Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Used service vans?

Post Likes
    I am a Michelin guy. I just got new load range e defenders on my truck. I love that I never trigger the abs or hydroplane in wet weather. All my cars get defenders if I can even remotely afford them.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RLJN View Post

I only travel about 3000 miles a year, real small town scenario one man shop here doing 3 trades.
    I drive up to 200 miles a day. Usually not less that 100 miles a day.
    I am moving in to town and I expect to save enough on gas to pay my mortgage.

Post Likes
    My Ford 450 is rated at 14,500lbs.(I'm a tad above that!) V10,auto trans,6 speed(?) W/a 15' box. I get almost double the mileage on Michelins but they always had "bellies" which is something the DOT guys look for. This year the Michelins have much stronger sidewalls and that means no more bellies.

4. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I think it is funny that some people consider 150000 miles high mileage because I have never owned a vehicle with less than 200000 miles.

Mileage is relative. Are you running an hour in between calls or 10 minutes? Are you sitting in traffic for hours everyday or not at all? Was the van driven by a one man shop who took meticulous care of the vehicle or by Joe the tech who beat the piss out of the van because he just didn't care?
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?

6. Likes R600a, ga-hvac-tech, BALloyd liked this post.
    Post Likes
    LOL! KARMA strikes again! I had a guy working for me, he liked to shift from forward to reverse while the vehicle is still rolling in forward and from R to F while still rolling in R. I warned him once, then I let him go. This was a year ago or so. This past week he(family/friend) called looking for a loan to fix his car which needed a tranny.( LOL a frigging LOT) For $5500.00. Sorry Charlie,no can do! He went to a bank.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Mileage is relative. Are you running an hour in between calls or 10 minutes? Are you sitting in traffic for hours everyday or not at all? Was the van driven by a one man shop who took meticulous care of the vehicle or by Joe the tech who beat the piss out of the van because he just didn't care?
    X2.....an hour meter would be a more accurate representation of how much wear was on the motor.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    LOL! KARMA strikes again! I had a guy working for me, he liked to shift from forward to reverse while the vehicle is still rolling in forward and from R to F while still rolling in R. I warned him once, then I let him go. This was a year ago or so. This past week he(family/friend) called looking for a loan to fix his car which needed a tranny.( LOL a frigging LOT) For $5500.00. Sorry Charlie,no can do! He went to a bank.
    I got a bridge for sale in Brooklyn, it’s only 5 mil down and 20% Of tolls for 20 years! Btw shhhhhhhh! The workers there wasn’t told about it so if they get mad when you collect expect hostility...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BALloyd View Post
    X2.....an hour meter would be a more accurate representation of how much wear was on the motor.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
    I don't really believe that idle time wears engines any appreciable amount.
    I have seen some tear downs of cop cars with the "equivalent" many hundreds of thousands of miles and they looked and measured pretty close to new. Compare that to an old Granny's car that was putted to church a mile down the street for decades and only has 50000 miles on it and I will take the high mileage high idle time one any day.

Last edited by R600a; 09-21-2020 at 11:10 PM.

Post Likes
    At least you know you can fix the AC when it goes bust.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    I don't really believe that idle time wears engines any appreciable amount.
    I have seen some tear downs of cop cars with the "equivalent" many hundreds of thousands of miles and they looked and measured pretty close to new. Compare that to an old Granny's car that was putted to church a mile down the street for decades and only has 50000 miles on it and I will take the high mileage high idle time one any day.

I agree with you on the wear patterns...

IMO the key is getting the engine totally warmed up... that means OIL temperature up to full operating range (which usually takes 20-30 minutes of driving).

Getting the oil up to temp... burns out the impurities in the oil... thus it lubricates better... and the innards of the engine last longer.

In aviation... one is not cleared to take off... until oil temp is up to range...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *Cheap is not good, good is not cheap; however expensive is not a guarantee of quality!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

13. Likes R600a liked this post.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345