+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does part-time work exist?

Post Likes
    You may try looking for a one-man shop that just needs someone occassionally for the heavier work. My son-in-law has a good full-time job but he helps me on the weekends when I am busy.

2. Likes heatingman, Jim1959 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    You hiring right now ?

Post Likes
    Not really looking to hire anyone at this time. Where are you located?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rglasgow View Post
    Not really looking to hire anyone at this time. Where are you located?
    Surprise, AZ

Post Likes
    That will be a long commute to Austin Texas

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=rglasgow;25934467]That will be a long commute to Austin Texas[/QUOTE

For sure, my wife is from Amarillo.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Artrose View Post
    Dear Gen Z er,
    Boomer here.

Please put down your phone for two minutes, and listen up.

You're on your own now. Mom and Dad have turned you out into the big bad world, whether you're prepared, or not.
    If your fabulously rich relatives left you a trust fund, or a large inheritance, you can ignore the rest of what I have to say.

Otherwise.....

Please try to understand that sometimes life is tough, and to get ahead, sometimes you'll need to do a few things you probably won't want to do. Like dedicate yourself to full time employment. This is called life. Welcome.
    If you're looking for part time work, I hear Starbucks is hiring baristas.
    This is a horrible answer to a genuine question from a kid looking for some feedback. Were you not his age once?
    Max Igan - Surviving the Matrix - Episode 357 - American Voice Radio, November 30th, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBhb-gvgTPM

9. Likes Noise Tank, GoCougs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAndyC/R View Post
    This is a horrible answer to a genuine question from a kid looking for some feedback. Were you not his age once?
    I agree. To the OP - of course you could find what you want, but you’re going to have to look at atypical workplaces. The recommendation that you consider facilities jobs was a good one. Hospitals, data centers, universities, and semi conductor manufacturers all have shift work. One I know of works a front half/back half arrangement. 6am to 6pm, or 6pm to 6am. 3 days one week, 4 days the next.

Plenty of time to hit the slopes with that gig.

11. Likes GoCougs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAndyC/R View Post
    Artrose here...... Of course I was his age once, but I grew up.

I realized that to get by, you need to work, and to get ahead, it takes lots of hard work. That's how it works.

I offered a dose of reality, and don't care if someone thinks it was a horrible answer to a genuine question. I tell the truth.

If you're looking for part time work, sure, we occasionally offer opportunities. The pay is generally not so great, and there are no benefits. You get yourself on the list, and when your name comes up, you have the opportunity to work. That's how it works, not the other way around. If you're out playing somewhere, and not available, you miss out.
    These work opportunities allow someone to sample the world they might think they want to step into.

If you want to work on your own terms, go downtown and stand on the day labor corner with the rest of the folks out there looking for work.

13. Likes pecmsg liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I worked a schedule similar to what your asking. Mine was sometimes seven days a week. Sunday would be only a call or two.
    My main job was with the utility, for thirteen years I worked after hours and weekends for three have companies doing calls. Lot of hours since I also had to work ot at my primary job. I was able to have a relatively slow summer since I didn’t want to do ac calls. Preferred to be able to have time with family at that time. At times I regret working so many hours and being away from home. It allowed us to build two mountain homes.
    There are always situations that will allow you to fit in.
    Wishing you the best

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieceof_strange View Post
    Looking for advice- I'm a level 1 apprentice. I have a year of experience working with a commerical hvac company and my level 1 refrigeration schooling completed.

In this industry, does part time work exist? Or is it possible to work 40 hours a week, without being doomed to the Monday-Friday schedule? I would be a lot happier in life if I could work weekends, and take 2 days off during the week instead.

Also, I would be happy to work long hours (10-12 hour days) if it meant that I get to take more days off during the week.

I only want this kind of schedule in the winter time, so I can ski. Skiing is a priority for me, and if I can work a job that allows me to have more flexibility in the winters, I would be a lot happier and more devoted to my job. Working normal & extra hours in fall, summer, and spring are not an issue for me. It's just winter that I need to have that flexibility with.

