Thread: Modified Handtruck - HVAC tool/material

Post Likes

Modified Handtruck - HVAC tool/material

For new installations, A lot of material and tools need to be transported for the truck to the condenser and inside the house. I love the packout system and was thinking of a modified pail Handtruck. Stacking 5 gallon buckets, 1 or 2 front to back, 3 high with metal plates between to allow for use from various buckets. Then having something to store, Pvc-emt-copper in 5' lengths on the side (yes it would require more couplings). Looking to reduce truck trips. Thoughts?

Post Likes
    sounds like an idea. My concern would be . . . wait for it, wait, wait, weight. Is it going to be to heavy to be practical. I think here with basements getting a cart up and down the stairs would be hard.

I can see where it would reduce some clutter maybe but I always use the trips to the truck to take something back I no longer need so it is not in the way.

3. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Get a variety of one of those 'little red wagon' carts... there are models available which carry a lot more, and even some collapsible ones...

Then there is always the best cart... a helper...

As BNM noted... when you go to the van for something... take something you are done with, back... and ALWAYS put it where it goes in the van!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

5. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    The rule is that the more stuff you can carry you will carry.

I have used the 12 x 12 soft side tool carrier/box, then realizing I need the steel carrying handle for a crutch to get up with, went to that, it was about 18 x 10. That start to get heavy.
    Then back to the old bucket Boss pocket system with the padded seat as I sit on my but a lot for service work....the padded seat will work as a kneeling pad BTW. And the edge of the bucket is now my "get up" crutch.

But in all cases there are too many pockets, you start out with minimal then, wait, I might need this inside and add a couple more items.
    Just have to dump it all out and go back to basics.....for awhile anyway.

Post Likes
    The best tool box I ever had was a Plano Tackle box with 3 shelves in it. The three shelves had dividers in them. The small stuff went on top, screws, wire nuts, nuts & bolts, etc. The middle shelf had thermostat screwdrivers, jumpers, stubby drivers, etc. The bottom shelf was small wrenches up to an open end 1/2 x 9/16, and some specialty stuff. The bottom had the big wrenches and screwdrivers along with Channels and Cresents, a fuse puller. The last one I had even had a couple bins on the top cover with snap on lids so when you opened the cover the stuff didn't spill out. After using it a while I didn't even have to look, I knew where everything was.

Then I switched to a Veto. I love the bag but could not get the stuff in it the Plano had and it was heavier.

Post Likes
    Copy that, the weight is definitely an issue. Thanks for the heads up. No empty hands keeps a lean operation.

Post Likes
    I'm the helper And who brought the work horse - that takes a lot of discipline to put it back where it goes, so rushing is not much of an option. Thanks

10. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Nice call on the bucket boss with seat/knee pad. Interesting. Working on the condenser with tools then vascilating back and forth between the EVAP and condenser tools start to get thin and the torch is in the mix also. Buckets help.

Post Likes
    Love love love the Plano tackle box. Not too familiar with the Veto, looked it up. It's an investment for sure. Plano does make a backpack with compartments and plastic bins. Maybe a saltwater setup would be enough space for one job, then change them out daily with replenished material for the job of the day.....then there are always the variable of building....thanks all

Post Likes
    I often use a trip to the truck to stretch my legs.
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

14. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    I often use a trip to the truck to stretch my legs.
    That would explain the 4feet long legs with a total body height of 5'2".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BNME8EZ View Post
    That would explain the 4feet long legs with a total body height of 5'2".
    LOL !
    I do a triple evac with nitro to remove non condensables.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by matt12345 View Post
    For new installations, A lot of material and tools need to be transported for the truck to the condenser and inside the house. I love the packout system and was thinking of a modified pail Handtruck. Stacking 5 gallon buckets, 1 or 2 front to back, 3 high with metal plates between to allow for use from various buckets. Then having something to store, Pvc-emt-copper in 5' lengths on the side (yes it would require more couplings). Looking to reduce truck trips. Thoughts?
    Good Idea, and the possibilites are endless. I was forced to do this many years ago, because i had no service truck, and worked out of my old 74 Bronco 4x4. I made-up 4 cantilelver boxes, one Electrical, one A/C-Refrigeration, one copper/brass fittings, and one hand tools and test gauges box. There are so many good looking modular boxes, and transports, including rough weather trak mover's on the market now days, you can design whatever suits you.. I show my electrical box below, short my digital meters of course.

LZ...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Awesome box - And the separation of material/tools is great. Thanks for the visual.
    Thread rated (PG)

Trackmobile came up when I searched the Rough weather trak mover (this appears to be a railroad sand dispensing system). I don't believe that was the endless possibility you refered to above. And I'm curious of a specific piece of equipment you've worked with.

LOL short my Digital Meters

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by matt12345 View Post
    Awesome box - And the separation of material/tools is great. Thanks for the visual.
    Thread rated (PG)

Trackmobile came up when I searched the Rough weather trak mover (this appears to be a railroad sand dispensing system). I don't believe that was the endless possibility you refered to above. And I'm curious of a specific piece of equipment you've worked with.

LOL short my Digital Meters
    I was referring to the cart movers to get the boxes to the work site. I used everything from a wheel barrel, to movers dolly, to red flier wagon when needed. I see they have electric motorized carts now, with rubber tracks, that are good for all weather conditions, (well almost all). Lol. PS: I had the rubber tank like track mover up last night, but must have deleted it. Stand by and i will find it again. Here is just one platform to build on, and the only limitation is how much money you want to spend. Thank You for the Kind Words, and Good Luck to You!

LZ...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

20. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.