+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Air flow measurement tools?

R600a is offline Professional Member*/Membership Committee
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes

Air flow measurement tools?

What would you recommend?
    We are a three-man family company that does mostly residential at the moment we're not in a high-end market mostly just rentals but we want to be able to accurately measure total system air flow and possibly air flow at each register.
    I really like the idea of the energy conservatory true flow grid but the $1,500 meter you need to operate it is too much for us so I need to find out if it can be operated with a regular manometer at least for a while until we can afford it.

Sent from the Okie state usin Tapatalk
    "Is this before or after you fired the parts cannon at it?" - senior tech
    I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.
    Unless we change direction we are likely to end up where we are going.
    "It's not new, it's better than new!" Maru.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by R600a View Post
    We are a three-man family company that does mostly residential at the moment we're not in a high-end market mostly just rentals but we want to be able to accurately measure total system air flow and possibly air flow at each register.
    I really like the idea of the energy conservatory true flow grid but the $1,500 meter you need to operate it is too much for us so I need to find out if it can be operated with a regular manometer at least for a while until we can afford it.

I think CPS makes a flow hood that would be within your price range and accurate enough for your needs. You aren't doing T&B work so I wouldn't go crazy.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

3. Likes WAYNE3298, R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    If you can't afford the proper tools, you're not charging enough. $1500 isn't a lot for something you will use, and you need.
    If it's something you only use a few times a year, maybe you buddy up with someone from a larger company and borrow/rent theirs.
    I don't do much, but I use these with success, same as @shellkamp mentioned:
    https://www.cpsproducts.com/hvacr/airflow/
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    Forget the flow grid.
    No man can be both ignorant and free.
    Thomas Jefferson

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVEusaPA View Post
    If you can't afford the proper tools, you're not charging enough. $1500 isn't a lot for something you will use, and you need.
    If it's something you only use a few times a year, maybe you buddy up with someone from a larger company and borrow/rent theirs.
    I don't do much, but I use these with success, same as @shellkamp mentioned:
    https://www.cpsproducts.com/hvacr/airflow/
    Is this hood compatible with the MQ (measurequik) app???
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes

The Fieldpiece wireless probe set up does a good job of measuring total system CFM.

If you want something cheap and your just trying to a VERY rough idea through registers, the AAB AMB200 flow meter which is now also being sold as a CPS unit does OK. But honestly, I wouldn't trust that it's within 20% of actual.

Post Likes
    Measurequick used with the fieldpiece job link kit will give you calculated cfm, but the system super heat needs to be in the ballpark of where it should be for the measurement to be accurate. For example if the system has 40 degrees of super heat under conditions that call for 10, the MQ estimated air flow will be much higher than actual air flow. Having the probes in line of sight of the coil will also give false readings. I have been ckecking MQ calculated air flow in comparison to TESP on new installs. They have been fairly close.

TESP is a good way, but you will need: the manufacture's blower chart, it will only work with an OEM motor, coils and blower wheel need to be clean. If the system has an aftermarket motor, TESP isn't going to be a very useful measurement.

A vane anemometer can be accurate, but it won't account for duct leakage, and you will often have to guess at the AK factor of the return grill.

A temp rise formula can be very accurate as long as the probes are not in line of sight of the heat strips or heat exchanger. Can be used on a gas furnace, but probably won't be very accurate due to not having any way of knowing precisely what the furnace heat output is. Better for an electric furnace.

There are going to be limitations on most tools and techniques.
    -Marty

9. Likes kdean1 liked this post.
    Hanging out with the mice behind the fridge talking bad about the roaches in the oven.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    Forget the flow grid.
    Why?

I'm tired of these mediocre "semi flammable" refrigerants. If we're going to do it let's do it right.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Of course. You take the measurement and enter manually.

12. Likes ga-hvac-tech liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian8383 View Post
    The Fieldpiece wireless probe set up does a good job of measuring total system CFM.

If you want something cheap and your just trying to a VERY rough idea through registers, the AAB AMB200 flow meter which is now also being sold as a CPS unit does OK. But honestly, I wouldn't trust that it's within 20% of actual.
    I want a good deal but if it is not accurate then I don't want to bother using it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by m singer View Post
    Measurequick used with the fieldpiece job link kit will give you calculated cfm, but the system super heat needs to be in the ballpark of where it should be for the measurement to be accurate. For example if the system has 40 degrees of super heat under conditions that call for 10, the MQ estimated air flow will be much higher than actual air flow. Having the probes in line of sight of the coil will also give false readings. I have been ckecking MQ calculated air flow in comparison to TESP on new installs. They have been fairly close.

TESP is a good way, but you will need: the manufacture's blower chart, it will only work with an OEM motor, coils and blower wheel need to be clean. If the system has an aftermarket motor, TESP isn't going to be a very useful measurement.

A vane anemometer can be accurate, but it won't account for duct leakage, and you will often have to guess at the AK factor of the return grill.

A temp rise formula can be very accurate as long as the probes are not in line of sight of the heat strips or heat exchanger. Can be used on a gas furnace, but probably won't be very accurate due to not having any way of knowing precisely what the furnace heat output is. Better for an electric furnace.

