+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I cant believe I did it again !!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pctech View Post
    dont you love it when they mislabel units? if i find one that way i relabel it with the correct unit or floor info and the currant date for the next person

Your comment reminds me of this location.
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleman View Post

Your comment reminds me of this location.
    What is really bad is when you disconnect the blower motor hoping you'll find lines freezing up to right condenser and you either find no lines freezing up to any of the condensers or several units frozen up.

3. Likes R600a, Turtleman, Snapperhead, YOUNG FROSTY liked this post.
    Post Likes
    what is this building looks like a hacked up mall turned rentable spaces?

Post Likes
    Hotel down town San Diego, next to Balboa Park. San Diego has great weather all the time.
    Sent from the van with the a/c on.

Post Likes
    I was doing some plumbing yesterday and it reminded me about a little Boo Boo I did

Like 20 years ago my boss remodeled his master bath on 2nd floor

I was doing all of the plumbing in this half million dollar home

So the whole floor has been ripped out , you look down and only see studs and sheetrock which of course was the ceiling for downstairs

The main shut off in the crawl didnt work very well , So I shut off the meter in the ground

Meter is located at the end of his driveway couple hundred feet away

I install copper pipe and BrassCraft shut off valves for 2 sinks , bath , toilet , looks nice and neat , Im admiring and smiling ear to ear

Walk down the driveway to turn meter back on

Stroll on back to house

Open front door and water is draining down from the chandelier in livingroom

Haul ass back down driveway , turn meter off !

Apparently you should turn ALL of the water valves off before turning water back on

By some miracle I was able to use a bath towel and shove down between studs soaking up the 1 inch deep water before it ruined any sheetrock

I was wringing the towel out about 50 times into a bucket

I never told him about it

7. Likes heatingman, Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I did a changeout last week. Air handler had no disconnect and in a multi system house. Find the breaker panel shut off the one labeled for the air handler I was Changing out. Went to cut the high voltage, boom. Nice arc show.

My fault for not confirming power wasn’t off before I started cutting wires!

Post Likes
    and someones getting a new pair of pliers for xmas

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch0311 View Post
    I did a changeout last week. Air handler had no disconnect and in a multi system house. Find the breaker panel shut off the one labeled for the air handler I was Changing out. Went to cut the high voltage, boom. Nice arc show.

My fault for not confirming power wasn’t off before I started cutting wires!
    Found the right breaker after that i presume.

Post Likes
    I remember some years ago before the advent of furnace electronics. We put a new furnace in a house and connected power to a SSU switch on the furnace with the black wire running through the fuse terminals, furnace would shut off with the SSU, all good.

Some years later I was back at the house and had to replace a fan/limit as I recall. I flipped the SSU, dialed the fan control, nothing started, started to remove wires from the control and blew the end of the screwdriver off. WTH! Started checking for power. Turned out the whole house was wired with the white wire being hot, instead of neutral as it should be. So the SSU was switching the neutral not the hot. I changed it on the SSU wiring to avoid future problems.

12. Dislikes YOUNG FROSTY disliked this post.
    Post Likes
    I once showed up to a house to do a leak search for a co worker was let in the house checked the coil then proceeded to outdoor unit. This is when the cop showed up and asked what I was doing. Appearantly I was 1 block away from the correct house. No wonder I couldn’t find a leak.

14. Likes Snapperhead, YOUNG FROSTY liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I remember some years ago before the advent of furnace electronics. We put a new furnace in a house and connected power to a SSU switch on the furnace with the black wire running through the fuse terminals, furnace would shut off with the SSU, all good.

Some years later I was back at the house and had to replace a fan/limit as I recall. I flipped the SSU, dialed the fan control, nothing started, started to remove wires from the control and blew the end of the screwdriver off. WTH! Started checking for power. Turned out the whole house was wired with the white wire being hot, instead of neutral as it should be. So the SSU was switching the neutral not the hot. I changed it on the SSU wiring to avoid future problems.
    Ive ran into this on Slum Rentals where the landlord did his own repairs

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    Yep, was labeled RANGE

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pnasty View Post
    That brings up a bad memory, thanks a lot.

Replacing a heat pump out in the country, electric back up. The furnace had a pull out type disconnect built into the front of it to kill power for service but that did not kill the power coming into the furnace. We tried every breaker and combination of breakers in the panel to no avail. Finally we pulled the panel cover and there it was. Some #@%&$%@$%&# bolted a lug on each buss bar and connected the wires there. I don't remember for sure but it seems like the only fuse for the furnace was the fuses inside the furnace and the 200 A at the power pole.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    I don't remember for sure but it seems like the only fuse for the furnace was the fuses inside the furnace and the 200 A at the power pole.
    I was diagnosing a residential receptacle that blowing "Fuse" ( yes it was old as dirt )

Took Fuse panel cover off and noticed a total different problem , they had the 220v Clothes Dryer wires (10ga) shoved in with the incoming service cable lugs !

I didnt feel comfortable removing the meter while it was raining out , so I crossed my fingers , said a little prayer, and snipped both wires at the lugs

This Fuse panel has the Extra terminals for adding a sub panel which are fed by the Main Fuses below the fuse group , so I landed the dryer there and installed a Square D Breaker box beneath the panel with 30A breaker

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathpunch0311 View Post
    Yep, was labeled RANGE
    I had one where a carpenter built and wired his own house and the upstairs furnace was labeled Xmas I'm sure I reset every clock in the house finding it.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

20. Likes YOUNG FROSTY liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
    I was diagnosing a residential receptacle that blowing "Fuse" ( yes it was old as dirt )

Took Fuse panel cover off and noticed a total different problem , they had the 220v Clothes Dryer wires (10ga) shoved in with the incoming service cable lugs !

I didnt feel comfortable removing the meter while it was raining out , so I crossed my fingers , said a little prayer, and snipped both wires at the lugs

This Fuse panel has the Extra terminals for adding a sub panel which are fed by the Main Fuses below the fuse group , so I landed the dryer there and installed a Square D Breaker box beneath the panel with 30A breaker
    Jesus christ bro. Why did they do that? They just bypassed the whole fuse panel and tapped the dryer direct into the incoming power? These stories are why I ALWAYS test wires even after shutting down the circuit. Holy ****

22. Likes Snapperhead liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Replaced a furnace recently with an a-coil already in place in a really tight closet. Got the old one out and went through a lot of grunting and finger crushing getting the new one slid in just right to line up... Then realized I forgot to knock out the return on the side. Back out it had to come!

At least I caught it before the gas and electric got tied back in.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in