean these "rippled" plastic ones. They tend to crack over time especially when bent or exposed to UV. Better use regular PVC piping. Or transparent PVC hoses, the ones with thick walls (however they tend to kink when bent).

don't use these: https://www.amazon.com/MyLifeUNIT-Un.../dp/B07BHHRM24

(get at least one with double lining).

Post Likes
    Mitsubishi has a 14” drain hose and this is long enough to protrude out of the exterior wall. So the long extension hose is outside the walls.

Post Likes
    I’m not sure how you cleared the drain on the original call, but one trick we learned is to use a shop vac on the outlet of the pipe and suck the drain clean. Works every time.

Also, I’ve seen three cases this Summer alone where the refrigerant pipe insulation behind the indoor unit had come apart or was not properly put together in the first place and the condensation from the exposed pipes caused water damage inside.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals... He wouldn't have made them out of MEAT.