+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wire crimps

Post Likes
    Looks like this one will do the closed barrel type. https://www.amazon.com/ProsKit-300-0.../dp/B0045V3CGE

But im sure your after one that will do the open barrel ones.

That’s a rainbow unicorn. Ive been looking for years. Ive settled on a soldering iron for the seldom times I need to make the connections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Looks like this one will do the closed barrel type. https://www.amazon.com/ProsKit-300-0.../dp/B0045V3CGE

But im sure your after one that will do the open barrel ones.

That’s a rainbow unicorn. Ive been looking for years. Ive settled on a soldering iron for the seldom times I need to make the connections.

Yeah, I was really hoping to find an interchangeable jaw crimper with a flag terminal die. I don't need it often but if I'm going to purchase a nice crimping tool like that then I'd like to have it capable of everything I'd normally encounter.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by shellkamp View Post
    Yeah, I was really hoping to find an interchangeable jaw crimper with a flag terminal die. I don't need it often but if I'm going to purchase a nice crimping tool like that then I'd like to have it capable of everything I'd normally encounter.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    I too thought it was a rainbow unicorn for many years, but I was relentless in my search for high quality flag crimper.

For an interchangeable jaw crimper, seek out the Knipex 97 43 200 A. They have an exhaustive amount of dies available. It can be bought as a bare tool or with a case that holds several die heads.
    Their sister company, Rennsteig, are the identical tools but with a different color scheme and numbering system. Their part number is 624 000 3 . There are also listed as the PEW12 series.
    Both are made in Germany and of exceptional quality. I use many different Knipex crimpers and hand tools.

My Rennsteig 624 754 3 crimps flag terminals and open barrel sta-kons. It is the interchangeable tool with the die included. Shop around online, I bought mine from the Amazon.de last April for 66 Euros.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    However, I just checked the listing and it's now 416 eur??? Something is not right there.

Standard burnished finish Part: 624 745 3
    Chrome plated version, Part # is: 624 745 6
    For the die only Part #: 624 745 3 0

The uninsulated flag terminals I use are Tyco 63314-2.
    They are different from most flag terminals because they have a very important characteristic: the dimension between the rolls allows them to fit on the posts of compressor terminals.
    I picked them up from digi-key, the come on a reel and have to be cut-off individually. High quality and inexpensive.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/d...3314-2/1151374

Rennsteig also makes a die specifically for these terminals. The advantage is that is able to crimp 18 awg, not just 14-16 awg.
    Part #: 624 1642 3 0 RT

I hope this was useful to you, let me know if you have any questions. This is something that I had been chasing for a few years to find a resolution too.
    Yes, I realize there are other flag crimpers out there, but I am a bit obsessive about quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

4. Likes Matt Woodbridge, Chuck, Jaris, 1hp liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post
    There is one almost small difference between the Channnellock and HF crimps that would make me pick the HF every time. I know it sounds crazy, but with the uninsulated crimp closest to the pivot, it makes you have to open the jaws really wide to get a wire terminal in there to crimp it. If it's farther from the pivot, as in the HF, then it is considerably easier to crimp uninsulated terminals.
    OK, that's my OCD rant of the day, I feel better now :}
    Arent the channel locks easier? The uninsulated crimp is further from the pivot making you not have to open as wide...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by channellxbob View Post

Now, can anyone tell me a good brand of crimp connectors? A lot of them are just junk that no crimper wil work with.
    Thomas and Betts , 3M

I just ordered terminals from Ebay who claim to be good as 3M ... I will let you know once I receive them

Post Likes
    If you do alot of crimps like for making a control panel or something along those lines, or just want factory quality crimps, you need a ratcheting crimper.

Such as this one :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...05CR/306884697

I love my ratcheting crimper, makes great connections. I’ve always been particular about trying to create reliable crimps after seeing so many terrible field crimps.

8. Likes R600a, HVAC/R 19, heatingman liked this post.
    R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    If you do alot of crimps like for making a control panel or something along those lines, or just want factory quality crimps, you need a ratcheting crimper.

Such as this one :

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...05CR/306884697

Amazon comes through again. $16 with my prime day discount and it arrived on a Sunday just in time for work on Monday! This feels so nice and well made in my hand.
    Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to use it. I already love wiring but now i really want to do a service call on a thrashed unit so that I can do a whole bunch of crimps.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

10. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    Amazon comes through again. $16 with my prime day discount and it arrived on a Sunday just in time for work on Monday! This feels so nice and well made in my hand.
    Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to use it. I already love wiring but now i really want to do a service call on a thrashed unit so that I can do a whole bunch of crimps.

Just heads up. The terminal only goes one way, and I always forget which. So try it both ways, and give the wire a good tug to be sure you did it right.

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Just heads up. The terminal only goes one way, and I always forget which. So try it both ways, and give the wire a good tug to be sure you did it right.

It says in the paperwork that it works both ways and it sure looks like it is symmetrical.

"Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    You like the German tools like myself!

I’m still trying to identify the type of some of the small terminal types on equipment controls that need to be replaced because of severe corrosion issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostGiant View Post
    I too thought it was a rainbow unicorn for many years, but I was relentless in my search for high quality flag crimper.

For an interchangeable jaw crimper, seek out the Knipex 97 43 200 A. They have an exhaustive amount of dies available. It can be bought as a bare tool or with a case that holds several die heads.
    Their sister company, Rennsteig, are the identical tools but with a different color scheme and numbering system. Their part number is 624 000 3 . There are also listed as the PEW12 series.
    Both are made in Germany and of exceptional quality. I use many different Knipex crimpers and hand tools.

My Rennsteig 624 754 3 crimps flag terminals and open barrel sta-kons. It is the interchangeable tool with the die included. Shop around online, I bought mine from the Amazon.de last April for 66 Euros.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    However, I just checked the listing and it's now 416 eur??? Something is not right there.

Standard burnished finish Part: 624 745 3
    Chrome plated version, Part # is: 624 745 6
    For the die only Part #: 624 745 3 0

The uninsulated flag terminals I use are Tyco 63314-2.
    They are different from most flag terminals because they have a very important characteristic: the dimension between the rolls allows them to fit on the posts of compressor terminals.
    I picked them up from digi-key, the come on a reel and have to be cut-off individually. High quality and inexpensive.

https://www.digikey.ca/en/products/d...3314-2/1151374

Rennsteig also makes a die specifically for these terminals. The advantage is that is able to crimp 18 awg, not just 14-16 awg.
    Part #: 624 1642 3 0 RT

I hope this was useful to you, let me know if you have any questions. This is something that I had been chasing for a few years to find a resolution too.
    Yes, I realize there are other flag crimpers out there, but I am a bit obsessive about quality.

Post Likes
    I've looked around as well for those Molex style. The list is exhaustive, there are some many different sizes and styles of those plug connectors.

I'm not sure if there are common to all equipment manufacturers or just Trane / York etc..

Post Likes
    If you need a set of crimper for the small open barrel connectors this Japanese company makes a great set. They are also the company that makes those tools rebranded as Vampliers.

For as much as I use these crumpets this was the best purchase in my opinion.

https://www.engineertools-jp.com/pad02

Crimp set
    https://www.engineertools-jp.com/pad111213

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    It says in the paperwork that it works both ways and it sure looks like it is symmetrical.

Maybe its the other set I have thats not bidirectional.

17. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Might start using crimp on ferrules for stranded control conductors, seems like most industrial controls use them.

Post Likes

The Great PHM Posted this 3 yrs Ago

Poodle Head Mikey said:03-26-2017 05:23 AM

When you are shopping for a crimper - ask for Thomas & Betts.

If you are on a budget - ask for Channelock.

You want a crimper which has a 'pin' to curl in the lips of the connector to grip the wire. A pinching/ crushing type tool makes a piss-poor crimp.

Also: make sure you have the connector in the jaws properly when you crimp the connections. It's not random.

Thanks, PHM!

Post Likes
    klein needle nose strippers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in