+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NJ Pipefitters Residential Service to Commercial Service

Post Likes

NJ Pipefitters Residential Service to Commercial Service

I have been trying to get in with a union shop in NJ and I have an offer from a shop that does residential service. How difficult would it be to go to a shop that does commercial work if I took the job just to get my foot in the door with the union?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Post Likes
    A Union Local concentrating on Residential HVAC?! That is unheard of in this part of the country! Try it out!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dislikes valdelocc disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by djnick1979 View Post
    I have been trying to get in with a union shop in NJ and I have an offer from a shop that does residential service. How difficult would it be to go to a shop that does commercial work if I took the job just to get my foot in the door with the union?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
    Don't do it!!! once you get labeled "residential _______" (fill the blank) is really hard to get out of it and the compensation difference is huge, take your time and get in the right way as commercial-industrial!
    There is not better place for the working men than the union! 100% UA the only HVAC union!

5. Likes dieseldude, GoCougs liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Can you go down south and just by your card and transfer in? I know it's not the ethical thing to do but...... Either that or start working for a big scab company, they tend to like poaching from the competition.

Post Likes
    Do you know of any big scab companies that are hiring?

Post Likes
    Scab as in a person who works despite an ongoing strike?

Post Likes
    Them too, but in the northeast it's just non union in general.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by djnick1979 View Post
    Do you know of any big scab companies that are hiring?
    Nah, I had an exist strategy and left Jersey about 8 years ago and live in free america now

Post Likes
    Have you seen this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Likes
    @hevysrf - Thanks for posting this.

Post Likes
    That’s what’s up. A joint statewide HVACR effort by the Locals in a state. How come many more Locals don’t try this?

Post Likes
    We're very lucky to have this resource, I worked for the gentleman that the school is named after, great guy who sadly passed from cancer too young.
    A company owner who realized the value of a well trained union labor force.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hevysrf View Post
    We're very lucky to have this resource, I worked for the gentleman that the school is named after, great guy who sadly passed from cancer too young.
    A company owner who realized the value of a well trained union labor force.
    Even tho I have never worked such an individual, I now have a special respect for a business owner who made his own decision to be Union. I always thought that I enjoyed working Union for Fortune companies - maybe that was my mistake.

Post Likes
    Feel the same way brother! I was born in nj and always wondered what was so free everytime I heard the land of the free then i moved to ky to get out of nj and the first thing I said to myself is wow I get it now!

Post Likes
    Hey I worked for 420 and non union-guess what I get more from the non union company, not treated like a number that can be disposed of in the winter. They provide better benefits and training. There should be no disagreements between union and non-union. We are one industry. Where a person chooses to work is that persons business. When I worked union for every 4 great techs who took it seriously there were guys who did nothing to advance themselves, dragged jobs on. My father was also a 420 guy and put his card on the bench for the same reason.

We were not pipefitters-we were both B men who worked on Chillers, large boilers, steam in the city and larger rtu units. In my time and I'm 54 I have met techs on both sides that would do any company proud. Any company that can get to a certain size is doing something correct. I do know that when I was 420 there were more selfish sob's than non union. I can not say it is a union or non union thing-it is a personal thing. It is just more union techs are lazier. Again I also saw some techs that worked till they dropped. The company I work for has a safety rule that when it is over 85F or under 30F that 15 minutes from each hour go back to the truck to warm up or cool down. They provide a $50 card per tech for WAWA plus give watr out at the shop all year, and the hand and foot warmers in the winter.

Stop jumping on another tech because they chose to go a different way. Be happy your earning a good living, have benefits and a retirment plan. Imagine if you were born outside the USA and were stuck making a few dollars a day to do the same work you do,

18. Likes AdrianOmarPerez liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by delvaliaq View Post
    Hey I worked for 420 and non union-guess what I get more from the non union company, not treated like a number that can be disposed of in the winter. They provide better benefits and training. There should be no disagreements between union and non-union. We are one industry. Where a person chooses to work is that persons business. When I worked union for every 4 great techs who took it seriously there were guys who did nothing to advance themselves, dragged jobs on. My father was also a 420 guy and put his card on the bench for the same reason.

We were not pipefitters-we were both B men who worked on Chillers, large boilers, steam in the city and larger rtu units. In my time and I'm 54 I have met techs on both sides that would do any company proud. Any company that can get to a certain size is doing something correct. I do know that when I was 420 there were more selfish sob's than non union. I can not say it is a union or non union thing-it is a personal thing. It is just more union techs are lazier. Again I also saw some techs that worked till they dropped. The company I work for has a safety rule that when it is over 85F or under 30F that 15 minutes from each hour go back to the truck to warm up or cool down. They provide a $50 card per tech for WAWA plus give watr out at the shop all year, and the hand and foot warmers in the winter.

Stop jumping on another tech because they chose to go a different way. Be happy your earning a good living, have benefits and a retirment plan. Imagine if you were born outside the USA and were stuck making a few dollars a day to do the same work you do,
    Amen. I have always had an issue w/ being called a Pipefitter. Why have the call-on-work if you doN’T respect our work?

Post Likes

I just want to make sure I did not offend you.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianOmarPerez View Post
    Amen. I have always had an issue w/ being called a Pipefitter. Why have the call-on-work if you doN’T respect our work?

Hi I wanted to make sure I did not offend you. I get tired of being called a scab based on my choice of who I choose to work for.
    I think of HVAC technicians as being equal as humans. I dislike it when anyone does not give it there all. We have an issue in trades and I believe that both sides have to work together to bring in fresh blood.

Stay safe
    Ross

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in