Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What’s your opinion of N.A.T.E.

Post Likes
    Should not be books. Test should show what a tech knows. Anyone can study a book and take a test, doesn’t mean I want you fixing my stuff. My whole point of this thread. Nate is all about money. Buy books buy a test buy buy. Give homeowners a fake sense of security that they picked the company with Nate techs over one who didn’t spend the money but has more qualified personnel

2. Likes Matt Woodbridge liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Apply for pro membership. Pretty sure you qualify. You'll have more liberties there.

Well worth your time if you are going to take this trade seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by actech2 View Post
    Should not be books. Test should show what a tech knows. Anyone can study a book and take a test, doesn’t mean I want you fixing my stuff. My whole point of this thread. Nate is all about money. Buy books buy a test buy buy. Give homeowners a fake sense of security that they picked the company with Nate techs over one who didn’t spend the money but has more qualified personnel
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Thats my opinion of it as well

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    Apply for pro membership. Pretty sure you qualify. You'll have more liberties there.

I recently picked up pro buddy

Post Likes
    Boo Yaahh !!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Woodbridge View Post
    I recently picked up pro buddy

7. Likes Matt Woodbridge liked this post.
    Post Likes

Guess I will. See if they can decipher the pic of my refrigerant handlers card. It’s from first year of tests a rses crumble. I sealed the plastic window it was in so I have all the pieces. Lol

Post Likes

What about my pro membership?? Do I qualify?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by superheatmaster View Post
    What about my pro membership?? Do I qualify?
    Apply and find out. Nothing to lose but a lot to gain.

Post Likes
    I have "a lot of coin" invested in my books/Library so I disagree to a degree. Reading HVACR Books is pretty darn important to me. It is a Starting Place,for sure.

12. Likes Juan Madera liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Most of the folks I know locally... who got the NATE cert...

Did it ONLY for a sales tool (residential)...
    They said the test was a joke (not near hard enough)
    When it started the major manufacturers were saying they may pay "more" for warranty work with NATE cert companies..
    A bunch of us took all the certs at the time.
    The extra pay did not come through and the NATE cert. went with it.....
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    When it started the major manufacturers were saying they may pay "more" for warranty work with NATE cert companies..
    A bunch of us took all the certs at the time.
    The extra pay did not come through and the NATE cert. went with it.....
    Yeah, there was a lot of talk by manufacturers about how NATE was going to be beneficial to HVAC companies with certified techs. From my point of view it was a lot of word with no action. But NATE is not the only thing manufacturers talked up that didn't hold water in the long run.

I used NATE as a gauge of what I needed to learn, if there was benefit from the certification afterward that was just a bonus.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    I have "a lot of coin" invested in my books/Library so I disagree to a degree. Reading HVACR Books is pretty darn important to me. It is a Starting Place,for sure.
    Does RSES still test. I tested for heat pumps years ago with them. I got a certification and 2 jacket patches.
    Maybe RSES should have been the organization instead of NATE squeezing in. I had a refer book from them that was probably 6" thick.
    Like you, I'll read most anything and also have a library. I realize some people don't have good reading comprehension and won't get the same results. In a tech field that's a disadvantage.
    I can't imagine trying to navigate a tech w/o reading and understanding the information.
    Give me a relay with big enough contacts, and I'll run the world!

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    Does RSES still test. I tested for heat pumps years ago with them. I got a certification and 2 jacket patches.
    Maybe RSES should have been the organization instead of NATE squeezing in. I had a refer book from them that was probably 6" thick.
    Like you, I'll read most anything and also have a library. I realize some people don't have good reading comprehension and won't get the same results. In a tech field that's a disadvantage.
    I can't imagine trying to navigate a tech w/o reading and understanding the information.
    OH for sure RSES still has a bunch of tests available. My RSES SAM binders are 4 1/2'' each ,totalling 9" of knowledge. I have 2 sets of SAMs. One set is still intact,the 2nd set is scattered thru out my Library. The Electrical related SAMs are in my Libraries Electrical section. The SAM Business Chapters are in the Business section, like that!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by TechmanTerry View Post
    OH for sure RSES still has a bunch of tests available. My RSES SAM binders are 4 1/2'' each ,totalling 9" of knowledge. I have 2 sets of SAMs. One set is still intact,the 2nd set is scattered thru out my Library. The Electrical related SAMs are in my Libraries Electrical section. The SAM Business Chapters are in the Business section, like that!
    I've never complaints about RSES like I see about NATE. RSES has been around a long time. Chapters in many cities.
    Maybe a name change would make RSES seem more about the whole industry. Like R&ACSES. Or something. Whoops it kind of looks like ASSES.

If a person wants to create a machine that will be more likely to fail...Make it complicated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacker View Post
    I've never complaints about RSES like I see about NATE. RSES has been around a long time. Chapters in many cities.
    Maybe a name change would make RSES seem more about the whole industry. Like R&ACSES. Or something. Whoops it kind of looks like ASSES.
    LOL!!!!

Post Likes
    Actually, the first thing I saw was RACIST.

20. Likes hvacker liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Now y'all know where my head is....

Post Likes
    In my day RSES was the way to go. Lots of very good manual training plus meetings and workshops with direct factor rep training. We use to have crowds at the meeting/workshops but membership just went down to nothing cause passing the tests were hard. And hard doesn't seem to work for some to many of the service techs coming on board. There was nothing wrong with them except they were raised in an atmosphere of getting rewards for very little work. Then NATE showed up to fill the gap on the scene as a way to make money off of vulnerable tech that wanted and expected to be rewarded for just showing up, which they were. Over the years NATE seems to have gotten better but it's still seems to be more of a market ploy than an education process for techs who want to achieve more in this field.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    I don't think NATE was ever meant to be an education source, which it has started doing. It was an intended standardized accreditation outlet where you could put your knowledge to test and show others you did have the knowledge you claimed.

The problems started when it was discovered through these tests that most did not have the knowledge they had been claiming for years. Think about it, when the test first came out it was the FSR's and lead techs that were taking the tests and failing horribly, under 25% pass rate. If the supposed smartest in the field can't do better than that then maybe the field needs more education. The tests in and of themselves were not that hard. Yes they had some trick questions and the having 2 correct answers with one being more correct than the other was a twist, but shouldn't someone that had been in the field for a number of years known this.

I was frustrated with NATE when they dumbed down the test to make it easier for a better pass rate. My FSR was heavy into NATE and was a test proctor. When I brought this up to him he said they were the same questions. I said sure but there were fewer questions and you only had to pass the group, not the individual modules which made it easier to pass. I asked him if he would want someone work on his system if they got a 99 on everything but a 0 on safety. After he thought about it a short while he agreed.

I guess the thing that NATE has brought out that most of us should be ashamed of is that most are happy thinking they are genius in this field but they have to study to pass a test over what they are trained and work in every day. From what I have seen on this site I am sure most could pass the tests I took with little or no problem, but that is not the norm for techs. I think most here are always looking to better themselves where as the rest of the field is content to not know what they don't know. What is the reason for this divide? Is it personality differences, is it a difference in education, is it poor training, it is greed in being able to get along making as much as possible with the least amount of pain {effort, money, time, etc}. I don't know.

Post Likes
    I know a lot more techs I would trust that cannot pass NATE, than I do ones that have passed it. Tells you all you need to know.

Coming from a NATE certified tech myself.

25. Likes Matt Woodbridge liked this post.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast