+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amp Clamps

Post Likes
    Fluke 376 is my go to. Also have a 902 but the 376 gets me though most of it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lddc View Post
    Fluke 376 is my go to. Also have a 902 but the 376 gets me though most of it.
    Thats a nice one too. But still, no Mega Ohms.
    to check blower/condenser motor resistance you need a digital multi meter.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by AIRCON8 View Post
    Thats a nice one too. But still, no Mega Ohms.
    to check blower/condenser motor resistance you need a digital multi meter.
    I also have a 1587FC for that. Was just talking about amp meters

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lddc View Post
    I also have a 1587FC for that. Was just talking about amp meters
    yes the one that are best for ac works.
    so far FP its the "one do it all"
    with Fluke you need clamp and multimeter both
    more money to invest and more weight in your tool bag.

Post Likes
    yes the one that are best for ac works.
    so far FP its the "one do it all"
    with Fluke you need clamp and multimeter both
    more money to invest and more weight in your tool bag.
    What one meter can check amps AC/DC, has a megger, voltage AC/DC, diodes, capicator, temperature, PI/DAR test, resistance, Milliamps, and more?

Post Likes
    i like my FP 440 SC
    it have everything i need
    recently i sold my Fluke 902 kept it as back up for a while then i decided to sell it

7. Likes Matt Woodbridge liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahrs View Post
    That would be the old non 'FC', which only read to 9999 ohms. The FC will read 60k ohms. If at that point I'm still suspecting an insulation problem, I'm going back to the truck for a megger.

Regardless, your overall point is valid. No one meter will cover all bases. But for one meter to always be in my toolbag that is good for equipment startup or initial diagnosis, the 902FC is it. Of course, just my 2 cents.
    FC 902 not doing Mohms so is useless for motors and compressors
    Follow up on this AC8. You are right, for a tech that wants one single meter for everything, the 902 isn't it.

Was diagnosing a water-water HP that was tripping a breaker. Testing to ground, the 902 showed nothing. But megger said otherwise, 120K ohms.

Now, I'm of the opinion a megger is the better tool for testing insulation resistance, but let's not open that can of worms... For a tech that wants that one amp meter in the bag, I now agree with you, needs Mohms!

Post Likes
    Follow up on this AC8. You are right, for a tech that wants one single meter for everything, the 902 isn't it.

Was diagnosing a water-water HP that was tripping a breaker. Testing to ground, the 902 showed nothing. But megger said otherwise, 120K ohms.

Now, I'm of the opinion a megger is the better tool for testing insulation resistance, but let's not open that can of worms... For a tech that wants that one amp meter in the bag, I now agree with you, needs Mohms!
    I still don't know about that. Just because the megger reads 120K it doesn't mean a DMM would have read 120K. It's always possible the megger only saw that because it was loading the circuit with 500V.

And I'm not afraid to open that can of worms lol A megger is better at testing for shorts to ground. Loaded circuit testing methods outperform non-loaded testing methods. That's just a scientific fact. It's no different than testing a lineset with 1 psi of nitrogen vs 300 psi.

The 902 is all I need 99% of the time. If I don't see a dead short on a compressor then I go get the megger, but most of the time if a compressor is shorted it's a dead short that any meter will read.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

10. Likes heatingman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    i like my FP 440 SC
    it have everything i need
    recently i sold my Fluke 902 kept it as back up for a while then i decided to sell it
    Yes I have one of those, very handy meter for the price

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Post Likes

And don't get me wrong, i still like Fluke, but no Mohms, so you need a 116 at least, and that's start to be another meter to take with you things are getting bulky and heavier, not what i want, especially when i am on the roof of an 18 story building.
    i have FP SC 440 for about a couple of years now, it serve me well and do everything i need. Mohms are a must have, the clamp meter is not big and bulky, it fit in my Veto bag, what else i can possibly want from a meter ??

Post Likes
    And don't get me wrong, i still like Fluke, but no Mohms, so you need a 116 at least, and that's start to be another meter to take with you things are getting bulky and heavier, not what i want, especially when i am on the roof of an 18 story building.
    i have FP SC 440 for about a couple of years now, it serve me well and do everything i need. Mohms are a must have, the clamp meter is not big and bulky, it fit in my Veto bag, what else i can possibly want from a meter ??
    Yeah being up 18 stories changes things for sure. In my case it's usually easy enough to run back to the van and get my 117 or megger!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "I think Quantum tunneling would work great... "

"Call a technician for God's sake. Or we'll see you on the news or the Dark Side of the Moon."

Post Likes
    I have a FP HS36. No problems

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in