There are going to be limitations on most tools and techniques.
    That is really interesting.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I don't know that answer, but the CPS stuff has it's own free app.
    If I do a job in 30 minutes it's because I spent 30 years learning how to do that in 30 minutes. You owe me for the years, not the minutes.

Helpful Calcs, tips, tricks on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgm...TUTAdKmqRiTDEg

Post Likes
    I recommend either a Fieldpiece or Testo manometer to start. Or a Magnahelic with a case to protect it. Make it a practice to measure static pressure. As has been mentioned already, you must make sure the blower and coil are clean.
    Take one of the NCI courses if you are serious about learning.

The flowgrid is a great tool, but you can get satisfactory measurements with affordable instruments. When you need precision get the flowgrid or a flow hood.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    I recommend either a Fieldpiece or Testo manometer to start. Or a Magnahelic with a case to protect it. Make it a practice to measure static pressure. As has been mentioned already, you must make sure the blower and coil are clean.
    Take one of the NCI courses if you are serious about learning.

The flowgrid is a great tool, but you can get satisfactory measurements with affordable instruments. When you need precision get the flowgrid or a flow hood.
    We have fieldpiece dual port and the new wireless probes and Testo dual-port wireless. My problem is we have a lot of systems that don't have original blower motors and are not clean and sometimes I need airflow for proper diagnosis.
    I'm going to have to take one of those classes at some point.

Post Likes
    We have fieldpiece dual port and the new wireless probes and Testo dual-port wireless. My problem is we have a lot of systems that don't have original blower motors and are not clean and sometimes I need airflow for proper diagnosis.

How about a pitot tube? You'll still need a sensitive manometer.
    I have a CPS flow hood as well as a Testo flow hood. The CPS should not be considered accurate. It's okay for before and after measurements when making duct improvements.
    As far as a dirty blower, there's no hope of getting reliable measurements of air flow or refrigeration performance until it has been cleaned.
    I measured my own system with both the flowgrid and flow hood and they both measure 759 CFM. Then I cleaned the blower wheel which looked more dusty than dirty. It did not look like a build up of dirt. I debated wether it needed to be cleaned but I figured I'd gone the trouble of removing the blower so I cleaned it. Measurement after cleaning was 1049 CFM. The lesson is, if it doesn't look clean, it isn't. Clean it.
    https://www.hvac20.com/ High efficiency equipment alone does not provide home comfort and efficiency. HVAC2.0 is a process for finding the real needs of the house and the occupants. Offer the customer a menu of work to address their problems and give them a probability of success.

Find contractors with specialized training in combustion analysis, residential system performance, air flow, and duct optimization https://www.myhomecomfort.org/

Post Likes
    Testo mini vane or fieldpiece hot wire will give total cfm measured in main duck trunk near furnace

Post Likes
    I was at a NCI class. We did a side-by-side comparison with a fieldpiece hotwire vs flow hood. The fieldpiece doing transverse was very close to the hood measurements. in residential to give you a very close idea of what cfm is. It does require practice.
    Good luck.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    How about a pitot tube? You'll still need a sensitive manometer.
    I have a CPS flow hood as well as a Testo flow hood. The CPS should not be considered accurate. It's okay for before and after measurements when making duct improvements.
    As far as a dirty blower, there's no hope of getting reliable measurements of air flow or refrigeration performance until it has been cleaned.
    I measured my own system with both the flowgrid and flow hood and they both measure 759 CFM. Then I cleaned the blower wheel which looked more dusty than dirty. It did not look like a build up of dirt. I debated wether it needed to be cleaned but I figured I'd gone the trouble of removing the blower so I cleaned it. Measurement after cleaning was 1049 CFM. The lesson is, if it doesn't look clean, it isn't. Clean it.

I had a call this summer with a customer advising that his system had frozen up. He had a competitor out who said that it was 2# low on R-22, but the competitor didn't have r22 on his truck.

The blower wheel was almost completely clogged and the evap coil was pretty bad as well. I cleaned them both and ended up having to pull a couple of pounds of gas out to reach target super heat. Sadly so typical.
    -Marty

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by m singer View Post
    I had a call this summer with a customer advising that his system had frozen up. He had a competitor out who said that it was 2# low on R-22, but the competitor didn't have r22 on his truck.

The blower wheel was almost completely clogged and the evap coil was pretty bad as well. I cleaned them both and ended up having to pull a couple of pounds of gas out to reach target super heat. Sadly so typical.
    A tech without R-22? Something seriously wrong there.

A tech who wants to add refrigerant before checking air flow? Par for the course. Good for you for looking at the whole system before doing a gas-n-go.

23. Likes R600a liked this post.
    Post Likes
    A tech without R-22? Something seriously wrong there.

A tech who wants to add refrigerant before checking air flow? Par for the course. Good for you for looking at the whole system before doing a gas-n-go.
    Was talking to a 'tech' (sales tech would be more accurate) a week or so ago... guy works for one of the big shops in town.
    He said they do not carry R22 or any substitute anymore...
    The official policy of the company is:
    It is 10 years out of date... we do not service them anymore, only replace them.

Oh, and for the locals... the name begins with a 'C'...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in