+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deep fryers , who makes a good one ??

Post Likes

Deep fryers , who makes a good one ??

under 2 grand ..... 40lb is what Id like to find

I see Pitco offers a 900 dollar one , and 1600 dollar one

The expensive one supposedly saves money on your Gas bill AND heats faster

But .... Pretty much Every manufacturer use the un-relieble milivolt with the high limit that craps out every year , or the stat for that matter

I know of 1 Pitco Frialator thats about 20 years old in this chinese joint , and the tank is dripping now , but other than that , its was sooooooo friggin dependable , I think I replaced the Thermocouple once

Its got the "Gas Valve" used as a thermostat type deal ( Robertshaw 4290-006 ) that last forever

So anyhow , anyone know of a decent fryer under 2 grand ?

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    You speak favorably of that particular Chinese restaurant's Pitco fryer with the Robertshaw 4290-006 thermostat. That's a hydraulic thermostat, referred to as a GS thermostat. Those use gas flow to actuate a bleed-type combination valve when there's a call for heat. It's a unique setup which Pitco seems to be the only ones using.

I agree that they're very dependable. They don't rely so heavily on the thermopile's overall circuit as standard millivolt fryers do since that circuit is only limited to the pilot valve (through the hi-limit) -vs- straight-up millivolt fryers also requiring the 750mV thermopile output to power the main valve as well.

Troubleshooting them can be challenging for those who don't know how they work. However, looking back to when I was in the field, service calls on those fryers were rare...so that may very well be a testament to your statement of how dependable they are.

So anyhow...
    Do they still make them?
    Yes.
    Model 35C+, 45+ and a few others. They're all economy fryers which should sell below your 2 grand mark.

Post Likes
    holy cow you're right !

I wonder how long it lasts nowadays

4. Likes ECtofix liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Vulcan!

Post Likes
    Yeah well Vulcan offers some crap ones just like anyone else , but , they have nice Heavy Duty ones too , just like the Pitco's , long as you purchase the ones that cost 3 grand they last

2 grand and under all manufacturers put the Crap parts inside

Post Likes
    When choosing a kitchen appliance for the home, it is important to pay attention to the main functional characteristics of the device, which will allow you to prepare delicious dishes.

The efficiency of use depends on a number of factors and parameters. When choosing, you need to pay attention to the following characteristics::

Capacity. This characteristic depends on the volume of the oil and the weight of the product. For economical use of products, it is advisable to spend less oil and fry more products.
    The standard volume of the oil tank is 2.2 liters, the maximum volume is 5 liters.

Power. The device is equipped with a heating element. The recommended power is 800-2000 watts. The higher the power rating, the faster the frying oil heats up.
    For home cooking, a device with a power of 1200-1400 Watts is recommended. The maximum power of the production machines is 5000 watts.

Management. Models are available with electronic (buttons are used) and mechanical control (rotary knobs are used). Electronic control provides a step-by-step transition to the modes.
    It is better to choose a smooth controller to control the frying process.

Post Likes
    I agree, the Pitco fryers are tuff, but I have worked on a few of the newer models, under warranty, I just dont think anyone makes things like they once did, and its a crap shoot. I have seen a set of 4 fryers, all Dean and 3 not work, all showing different millivolt values, but 2 of the fryers would fire off at lower millivolts than the one, but then shut off due to the heat being pulled away from the pilot and a fine line between the pilot pressure being to high or not enough, but that 4th fryer, was a tank and never had a problem, and one of the 3 was getting a new millivolt thermopile every 6 months.
    "Orange Man RAD!"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OliverCampbell View Post
    When choosing a kitchen appliance for the home, it is important to pay attention to the main functional characteristics of the device, which will allow you to prepare delicious dishes.

The efficiency of use depends on a number of factors and parameters. When choosing, you need to pay attention to the following characteristics::

Capacity. This characteristic depends on the volume of the oil and the weight of the product. For economical use of products, it is advisable to spend less oil and fry more products.
    The standard volume of the oil tank is 2.2 liters, the maximum volume is 5 liters.

Power. The device is equipped with a heating element. The recommended power is 800-2000 watts. The higher the power rating, the faster the frying oil heats up.
    For home cooking, a device with a power of 1200-1400 Watts is recommended. The maximum power of the production machines is 5000 watts.

Management. Models are available with electronic (buttons are used) and mechanical control (rotary knobs are used). Electronic control provides a step-by-step transition to the modes.
    It is better to choose a smooth controller to control the frying process.
    You left out the amount of BTU's needed to cook the product by weight volume, at frozen and room temperature
    "Orange Man RAD!"

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RMSG01 View Post
    I agree, the Pitco fryers are tuff, but I have worked on a few of the newer models, under warranty, I just dont think anyone makes things like they once did, and its a crap shoot. I have seen a set of 4 fryers, all Dean and 3 not work, all showing different millivolt values, but 2 of the fryers would fire off at lower millivolts than the one, but then shut off due to the heat being pulled away from the pilot and a fine line between the pilot pressure being to high or not enough, but that 4th fryer, was a tank and never had a problem, and one of the 3 was getting a new millivolt thermopile every 6 months.
    man its terrible on quality now , I keep on hand 2 HL , 2 t-stats , and about 10 thermocouples , and 10 thermopiles , all diff legnths

Post Likes
    I once had to replace gas valve on a Dean fryer under warranty at a Mexican restaurant. The Latino owner was giving me the "what for" about how that's a new fryer and already broken.
    I so happened to have the retrograde valve in my hand and glanced at it as I mulled over how I should respond. The view of a sticker on the valve jumped out at me. It said "Hecho in Mexico". I showed it to him. He scoffed and walked away.

I love moments like that.

12. Likes dieseldude, crazzycajun, Turtleman liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RMSG01 View Post
    You left out the amount of BTU's needed to cook the product by weight volume, at frozen and room temperature
    I guess his source of info on Google left that part out.

Post Likes
    Honestly the $900 pitco is about the same as the $400 chinesium units.
    And for cheap units the chinese stuff seems ok. Not seeing a ton of warranty or service on them.
    But then again I'm only seeing 70lb+ units so the smaller stuff isn't on my radar.
    I've been really impressed with quest lately. Really well built and the only things I'm seeing with them is thermostats. And those stats aren't cheap, but no other issues

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ECtofix View Post
    I once had to replace gas valve on a Dean fryer under warranty .
    Just come home from doing a Gas Valve on a 2 year old Avantco Deep Fryer ... had 1 year warranty

Even the Manufacturer knows its junk LOL

16. Likes ECtofix liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Proper air fryers or cooking equipment when paired with the best butcher Brisbane meats in town can make a lot of difference in cooking.

Post Likes
    Is it leaking on a Weld? Get a Welder that can Weld Stainless Steel, and have him patch the weld. I had that done on a Fryer where I used to work. BTW I had to drag it outside, and use Four Cans of Oven Cleaner on it, before it could be welded. BTW, an A **** Bean Counter took credit for the repair.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in