+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loadcalc.net needs some input

Post Likes

Loadcalc.net needs some input

I've been working on a full blown online room by room load calculation & am looking for some critique & ideas for any features that might be added .
    It will be virtually the same as the Whole house program but with a choice to do either Block load or room by room.
    It will use cookies which depending on your browser settings will allow you to save your data for up to a week.
    I've only got five rooms done for now but I plan to make it where you can have up to 20 rooms with a basement.
    I'd really appreciate any feedback if anyone wants to try it out at: https://loadcalc.net/roombyroom/
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

2. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    I took a look and I will have to try it out later. Looks nice. I was just this summer thinking that it would be nice if it did room by room.
    Thank you for your work.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

4. Likes ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I've had a quite few requests for doing room by room loads so I started giving it some thought. The whole idea from the beginning was to make something quick & easy that would fit on one page & yet still be professionally accurate. After giving it some thought I figured I could still keep it that way & just give the user a choice of whether to do a simple whole house block load or a more involved room by room load.
    I've been trying to decide if 20 rooms max would be enough. I don't remember doing any houses with over 20 rooms which would include bathrooms & closets but I could always add more if there is a need.
    I'm also trying to see if there are any features I could add that might be helpful assuming I have the capabilities to do them.
    Gary
    -----------

6. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Hey Garyed, How come it won't let me go past five rooms on the room by room load calc?

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    Hey Garyed, How come it won't let me go past five rooms on the room by room load calc?
    He stated above that he only has it up to 5 rooms.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinster View Post
    I'm still in the planning stages so i didn't want to put up any more rooms until I get everything working the way I want it to. I've only got five rooms loaded up for now but I'll probably add more rooms next week. I'm really just trying to get some feedback now to see if there's anything else I need to add besides the rooms.
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    cool thanks, I thought it was me

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    I'm still in the planning stages so i didn't want to put up any more rooms until I get everything working the way I want it to. I've only got five rooms loaded up for now but I'll probably add more rooms next week. I'm really just trying to get some feedback now to see if there's anything else I need to add besides the rooms.
    Add
    1. Air flow rates are blank.
    2. Low-E windows that have lower SHG and U-factor ( < 0.26) than is currently set-up for selection
    3. Significantly LOWER infiltration and ventilation amounts combined to reflect ASHTR 62.2 - 2013
    ___________ 0.03 * A + 7.5 ( n.br+1)

Examples & specifics to be provided later via e-mail.

All other items seem to be fine.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Dan, I was hoping you would reply to see if you had any ideas for me. Thanks for the input & I'll try to address them.

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    Add
    If you're talking about the CFM selection then I intentionally left it blank so the user can input the CFM based on the equipment selection. Most of us assume between 350 to 400 CFM per ton but until a Manual S is performed using equipment specs, it's still just a guess as what the total CFM will really be.
    2. Low-E windows that have lower SHG and U-factor ( < 0.26) than is currently set-up for selection
    That's a great idea but I don't know where to get all the specs I need to add them. The lowest U-factor I have in my book for Low-E is 0.40
    3. Significantly LOWER infiltration and ventilation amounts combined to reflect ASHTR 62.2 - 2013
    The formula I'm using for fresh air ventilation is CFM=(cubic ft. * 0.35/60) - (infiltration CFM)

Anyways I've run into a snag with the room by room for now & I'm trying to figure a way around it.
    The problem I didn't allow for was the browser's capability to store enough cookies to keep your work when you keep adding rooms.
    Most browser's have a limitation that will not allow all the data entered into more than a few rooms to be stored. I can store them on my server but the time limitation would not be practical.
    I store the data on the Whole house Loadcalc on my server for about 20 or so minutes from the last calculation but I wanted to give the user an opportunity to store the room by room for a week or more.
    That would be best if the data entered stayed on the users computer so I'm trying to figure a work around. Again, thanks for all the input
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    Dan, I was hoping you would reply to see if you had any ideas for me. Thanks for the input & I'll try to address them.

