Thread: My experience writing and PASSING the C of Q 313A (Ontario, Canada.)

Post Likes

My experience writing and PASSING the C of Q 313A (Ontario, Canada.)

For those who dont know this is our highest level of air conditioning and refrigeration. I did my last block of schooling in March. Exams were cancelled due to Covid. Finally they resumed of course everyone has to be masked up. I got word on August 26, phone right away booked for September 2nd. Reviewed every night. Now test time. After we were scanned for covid we were seating in our designated spots. I had the pink booklet. I began absolutely FLYING through the first 30 some questions were straight out of my practice tests. Then BOOM dead stop every question was taking me about 5-10 min and the test got difficult. Two answers are VERY similar and the other two you can pretty much cancel out on every question. As far as the similar answers, obviously go with the “safest” one. Meaning which ever has more safety protocols involved. I walked out of there thinking I bombed it tbh. Couldnt sleep for a week refreshing every morning at 4AM when they do it. Finally 9 days later my status changed to journeyperson!!! 78% woohoo! Goodluck to anyone going through the 5 year apprenticeship via college of trades they are a nightmare thank god ministry will be taking over soon.

2. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Congrats!!! Now you will be in the school of hard knocks for the rest of your life and still get a good ass kicking every now and then. But I think that's what I love about the job. Any job that can kick your ass every now and then is a job that isn't going to be boring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

4. Likes R600a, ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Post some of the questions here and let the guys have a crack at them.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

6. Likes R600a, JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Will do see below soon

Post Likes
    Multiplex system; two compressors one is full of oil almost double the other empty why?
    How many pipes can fit through a 4x22 opening with 5/8 pipe, 1/2 insulation, 1 inch space in between pipes?
    Where do you put the freeze stat in a make up air unit?
    What is the best refrigerant for a holding charge and to what pressure
    What do you pressure test a pneumatic system too
    How far down the duct is the discharge air sensor on a make up air

Post Likes
    Where do you put the EPR on a multi temp system
    Where do you put your micron gauge in the system
    How do you find a ammonia leak
    What is the purpose of a CPR valve
    Can you have a CPR & EPR on same system
    What affect will non condensables or flash gashave on the TXV Over time

Post Likes
    After I drink at least all of these I will attempt to answer a few of those

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    Congratulations. I have no answers for any of those questions. Well done.

12. Likes JayMan7 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I'd like to know the answer to that last one because I have been wondering lately.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk

Post Likes
    The correct test answer is that the seat will wear and cause issues. The TXV wants to see 100% liquid 100% of the time

15. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Congrats Phil. Nova Scotia HVAC/R Red Seal here. They have reconfigured the tests for new techs. New format for HVAC/R in Canada now. Our instructor was one of many across Canada involved in making up the new C of Q exam questions in Ottawa a few years back. It was a few years in the making and seems as though they get great joy in using questions that can set many up for failure. The electrical print of the gas burning rooftop unit we had was of such a poor quality a magnifying glass was needed to make the damn thing out! Thank goodness those days are over! Great job Phil and let the journey begin

17. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrussell View Post
    Congrats Phil. Nova Scotia HVAC/R Red Seal here. They have reconfigured the tests for new techs. New format for HVAC/R in Canada now. Our instructor was one of many across Canada involved in making up the new C of Q exam questions in Ottawa a few years back. It was a few years in the making and seems as though they get great joy in using questions that can set many up for failure. The electrical print of the gas burning rooftop unit we had was of such a poor quality a magnifying glass was needed to make the damn thing out! Thank goodness those days are over! Great job Phil and let the journey begin
    Lol....my IP had 5 questions on ice rink construction...something maybe less than 1% of guys would actually have any experience at as an apprentice. Good thing our instructor gave us a refresher on such things since he knew those types of questions had been asked previously.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk