+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Northstar flake ice

Post Likes

Northstar flake ice

What is the ideal salinity level to make the best ice?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by polarey907 View Post
    What is the ideal salinity level to make the best ice?
    What is this salty water/ice being used for?

Post Likes
    It is flake ice we use for keeping seafood (Pollock,salmon,halibut,cod)chilled during processing prior to going into the blast freezers and/or plate freezers

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by polarey907 View Post
    It is flake ice we use for keeping seafood (Pollock,salmon,halibut,cod)chilled during processing prior to going into the blast freezers and/or plate freezers
    Doesn't the salinity depend on the available water source. Atlantic,Pacific, Salt Lake. Or are you making your own salt water?

Post Likes
    Northstar recommends starting at 100-200 ppm and then adjust the feed rate of your salt feeder to get the best ice removal from the drum.

AAEC840northstariceflakermanual.pdf

Post Likes
    We have a brine barrel that pumps salt brine to each ice maker.in the make-up water box we mix fresh city water with the brine.the brine line and water line going to the water box are controlled/metered with your typical ball valve.ive been doing refrigeration now for awhile but I'm fairly new to the ice making.i know salt effects the freezing point of water so I figured there is probably a ideal salinity level you would want in order to make the best ice.
    Thank you guys very much for taking the time to share your knowledge with me.very much appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in