If you're talking about the CFM selection then I intentionally left it blank so the user can input the CFM based on the equipment selection. Most of us assume between 350 to 400 CFM per ton but until a Manual S is performed using equipment specs, it's still just a guess as what the total CFM will really be.

That's a great idea but I don't know where to get all the specs I need to add them. The lowest U-factor I have in my book for Low-E is 0.40

The formula I'm using for fresh air ventilation is CFM=(cubic ft. * 0.35/60) - (infiltration CFM)

Anyways I've run into a snag with the room by room for now & I'm trying to figure a way around it.
    The problem I didn't allow for was the browser's capability to store enough cookies to keep your work when you keep adding rooms.
    Most browser's have a limitation that will not allow all the data entered into more than a few rooms to be stored. I can store them on my server but the time limitation would not be practical.
    I store the data on the Whole house Loadcalc on my server for about 20 or so minutes from the last calculation but I wanted to give the user an opportunity to store the room by room for a week or more.
    That would be best if the data entered stayed on the users computer so I'm trying to figure a work around. Again, thanks for all the input
    Data on ANDERSON RENEWAL ... as low as 0.17 S.H.G.C.
    _______________ ______ LOW-E4

https://www.renewalbyandersen.com/wi.../options/glass

https://awwebcdnprdcd.azureedge.net/...-400series.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Data on ANDERSON RENEWAL ... as low as 0.17 S.H.G.C.
    _______________ ______ LOW-E4
    Thanks, I copied their window chart & I'll see if I can work it in later. I'll probably just pick one or two windows around the 0.27 range & give an option for something like extra-Low-E.
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes

Energy Conservation Codes Driven by IECC

Thanks, I copied their window chart & I'll see if I can work it in later.

I'll probably just pick one or two windows around the 0.27 range
    & give an option for something like extra-Low-E.
    SHGC MID 0.20's is mandated by IECC Table R402.1.2 in Climate Zones 1, 2 & 3 for the PRESCRIPTIVE Method
    ~ 0.27 is what I see everyday in FL NEW construction .

_ S.H.G.C.< 0.22 will likely not be that common
    _However, it is highly likely to be used by those designing for HIGH PERFORMANCE, Solar PV sourced residences
    ______ or Net Zero Buildings in the coming decade.

+ there are those Quite Extravagant homes where the Glass-to-Floor area ratios
    are > 18% to < 35%.

[ Example: one 2019 SW FL project: 2,000 square feet of glass & 4,600 square foot floor area ].

Light Transmittance (LT) at < 0.40 is not my idea of a " well lite" environment
    in traditional style home designs.

Post Likes
    All these load calcs are based on the peak heating and cooling.
    That is important, but what about the more common time during the 3 mild seasons of the year in green grass climates where the sensible cooling load is minimum yet the latent load is mid to high plus the latent from the occupants. Fresh air should be calculated at fresh air change in 3 hours which is recommended by ASHRAE. The fresh air ventilation is recommended by many codes to purge indoor air pollutants and renew oxygen.
    A/c is unable to maintain 50%RH during the evenings and rainy days.

The home will be damp unless a supplemental dehumidification is added to be able to remove the peak latent load during evenings and rainy days.
    Multi-speed a/c will not fix this basic problem.
    Go figure!
    Regards Teddy Bear
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    I've had a quite few requests for doing room by room loads so I started giving it some thought. The whole idea from the beginning was to make something quick & easy that would fit on one page & yet still be professionally accurate. After giving it some thought I figured I could still keep it that way & just give the user a choice of whether to do a simple whole house block load or a more involved room by room load.
    I've been trying to decide if 20 rooms max would be enough.

I don't remember doing any houses with over 20 rooms which would include bathrooms & closets but I could always add more if there is a need.

I'm also trying to see if there are any features I could add that might be helpful assuming I have the capabilities to do them.
    10 rooms / areas PER FLOOR would be adequate.

Calculation can be performed once per floor.

