Thread: Airtemp Chrysler model/ serial breakdown

Post Likes

Airtemp Chrysler model/ serial breakdown

Good morning crew,

Anyone able to break this model and serial down from an ol’ Chrysler Airtemp package unit. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Model: 1104-01k
    Serial: 8B00580

Post Likes
    I couldn't find too much.

Packaged air conditioner 35,000 BTU's, 5700 watts. I don't have resources that show S/N's that far back but it looks like it was made in the 60's.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovert View Post
    I couldn't find too much.

Packaged air conditioner 35,000 BTU's, 5700 watts. I don't have resources that show S/N's that far back but it looks like it was made in the 60's.
    Excellent, either way gets me closer than I was before, If you don’t mind me asking how did you get to 35,000 btu’s out of those numbers, or is it just a formula they used?
    thank you and greatly appreciate your help,
    Joe

Post Likes
    There is a Congressional hearing report from 1971 (Senate Committee on Commerce) that documents the capacity and energy input of many air conditioners. That is where it lists those numbers. I also found an Irish plumbing and heating journal from 1964 that mentioned that specific model number.

5. Likes theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I believe it is the "4" in 1104 that indicates size. 1102 was 24,000, 1104 was 35,000, 1105 was 47,000, 1106 was 58,000, 1109 was 89,000, and 1112 was 120,000.

7. Likes theoldscroll liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Pictures!

Post Likes
    What refrigerant, R12, R500, R22? Curious,..Is it on the legible data plate.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...TZgOH_mKL09Jt9

He says 4th and 5th digits but the info shows 3rd and 4th digit, shows 3 tons? If this info package is correct.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 08-01-2020 at 02:45 PM.

Post Likes
    Found this,

Chrysler Air Temp: Age is shown by the first digit of the serial number and corresponds to the last number of the year of manufacturer. Example 0C893745 = 1970. 1 = 1971, 2 = 1972, etc. Use common sense and visual observation to distinguish decades from one another.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Pictures!
    Yes, he should get a picture, especially if it is being replaced as it may be the last one in existance. Cut some teeth as a young tech on airtemp equipment working for a dealer.Their package units were rare around here. Furnaces seemed to have been built by unemployed Sherman tank builders after WW2. Some had millivolt gas valves, and the IDFR was in the condenser, so there was a separate 120v romax to the condenser to switch the fan on. I believe all I ever seen were R22 models.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by theoldscroll View Post
    Yes, he should get a picture, especially if it is being replaced as it may be the last one in existance. Cut some teeth as a young tech on airtemp equipment working for a dealer.Their package units were rare around here. Furnaces seemed to have been built by unemployed Sherman tank builders after WW2. Some had millivolt gas valves, and the IDFR was in the condenser, so there was a separate 120v romax to the condenser to switch the fan on. I believe all I ever seen were R22 models.
    A lot of them were installed around my area in the 1960-70's . Tough units even with the crap installs of the now defunct company that sold them around my town, no vacume just blow R22 till you get the air out
    Someone asked about refrigerant type & mentioned r500. That was a Carrier patent and I've only seen one non Carrier product with r500 and that was a portable dehumidifier used in a very large paint storage room & that was at least 20 yrs aho

13. Likes theoldscroll liked this post.