I chose this career path, and it doesn't mesh with my needs. I am trying to create a healthy work/play balance. I tried the Monday-Friday schedule last winter and I was absolutely miserable, and it was very depressing. I need to find a way to make this work. Is this possible in any area of the trade? Is this easier to do in supermarket refrigeration, ammonia plants, or any other specific areas of the trade?

I am willing to get the right training and do what it takes to achieve the lifestyle I am after.

I appreciate any advice! Thank you in advance

I would hire you in Austin. We slow down in the winter anyway. And i could keep you busy in the summer with how ever many hours you wanted. I let the guys work as little or much as they want. There's no use beating yourself up its a demanding field.
    when life throws me a banjo, i play it

16. Likes Pieceof_strange liked this post.
    Post Likes
    From my measly 20 years around HVAC contracting companies(previously hospital HVAC and comm maintenance) here in Tampa Bay area there is not any part time because they don't want to accommodate it, it doesn't fit in their equation. Partly because they have so many issues trying to keep track of their full time guys and partly they want total control over you so you conform to the pigeon hole they need you in. Their mission is to whip you like a race horse to get every dollar possible out of the market and match you to the "right" accounts. Anything less is unacceptable. As previously stated this is not the trade to expect considerations of any kind. I am 65 and watched the HVAC industry sour over last 40 years to keep the biggest on top. Get a license and try to succeed, the supply house won't even sell certain stuff to you, it's reserved. It's a good trade to learn still for a worker, but not expect deviance from the controlled norm.

18. Likes Pieceof_strange liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I am in Louisiana, I own a business in this trade/ field and its always a struggle in the winter, just like in Oklahoma and Austin, TX. I know a guy here, he always takes the winter off to go hunting during deer season, which is about 3 months total time and he always told the owners what his intentions were. He and I both worked at the same place for about a year and a half, this particular owner told him he couldn't let him take the time because we were to busy, then a week later sent me home because I had made to much money in OT for the year and because of workers comp I couldn't make but another $2000 for the rest of the year, it was October, needless to say, it wasn't a good Christmas, and this guy lost both of us and we both started our business's back up and haven't looked back since. Given that story, it's just how some of these guys(owners) see things, "If they have to work, then you're going to have to, unless you work to much, then I wont be out any money on you and I'll send you home for working to much" it's total bullshit, IMO... But I would definitely put you to work and might even take the family to go skiing for a week or two with you, since you cant really go on a real vacation during the summer. I see an ever changing thing going on with the newer generations and as a business you can either adapt, or not and keep fighting the battle of a loosing game. Just keep this in mind, when a business like mine needs you, we need you, if we negotiate something we will stand by it and expect the same thing in return, it's a give give and a need need.
    "Orange Man RAD!"

20. Likes R600a, Pieceof_strange liked this post.
    Post Likes
    There is a company in St Louis Mo. runs 7 days a week, 7-7 at night. guys work 4 10 hr days then 3 days off. some guys work other forms like 3- 12 hr days. His motto is " he who has the most and best horses wins"
    He has people knocking on his door wanting to come work there. Your desire is not that uncommon with some of today's younger workforce, they want it to be what they want and not necessarily what you want. That fellow has figured out how to acommodate, and use that mindset to his advantage. I met him at an ACCA convention several years ago. Last I knew the company was doin about 15 million a year.

If I could find enough of the right people, I would love to do something like that and dominate this market. He said he found a way to do it when he was at around 7 million, but we're at less than half that number.

Yes sir it does exist

22. Likes R600a, ji603, Pieceof_strange liked this post.
    Post Likes
    my sister has been working part-time for several years, about 35 hours a week, every day in a different way. or every other day. she works as a real estate agent

24. Likes Pieceof_strange liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by deanpearl71 View Post
    my sister has been working part-time for several years, about 35 hours a week, every day in a different way. or every other day. she works as a real estate agent
    Ha. Lmao

Post Likes
    Try telecom. Not part time but it's usually flexible make your own schedule outside of service calls

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in