_ Bath Rooms /Closets / Hallways < 45 square feet can be combined with other areas.
    _ Interior spaces frequently result in < 0.20 CFM / square foot

Infiltration and Ventilation per ASHRAE Std 62.2 -2013

Example of multi-room [ qty. 2 / 1 per floor] attached

------ 2 FLOORS at 1,200 Sq Feet Each.
    ____ ~ 1,200 Sq Foot / Ton

There are house with well over 20 rooms.
    However, they are >> 3,500 square feet.

~ 200 areas in the local CASTLE / 34,000 { not a typo} square feet that I worked on in 2019.
    ~ 320 windows. YES, it took a while to model.

14 A/C Systems

18. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Years ago... I was asked by a realtor to service all the AC's on a 10K ft house...
    House had 6x Trane VS systems... took the better part of the day to check them all out...

I am not sure what these folks build mansions like that for...
    Other than 'because they can'...
    My pool is nicer (and larger) than the one at that mansion.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

20. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    10 rooms / areas PER FLOOR would be adequate.

Calculation can be performed once per floor.

_ Bath Rooms /Closets / Hallways < 45 square feet can be combined with other areas.
    _ Interior spaces frequently result in < 0.20 CFM / square foot

Infiltration and Ventilation per ASHRAE Std 62.2 -2013

Example of multi-room [ qty. 2 / 1 per floor] attached

------ 2 FLOORS at 1,200 Sq Feet Each.
    ____ ~ 1,200 Sq Foot / Ton

There are house with well over 20 rooms.
    However, they are >> 3,500 square feet.

~ 200 areas in the local CASTLE / 34,000 { not a typo} square feet that I worked on in 2019.
    ~ 320 windows. YES, it took a while to model.

14 A/C Systems
    On the coding side, it's really not that much more work to do 30 rooms than to do 2 rooms but it's the data limitations that are the problems. I've already tried the Loadcalc with 20 rooms & it will not work because none of the web browsers like Firefox, Chrome etc.. will let you store that much data in all those rooms. Just using two rooms for upstairs & downstairs should work fine but I'd like to offer more especially since I've already got most of the work done. I think I've come up with a solution that would work & it would allow you to keep your work for 24 hrs. It will be a little while before I can get it up & running. I do need to go over the ventilation stuff too but I'm not sure I understand it correctly.
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    Add

I just added an Ultra - Low E selection for Windows using U-Value 0.27 & SHGC of 0.35 I might just add a few different lower U-Values later but I don't want to overdo it by giving too many choices.
    Gary
    -----------

Post Likes
    I just added an Ultra - Low E selection for Windows using U-Value 0.27 & SHGC of 0.35 I might just add a few different lower U-Values later but I don't want to overdo it by giving too many choices.
    Example
    Comparison of what might be A TYPICAL construction in the last decade or so.

Ultra - Low E = Low e3 actually / ... There is a Low e4
    ___________ ______________ ___ / ___ SHGC ~ 0.22

_________________________ 256 Square Feet
    ___________________ Windows 6,864 ___ 2,834 BTU/ HR

________________________ 26.8 BTU-Hr/ SF

Attachments

Post Likes

Example
    Comparison of what might be A TYPICAL construction in the last decade or so.
    DOUBLE PANE w/ Blinds Versus Low e3 in previous post
    ___________ _____________

_______________ 256 Square Feet
    _______ Windows 9,024 ___________ 5,983 BTU/ HR

_______________ 35.3 BTU-Hr/ SF

Attachments

Post Likes
    DOUBLE PANE w/ Blinds Versus Low e3 in previous post
    ___________ _____________

_______________ 256 Square Feet
    _______ Windows 9,024 ___________ 5,983 BTU/ HR

_______________ 35.3 BTU-Hr/ SF

Attachments
    Hi Dan,
    That's a good comparison. Adding the U-Value is easy because that is a straight forward formula but adding the SHGC is where the problem comes in. I have to get a different factor for every direction at different TD's to use as a multiplier to come up with the heat gain & I can't find a formula to do it. The lowest chart I can find only goes down to 0.35. Do you have any access to either a chart or a formula that I could use to get those factors from the SHGC to use for each direction? I was thinking about trying to come up with a formula myself using the existing charts I have but I'd rather get something that is already accepted.
    Gary
    -----------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in