Thread: Return Design Change

Post Likes

Return Design Change

1500 sq ft house with 90% carrier 80kbtu and 3.0 ton cases coil. Currently has individual returns throughout the house. To recapture basement height the homeowner would like a central return. The unit is calling for 1200 CFM. Can I make that work with 26 x 8 duct, and a side wall return 20 x 25?

I'm concerned about the noise where return air comes back. And the return air flow - not choking off the air by only using the width of a wall as a return. Thoughts? What additional information is needed.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Im more concerned with 80K and 3-Tons in 1500 Sq Ft.

26 X 8 is a little light

Post Likes
    That 72k btu heat and 36,000 btu cooling will not transfer enough heat to provide comfort to the home owner?
    The return duct has a 16x25 filter which transitions to a 10x25 duct. So I need to keep the 10x25? Can I spread out the returns in one area of the house?

Post Likes
    I think he was saying that sounds like a lot of heat and a lot of cool for not a lot of house.

Granted that are hundreds of factors to account for, but my 3200 sq ft is done with an 80k and 3 ton.

Maybe the house only needs 60k and 2 ton and you can reduce the size of the return and have less to worry about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Great Information, and the equipment is fairly new. Not sure they would go for a new equipment purchase. Is there a way to use what is there and accomplish comfort cooling and heating?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    I think he was saying that sounds like a lot of heat and a lot of cool for not a lot of house.

Granted that are hundreds of factors to account for, but my 3200 sq ft is done with an 80k and 3 ton.

Maybe the house only needs 60k and 2 ton and you can reduce the size of the return and have less to worry about?

You would be very uncomfortable in my area on a typical July/August day with a 3 ton on 3200 ft with a typical house construction. OP do a Manual J then figure what is needed.

Post Likes
    Manual J - Got it. Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by oldguy1949 View Post
    You would be very uncomfortable in my area on a typical July/August day with a 3 ton on 3200 ft with a typical house construction. OP do a Manual J then figure what is needed.
    Hence the hundreds of variables.