+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HVAC career

Post Likes

HVAC career

hello. I am 29 and work as a hvac mechanic/ operator at public school. I make about $750 for every 2 week after paying taxes and ect..
    However, I would like to become a hvac contractor in the future. If I have 4 years experiences, I can apply contractor exam. Here is the main question. I have a wife and a child. They get great health benefits thru my job. Also, paid time off, sick days, free medical insurance for employee, and 3 days off in a week are provided.

Do I keep this job or looking for anther job which deals with residential services and installations?

Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by taran7 View Post
    hello. I am 29 and work as a hvac mechanic/ operator at public school. I make about $750 for every 2 week after paying taxes and ect..
    However, I would like to become a hvac contractor in the future. If I have 4 years experiences, I can apply contractor exam. Here is the main question. I have a wife and a child. They get great health benefits thru my job. Also, paid time off, sick days, free medical insurance for employee, and 3 days off in a week are provided.

Do I keep this job or looking for anther job which deals with residential services and installations?

Thanks.
    It would be really bad judgement on your part to leave what most seek(stability,benifits and great working environment) for a resi company...

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Thank you for your opinion. I am looking forward better the future. With this job, I don't get much real field experiences, no over time and not enough income. I have less than 1 year in hvac field. That's why I have no idea what to do.

Post Likes
    Join the UA Local in your area if it exists
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

5. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH, nutradesman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by taran7 View Post
    Thank you for your opinion. I am looking forward better the future. With this job, I don't get much real field experiences, no over time and not enough income. I have less than 1 year in hvac field. That's why I have no idea what to do.
    Look into a local 286/ union job. Pay is likely more and benefits are the same. For your intrest it would be a best bet. Plus you'd be a shoe in as you work for a school. Best part is the continuing education. I recently joined the local 286...

I never knew what i was missing... Dude go for it.

While you figure all that... Go to hvacrschool.com and run through the tech tips section. Learn and grow bro.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Look for a commercial/industrial apprenticeship.

8. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    taran7
    You don't say what part of the county you are in. Wages vary immensely across the country. With your experience and training level I would bet you will not find something better in a shop doing resi installs, might even be less than you have now. But that does not mean you can't get better pay or benefits. Public Schools in general have best benefits and retirement programs. Have you tried to get a Union Apprenticeship for HVAC? If No, go apply. All the skilled trades need guys willing to learn. You would be hard pressed to get better training than a union apprenticeship. You get paid to learn and your knowledge & skills and pay grows fairly quick. You might be an apprentice for 4 or 5 years. When you get done your pay will be good and your credentials can be used any place in the country. Now union is not for everyone, but for you to do better you need training and lot's of it, and what reinforces training is the work experience. Unless you do a lot of self study and or take some classes. just doing regular job for 3 more years you probably would not pass the contractor test first time around. Getting your contractors license is just one step, there are many more to be successful working for yourself.

I do wish you the best, you need more training to get where you want to go I hope you find a way to get it.

10. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH, ksefan liked this post.
    Post Likes
    you learn alot more working for a res or com company than you do at a school dist. but the bad part is you donot have scheduled hours. Trying to plan a life around a job that you have no idea what time you are going to get off. It gets very tiresome. The upside is you get alot of experience. It didnt bother me much when i was younger but now. I want to be off at a specified time each day. But would not change my past working all those hours because it made me a good tech

12. Likes CEAS-AC-TECH liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Where are you located? Like someone else said, the UA is the way to go and will open up opportunities for a rewarding and lucrative career.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in